Don.

Philippines Measles Outbreak Tops 11,000 Including 189 Fatalities

Don.

I haven't seen anything here yet about this. my apologies if it has already been covered:

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/philippines-measles-outbreak-tops-11000-cavite-declares-state-calamity-95635/

In a follow-up on the measles epidemic in the Philippines, health officials are now reporting 11,459 measles cases, including 189 fatalities since the beginning of the year though Feb. 20 , an increase of 3,000 cases and 50 deaths in four days.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said, “We are hoping and praying for the measles outbreak to end, but it’s still increasing”. He notes that health officials are working diligently to get the vaccination rate at 95 percent (to achieve herd immunity); however, he is not expecting cases to start dropping until April at the earliest.

Local governmental units (LGUs) in provinces across the country are implementing massive immunization drives  and conducting door-to-door immunizations.

In Cavite, the provincial government has declared a state of calamity due to the increasing number of measles cases in the province. In the latest Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit report provided by the Provincial Information and Community Affairs Division, there are 424 recorded cases of measles from January 1 to February 22, which is 2,550 percent higher compared to last year’s 16 cases for the same period.

• Thanks 7

RangerUp

I just saw them giving free Measles vaccinations in a mall around Colon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soupeod
45 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

I just saw them giving free Measles vaccinations in a mall around Colon.

Free vaccinations here as well.

• Thanks 1

Headshot

Let's hope that many take advantage of the government push to get the vaccinations their children should have already had.

• Like 5

noddle
14 hours ago, Don. said:

I haven't seen anything here yet about this. my apologies if it has already been covered:

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/philippines-measles-outbreak-tops-11000-cavite-declares-state-calamity-95635/

In a follow-up on the measles epidemic in the Philippines, health officials are now reporting 11,459 measles cases, including 189 fatalities since the beginning of the year though Feb. 20 , an increase of 3,000 cases and 50 deaths in four days.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said, “We are hoping and praying for the measles outbreak to end, but it’s still increasing”. He notes that health officials are working diligently to get the vaccination rate at 95 percent (to achieve herd immunity); however, he is not expecting cases to start dropping until April at the earliest. 

Local governmental units (LGUs) in provinces across the country are implementing massive immunization drives  and conducting door-to-door immunizations.

In Cavite, the provincial government has declared a state of calamity due to the increasing number of measles cases in the province. In the latest Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit report provided by the Provincial Information and Community Affairs Division, there are 424 recorded cases of measles from January 1 to February 22, which is 2,550 percent higher compared to last year’s 16 cases for the same period.

Typical solution,   I'm sure that will solve the problem....

nostress
On 2/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, noddle said:

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said, “We are hoping and praying for the measles outbreak to end, but it’s still increasing”.

What has he and DOH been doing the last few years to prevent this? Hoping and praying?

Just asking!

• Haha 1

Goetz1965

As long they hope and pray everything will be fine !

• Like 2

SkyMan
14 hours ago, nostress said:

What has he and DOH been doing the last few years to prevent this? Hoping and praying?

Just asking!

With only 16 cases last year, that's probably all they had funding for. 

Dafey

The government and the media has the populace scared to get vaccines. They post how many die from vaccine but don't compare how many would be saved if they had taken the vaccine.

I remember when my kids were small before they were given a vaccine the doctor/nurse was obligated to tell you there was a risk. Sometimes 1 in 10,000. This was to cover their ass when a kid did have a reaction and was hospitalized or died.

Even with the Dengue vaccine, that is so controversial, it would have saved a lot more lives than it took. The problem is every vaccine will have a negative effect on someone.

bkb1

Free shots in Negros Occidental as well...

bounder

So we went to the municipal health clinic yesterday for the measles vaccine for my three high school adopted children and was turned away.  Was told that they were only immunizing children 11 years old and under.  That if there was any serum left after March 31, then they could get shots - first come, first served.  

Anyone else on the forum hear of such a restriction?

Bama

Would encourage everyone to insist that their young family members be vaccinated for measles.

My wife's niece youngest daughter passed away overnight from measles after a extended time at the hospital. The 4 year old was born with special needs and because of the parents shame about the child's condition wasn't vaccinated when free shots were offered at the barrio clinic. All of the child's siblings were vaccinated and are doing fine. The parents are having a tough time of it right now each blaming the other for what happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

BossHog
On 3/13/2019 at 5:56 AM, bounder said:

So we went to the municipal health clinic yesterday for the measles vaccine for my three high school adopted children and was turned away.  Was told that they were only immunizing children 11 years old and under.  That if there was any serum left after March 31, then they could get shots - first come, first served.  

Anyone else on the forum hear of such a restriction?

You're most likely aware of this already but a private pediatrician, as opposed to a public clinic, will be able to sort this out for you.

• Like 1

Dafey
2 hours ago, Bama said:

The parents are having a tough time of it right now each blaming the other for what happened.

It sucks but they need to move on...they listened to the wrong people and can remember that when the next time comes.

Sorry for your loss!