Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

House Conversion to 3 Apartments

JohnSurrey

I'm thinking about converting our existing house to 3 apartments...

Has anyone done this - anything I need to look out for ?

Jawny

I have not done this. However, I suspect this is a situation where you would be better off looking for forgiveness than permission. 

You may be advised about all sorts of housing requirements if you do this by the book.  Fire codes for multi family dwellings, connection to sewage system, water supply and so forth. All well intended efforts, but with fees, licenses and the like, it could be more than you expected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smokey
23 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

I'm thinking about converting our existing house to 3 apartments...

Has anyone done this - anything I need to look out for ?

If you live in one ok.    Electric is a big one seperate meters rewiring where is breaker box.    Water supply.  New cr unless its a big place.   Seperate entrances

• Like 1

JohnSurrey
On 2/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, smokey said:

If you live in one ok.    Electric is a big one seperate meters rewiring where is breaker box.    Water supply.  New cr unless its a big place.   Seperate entrances

hmmm... we already have another elec meter (disconnected) and another water meter (connected)… so I'm thinking 2 first then add the third later...as long as we can move the electric meters... 

Jawny

The Leyeco bureaucracies may make it a bit awkward, but moving meters is pretty common.  The only issue might be if the meter that is being moved is owned by some other individual. We’ve had meters moved on several occasions and ownership was the only issue.  I think the fee is a couple hundred pesos, and any costs for additional wire.  

I will caution you that they work quality is not the best.  We were told to bring some number 6 wire, and in a hurry, number 8 or 10 was brought.  They grumbled but went ahead and used it.  On a different occasion, the connection was made, and within a week had loosened and needed reconnection. 

You can hire an approved electrician to have better assurances of quality work.  

• Like 1

Barryrio

Another option is what I did when I built a 4-unit apartment complex. I had the main meter from the power company and purchased four sub-meters. Got them calibrated by the electric company and hooked them up - one to each unit. Still get one bill but read each individual meter and work out the tenants bill from our Noreco (Dumaguete) monthly KwH notice. Sourced the sub-meters in Cebu - only around 1000 pesos each.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

Many boarding houses here are like that . Each room has what they call a "loan" meter or a "load" meter. I never can figure out what they are saying and they dont know themselves when I ask them ! hehe  They are very cheap to install. 

Im attaching a photo of the 2 meters installed about 2 rooms in my boarding house. They were obviously retro fitted

20180402_130754.jpg

• Like 1

fred42

The problem we have found with sub meters is they are cheap and often go wrong..The problem then is negotiating how much of the bill is theirs..
Get expensive good quality meters!

smokey

Well if your not going to live. There expect damage 

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

Punctuation Smokey - punctuation!!!  :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by Davaoeno

smokey

If need any smart people I will hire them renting is not all that easy 

• Haha 1