PhilsFan
13 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

This is a great illustration of the insanity. What you're proposing is that a 20 minute charge can carry a Tesla for 200 miles, 

Ahem...and yet, less than 12 hours later..here it is. 75 miles in 5 minutes going forward. Older cars (ie. 2012's, etc.) get a bump in speed as well, but not quite this fast. Give them 2-3 years and you will be looking at 250mi+ in 10 minutes. close enough, given all the other advantages. The reasons left not to buy a Tesla  (and a weak reason, at that) are being crushed.  CUV out next year (maybe sooner?) Pickup in 1 -2 years.

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PhilsFan

• lamoe

• DeedleNuts

• KID

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's finally here! The $35k Tesla has arrived.  Order on your phone in 1-5 minutes, arrives at your home in 2-4 weeks. 7 day/1000 mile no-hassle return if not happy. 500K-1Mil mile driv

Boy you certainly wouldn't want to take a long trip if you have to stop every 170 miles to recharge.

Can anyone guess who has invested in Tesla stock ?

Posted Images

DeedleNuts
9 hours ago, PhilsFan said:

Ahem...and yet, less than 12 hours later..here it is. 75 miles in 5 minutes going forward.

First .... not 200 miles in 20 minutes yet. Second, no, "people want to stop at a Tesla charging station every few hours" is still mostly a false proposition. Some strange Tesla fanbois/fetishists might love to polish Tesla charge stations but most people want to DRIVE their car. Finally, that's not 75 miles in anything but the most optimal conditions. Drive 80 mph and/or in cold weather and watch that wither.

As I said, they will get there eventually and when they do I'll buy an electric car. 

Edited by DeedleNuts
lamoe
On 3/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, DeedleNuts said:

No, I think it's a great commuter, but it's a sh*t replacement for a conventional car for general purpose use. If a person didn't have use for a pickup truck, or actually had a daily commute and needed two cars, it would make a great 2nd car maybe. 

By 'it' I mean an electric car, not necessarily a Tesla. I'd prefer something like the Ioniq or some other car made by a company that's not still learning how to make cars, personally. 

Here's the same trip in the long range 3:

image.thumb.png.580c4321c2b5c22649e6e7b6e8168245.png

This trip is about as good as it gets, realistically, for a Tesla. Mostly right up a west coast interstate, no rural sightseeing side trips, and so on. Wander away from the chargers, make a few side trips to PoI, and it gets even more interesting. Electrics are likely the future, but they're not ready to take over the world yet. 

For this use case, one COULD have an electric and rent a real car for long trips. This is an option. Not an option that appeals to me but an option nonetheless. However, the fact that the electric is incapable of doing what a conventional car or PHEV can do simply means it's not a suitable replacement, YET. 

Is that in actual time, or Tesla time. As I said, it's not good enough yet. Maybe soon, almost surely eventually, but not today. 

Most who are posting negative remarks are actually supportive of E-cars

1 stop  midpoint after 6 / 7 hours

image.thumb.png.b2980c5d12e95513519efb8ef80ff1ee.png

• Like 1
DeedleNuts
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Most who are posting negative remarks are actually supportive of E-cars

1 stop  midpoint after 6 / 7 hours

image.thumb.png.b2980c5d12e95513519efb8ef80ff1ee.png

Exactly.

Here's the dirty little secret of Tesla and other electric cars: 

• Range is estimated on a basis of fairly moderate driving in fairly moderate conditions. If you're driving fast, expect range to be reduced significantly.
  • If it's cold and you're using heat, expect range to be reduced significantly, particularly at lower speeds. Also, cold doesn't help typical battery chemistries.
  • Charging "at 1000 mph" sounds great, but that's just for a partial charge so far AFAIK. To top off typical batteries, the charge rate has to ramp down at some point. Just because you can charge 75 miles in 5 minutes does not, as far as I have seen, mean you can charge (for instance) a 220 mile model 3 from empty to full in 15 minutes. It's not linear. 

I'm fairly sure they will solve it eventually. When they do I'll get one. Until that day, I drive my PHEV all over town without using a drop of gasoline most of the time, and I can still take the drive you outlined above if I need to. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

41711.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1