rep1

Packaging computer/glass?

rep1

Anyone packaged computer with delicate glass surface before?

I lost the original PC case box and run out of space in my hard luggage. So what I'm really asking is how to DIY a shock-proof container.

The PC is slim, one of the two large sides is a piece of tampered glass, which I worry most. I'm thinking of:

+======== 2in styrofoam  ========+

2in foam || glass || 2in foam || PC case || 2in foam

+======== 2in styrofoam =========+

Both of glass and PC case are also to be covered by EPE foam sheet.

The PC case is hard and if the 2in styrofoam is back by hard surface, it should be able to absorb shock without bending/breaking?

But should I keep some distance from the glass to the styrofoam surface containing it, with columns of small foam etc? The original packaging did leave some space, instead of

======= styrofoam =========

-------- glass  -----------

They had:

======= styrofoam =====================

||         ||       ||       || styrofoam

-------- glass  -----------------------

Is it just for saving cost? Or the pressure on a single point of the covering styrofoam be too strong to break the glass??

And I should add some wrapping on the styrofoam to prevent scratching? what of sackcloth? or layers of thick/non-transparent tape would do?

Edited by rep1

Davaoeno

bubble wrap

rep1
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

bubble wrap

I bought that too but unable to find the thick type, with bubbles like 2in or 3in in diameter and  cannot be broken without a knife. Such type is what I used to carry my other equipment here.

SkyMan

Put styrofoam in the bottom of the box. Tape the monitor to the case with foam in between.  Put those in a garbage bag and into the box. Fill the remaining space with clothing or spray foam insulation.  I think Stuff It, is a brand name for that.

• Thanks 1

Davaoeno

I use bubble wrap all the time. I like it much better than styrofoam or even the foam peanuts. 

download.jpg

• Thanks 1

Goetz1965

Just bring it to LBC and let them send it - they pack it for you !
They ask you how much its worth as thats the sum insured.

THat way you are safe as you either get it in one piece or the insured sum.

By the way, how BIG is that computer ? My iMac is 27" and a bit bubble wrap and a solid box is all thats needed

• Like 1

Salty Dog
28 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Just bring it to LBC and let them send it - they pack it for you !
They ask you how much its worth as thats the sum insured.

Insurance! Have you ever tried to get money that's owed you from a Philippine company?

Now think about trying it after you've moved and you're not even in the Philippines...

rep1
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Put styrofoam in the bottom of the box. Tape the monitor to the case with foam in between.  Put those in a garbage bag and into the box. Fill the remaining space with clothing or spray foam insulation.  I think Stuff It, is a brand name for that.

What's the garbage bag for? scratching?

SkyMan
1 minute ago, rep1 said:

What's the garbage bag for? scratching?

That spray foam is very sticky.  It's also never a bag idea to have a little more waterproofing.

• Thanks 1

rep1

What if I don't use a box?

I cannot find a box that fits my PC (it's a little tall & slim), but I can cut styrofoam and use tape to make a fitting box. Does the paper of paper box offer any protection?

but perhaps a cube shape is more stable?

Edited by rep1

rep1
On 2/28/2019 at 9:38 PM, SkyMan said:

That spray foam is very sticky.  It's also never a bag idea to have a little more waterproofing.

Thanks! All done!

PC with foam sheet fill all space, wrapped in foam sheet, then plastic bag, styrofoam, hemp ropes to tighten styrofoam, paper tape, fabric tape, hemp ropes, more ropes to tighten the ropes.

styrofoam is 5cm thick and ropes are 5mm in diameter. I hope the glass will not break. My fingers hurt...

Spoiler

vlolCqp.jpg

rep1

It worked! The glass and everything are intact!

• Like 2