JohnSurrey

How To Remove Water When Digging Below Water Table

JohnSurrey

How do people here dig out a hole and lay the foundations for a septic tank ?

The water table here is about 6 inches below the surface and the plan is to dig down about 8 feet.

All I can think of is using a pump.

noddle

Will the septic still work with such high water table ?

many years ago where I lived (in Aus),  it used a septic, and every time it rained, the toilet would not flush,

I assume it was because the ground was water logged ( high water table )

Nigel

• Like 2

Jawny

I have had a shallow well dug in an area with a high water table (a couple of meters below surface). The workers just dig and used buckets to remove the accumulating water.

I am guessing, but this is a sewage tank you are constructing, not a septic "system " with the associated drain field. Essentially, a box into which the sewage flows and is pumped out every so often.

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, JohnSurrey said:

How do people here dig out a hole and lay the foundations for a septic tank ?

The water table here is about 6 inches below the surface and the plan is to dig down about 8 feet.

All I can think of is using a pump.

Know anyone else in the area that has solved this? HW stores sell a ready made septic tank but with water that high, it would probably push that tank up out of the ground.  Perhaps use that tank or a masonry tank above ground with an effluent pump and call the honey dipper regularly.  

Do you have a well? Are there other septic systems in the area?

• Like 2

to_dave007
30 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Know anyone else in the area that has solved this? HW stores sell a ready made septic tank but with water that high, it would probably push that tank up out of the ground.  Perhaps use that tank or a masonry tank above ground with an effluent pump and call the honey dipper regularly.  

Do you have a well? Are there other septic systems in the area?

Totally agree.. I wouldn't do anything without speaking to someone who has already dealt successfully with this with such a high water table.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Perhaps get with your municipal engineer and see what they recommend?

• Like 1

SkyMan
4 hours ago, fred42 said:

That looks like a winner if you have room for it.

• Like 2

JohnSurrey

Hehehe... guess I thought it must be straightforward given the number of septics tanks we've already got here already!

JohnSurrey
7 hours ago, fred42 said:

Wicked stuff :D

When he got to tank no 7 with the chlorine tablet I thought he was going to say he pumped the water into his swimming pool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan

One thing I noticed in that video is I think he has his Ts turned wrong.  The openings should be vertical, not horizontal. But it works for him because he has them on an elbow with the T down in the tank.  The purpose of the T is not in case one side clogs as he stated, it's to allow the scum layer (oils, fats, soap) to rise above the drain and passing only the water. With so many tanks , I think I would put each successive tank a few inches below the previous with each input a few inches above the outlet.

8 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Wicked stuff :D

When he got to tank no 7 with the chlorine tablet I thought he was going to say he pumped the water into his swimming pool!

Hahaha, he should end the video taking a dipper from the last tank and drinking it.  Hahahaha 

fred42
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That looks like a winner if you have room for it.

That statement of yours made me think.. Our house is on 5ft concrete stilts/posts.. I could put about 10 chambers down there..
Only things I would do different is the the air pump..It would be a solar powered.

• Like 1

Jawny
18 hours ago, fred42 said:

The only part I found doubtful was that his shit doesn’t stink. 

• Haha 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

That statement of yours made me think.. Our house is on 5ft concrete stilts/posts.. I could put about 10 chambers down there..
Only things I would do different is the the air pump..It would be a solar powered.

Yeah but don't you already have a septic system?  I don't see a particular value to doing it this way other than for a special need like high water table. It's not like it's somehow greener than an in ground system. 

fred42
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Yeah but don't you already have a septic system?  I don't see a particular value to doing it this way other than for a special need like high water table. It's not like it's somehow greener than an in ground system. 

Some local bushmen dug ours 11 years ago before I had any understanding of how septic tanks work..They hollow blocked the walls and put in three chambers but left the floor as rock/soil in every chamber.. No problems thus far but could be anytime soon!!