Sign in to follow this  
Alk

All set to get married here next month..but..Visa question

Alk

I've lived here in the Philippines with my fiance for the last 4 years.  After dragging my feet, it's time to get married as we've jointly decided to move back to the USA as soon as we can in order to give my future wife better employment opportunities.   It has taken 2-3 months, but we've finally worked through all the requirements needed to get married here in Cebu.   My logic for getting married here is that I will want my wife to start working as soon as she arrives in the USA.  A CR1 Visa allows that (almost immediate green card), while a K1 Visa does not.  So, immediately after getting married, we plan to start the CR1 application process.

Almost all the arrangements have been made (dress, ring, invitees, deposit for dinner).  We were planning on having the wedding on March 14th....but now.....My fiance just got back from a work meeting and in a panicked voice, explained that she was told a CR1 Visa can now take as long 2-3 years to get.  This runs counter to what I had been led to believe reading past posts here and what I read when I started the process late last year.  My fiance got this information from her Filipina co-workers (teachers) who have sisters/relatives who recently went through the process. Like a lot of information you get here, it might not be correct. 

Meanwhile, I have another female friend who just got a normal K1 Fiance Visa in about 6 months. 

I'm wondering now if it might be a better plan to go the K1/Fiance Visa route here, and then get married immediately upon my arrival in the USA.  We'd still have to wait 6 months after we get to the USA for her to get a green card, but that might be a better way to go.

Does anyone have any recent experience getting a CR1 Visa while living here in the Philippines?   I'm wondering what is a reasonable expectation for how long it will take to secure one if I start the process in mid-March after my marriage.

smokey

Ir-1. K1 IS.NOT MARRIED.  IR1 IS MARRIED but it was married.2.years.as.the standard when we did one then she gets a 10 year green card. Shadow would know.best.    time well ours would of been 5 to 6 months but the tb.  X.ray was cloudly and required another 3 months of testing which has to be at LUKE IN MANILA

Edited by smokey

Headshot

Congrats. I think your best bet for current visa information is Shadow. However, I would be very surprised if what her co-workers are telling your fiance is correct. Normal CR-1 visa processing in the past was closer to 4 months.

smokey
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Congrats. I think your best bet for current visa information is Shadow. However, I would be very surprised if what her co-workers are telling your fiance is correct. Normal CR-1 visa processing in the past was closer to 4 months.

Married 2 years.or everyone would just get married o cut the adjustment of status bullshit and the cost and 40%of the applications get kicked back for possible tb 

Headshot
6 minutes ago, smokey said:

Married 2 years.or everyone would just get married o cut the adjustment of status bullshit and the cost and 40%of the applications get kicked back for possible tb 

While that is true, it would require that they stay in the Philippines for two years after they get married before they apply for an IR-1 visa. It didn't sound like that would be an acceptable plan to Alk. A CR-1 visa can be obtained immediately after they are married, but are correct in that the green card will only be good for two years, and then will have to be upgraded to the ten-year green card.

Alk
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

While that is true, it would require that they stay in the Philippines for two years after they get married before they apply for an IR-1 visa. It didn't sound like that would be an acceptable plan to Alk. A CR-1 visa can be obtained immediately after they are married, but are correct in that the green card will only be good for two years, and then will have to be upgraded to the ten-year green card.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have gotten married a year or so ago.   I assumed any type of Visa would take well under a year, since i'm here in the Philippines and can shepherd the process.  I just spoke with another female friend who said she applied for her Fiance Visa in January 2018, and it was just approved this month.   She's had heard the same thing that my fiance did about the timeframes for the CR1 visa, which is why she went the K1 route. 

Hope you are right about it only taking about 4 months, but I doubt we'll have any guarantee of how long it will take.   If I do get married and it turns out to be 2+ years for the IR1/CR1, I'm pretty much up shit creek.  

Alk
9 minutes ago, EOMFD464 said:

This site only shows I-130 processing times from United States locations.  Unless I'm mistaken, this will be processed in Manila for U.S. Citizens living in the Philippines.  I believe you have to go there personally.  There is no timeframe for doing this.

It seems to say that even if you paid for your Green Card here in the Philippines, it could still take up to 120 days after you arrive in the USA to get your Green Card.  Ouch.

Edited by Alk
  • Like 1

Soupeod
2 minutes ago, Alk said:

This site only shows I-130 processing times from United States locations.  Unless I'm mistaken, this will be processed in Manila for U.S. Citizens living in the Philippines.  I believe you have to go there personally.  There is no timeframe for doing this.

It seems to say that even if you paid for your Green Card here in the Philippines, it could still take up to 120 days after you arrive in the USA to get your Green Card.  Ouch.

That was all I could find, Shadow is the resident expert and good luck!

Salty Dog
2 hours ago, Alk said:

Everyone I know got theirs within a few weeks.

Doesn't really matter though because she can start working the day she arrives. The stamp they put in her passport upon arrival is basically a temp green card...

RangerUp
7 hours ago, Alk said:

My logic for getting married here is that I will want my wife to start working as soon as she arrives in the USA.  A CR1 Visa allows that (almost immediate green card), while a K1 Visa does not.  So, immediately after getting married, we plan to start the CR1 application process. 

I'm wondering now if it might be a better plan to go the K1/Fiance Visa route here, and then get married immediately upon my arrival in the USA. 

K1 is better because if you get married here, they can still deny or delay her CR1 Visa.

smokey
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Everyone I know got theirs within a few weeks.

Doesn't really matter though because she can start working the day she arrives. The stamp they put in her passport upon arrival is basically a temp green card...

Good 4 6 months then if no card a restamp my wife 2nd green card took 9 months her ir 1 took almost 1 year.  Her sb1 took 1 year 3 months more and more places use E-verfi

Edited by smokey

Soupeod
6 hours ago, Alk said:

So I looked it up and Manila has there own UCIS office, you would need to call them if filing from here or the Chicago office.

unless you file from the states.

SkyMan

I don't know if there's been a change but DCF spousal Visa was running a month or 2.

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

I don't know if there's been a change but DCF spousal Visa was running a month or 2.

I believe you need a PSA copy of your marriage certificate to start that though and that may take a month or two after the wedding.