Sign in to follow this  
Alk

All set to get married here next month..but..Visa question

Alk
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I believe you need a PSA copy of your marriage certificate to start that though and that may take a month or two after the wedding. 

Thanks for your reply and the replies of others.  Looks like going to Manila Embassy and going the Direct Consular Filing CR1 route might be the fastest way to go.  I'm looking into the PSA copy (certified) of the marriage certificate, which as you say is probably needed.  In the Philippines there is also another hoop to jump through.  I read it normally takes 6 months to get this, but evidently you can expedite this by paying a fee and get it in 2-3 weeks.   Anyone have experience with this?

Jawny

Search direct consular filing. I stopped after three links. 

Edited by Jawny

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Alk said:

I read it normally takes 6 months to get this, but evidently you can expedite this by paying a fee and get it in 2-3 weeks.   Anyone have experience with this?

The municipal registrar sits on new BCs and MCs until they have stack to send to the PSA to save shipping.  After the ceremony you can let them know you need to expedite it.  Mine had to go to the Dumaguete registrar first as my wife is from Negros.  After a few days I was able to pick up the copy(ies) to be sent in and took them to LBC where I sent them along with a note to please expedite the process to PSA and a prepaid LBC mailer addressed to PSA.  (NSO at the time).  After a couple weeks I ordered an official copy which arrived 2 or 3 weeks later.

NOTE: When you get married there will be about 7 copies of the MC for you to verify.  I cannot stress enough that you and your wife each verify every item on every copy.  Spelling, birth dates, everything.  Any error will throw a monkey wrench in your plans and getting it corrected could be a real nightmare.

shadow

Sorry for the late response, we are out of town, and internet is scarce at present.

K1s are now taking 6-10 months.

Your fastest and cheapest option is to go ahead and marry, and file for CR1 using DCf method. Current processing time is about 2 months, and she will receive her green card in the mail about 4 weeks after she enters the US. There have been many changes in the last 12-20 months, and a lot of old requirements thet were always overlooked before are now resulting in problems for people. She does not need the PSA version of the marriage certificate to file the petition and get the process started, the municipal version will work for that. She will submit the PSA version at her interview at the end of the two month process.

I will try to check in here evry day to answer any more quiestions you will have, or you can email me at the link on our website (best).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RedRanger

DCF is best way to go, Some cat just got approved in 13 days on the immigration forum I am part of.

RedRanger

image.thumb.png.6fc45e4c77cf098293729c69643a71b6.png

shadow
On 3/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, RedRanger said:

DCF is best way to go, Some cat just got approved in 13 days on the immigration forum I am part of.

That is only the very first step.  He still has weeks and many steps before the visa will be issued.  

RedRanger
20 hours ago, shadow said:

That is only the very first step.  He still has weeks and many steps before the visa will be issued.  

So?

• Sad 1

Headshot
41 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

So?

So, that is only the letter that says they have a date for an interview. They still have to get past the medical review and the consular interview, and then (if approved) they still have to wait for the visa. They have barely started the process, but the way it was stated, it looked like somebody thought the process was complete.

• Like 2

smokey

Having applied for a few visa I can say expect more cost and drama

• Like 2

Alk
Posted (edited)

Just back from a weekend trip. Thanks Shadow (and everyone else) for your replies.  I'm finally through most of the process, which I will relate here for anyone interested.  After going to the US Consulate, we went to the Cebu registrar's office in late January to be sure we had everything necessary to start the process.  We were then told that we both had to travel to her hometown in Surigao del Sur to get the marriage license since my fiance was not registered to vote in Cebu, in spite of living here for 5 years.  Luckily we managed to find a friendly barangay officer here in Apas who signed her Barangay Clearance and stated on it that she was registered to vote here.  We were also told at the Registrar's office that the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry that I got from the US Consulate does not preclude needing a U.S Divorce Decree,  so I had to track that down back in the USA and have it sent here.  It was going to cost something like $183 to send it via Fed Ex to Philippines. My fiance said, "why don't you see if LBC is in the USA?"  Turns out there were 3 stores within about 10-12 miles of my old home in California.  Total cost for the same service, $10.  Then, when we tried to sign up to attend the mandatory "marriage class", we were told we had to wait about two months until March 26th to do so since they were all booked until then (the class is in Basaya, but foreigners still must attend).  After several minutes of pleading, the clerk miraculously managed to move that up to February 22nd.  We took the class, then waited in the mandatory long lines for the 3 processes still needed to get the Marriage license..  With the 10 day wait to process the marriage license, we will pick up it up tomorrow (March 5th), God willing.  Finally!  

Based on what I'm hearing here, it looks like I'll go the K1 Visa route, once I get the civil wedding out of the way.  We were told we could not start the process of scheduling that until the marriage license was in hand.  We'll get that scheduled hopefully in the next couple of days, and hopefully the wedding done this month.  I"ll also start to plan the DCF K1 visa process now that we know the PSA is not needed.

...and yes, i understand that there are many more steps ahead before the VISA process is complete.  I'm prepared for it taking 9-12 months.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks again to all.

Edited by Alk

Headshot
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alk said:

Based on what I'm hearing here, it looks like I'll go the K1 Visa route, once I get the civil wedding out of the way.  We were told we could not start the process of scheduling that until the marriage license was in hand.  We'll get that scheduled hopefully in the next couple of days, and hopefully the wedding done this month.  I"ll also start to plan the DCF K1 visa process now that we know the PSA is not needed.

...and yes, i understand that there are many more steps ahead before the VISA process is complete.  I'm prepared for it taking 9-12 months.

The DCF visa you are going for is a CR-1 (spousal visa), not a K-1 (fiance visa) You can't use the K-1 visa unless you are not yet married, and you can't get a K-1 visa using the DCF process. The whole process from the time when you file the I-130 application at the embassy until she receives her passport back with a visa in it should be less than four months.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 5

shadow
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

The DCF visa you are going for is a CR-1 (spousal visa), not a K-1 (fiance visa) You can't use the K-1 visa unless you are not yet married, and you can't get a K-1 visa using the DCF process. The whole process from the time when you file the I-130 application at the embassy until she receives her passport back with a visa in it should be less than four months.

HS is correct. A K1 is a fiance visa, you can't use it if you are married, and it cannot be filed using DCF method. The CR1 is what you will be applying for. Our DCF CR1 filings are taking right at 2 months now start to finish, if all is in order.

• Like 3

Alk
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

My Bad... I meant CR-1...thanks for the correction.

jtmwatchbiz
12 hours ago, Alk said:

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks again to all.

i'm willing to bet all is going to go well and you will get this process done.  you got some solid advice here from a couple members.  my only suggestion is it may be to your advantage to hire shadow and his wife to go over everything you prepare paperwork-wise as they are not expensive and have the experience.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1