Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Advice on leaving condo to a friend?

Dafey
19 hours ago, rep1 said:

lots of snow! the weather is excellent! no idea why most finns seem to dislike that :P 

Give it a few seasons....

• Like 1

to_dave007

In the winter of 1978/1979 my first wife and I travelled to Gjovik in Norway to go cross country skiing.  Gjovik is on Lake Mjosa a couple hours north of Oslo.  So..  not Finland..  but similar weather.  Gjovik is just a few km south or Lillehammer.. site of the 1994 winter Olympics.

When we arrived in Oslo the temperature was -40 degrees C (or -40 degrees F)..  brisk..  and during the entire week we were there it warmed only to -25 degrees C (-13 F). At the time we were told the locals don't bother saying "minus" when asked the winter temperature.  it's not -25..  it's just 25.

Of course..  we were there to ski..  and the skiing was great..  if cold and a bit dark in the short winter days.  And the locals were amazing..  lots of skiers.. and on the weekend a race.. and a special invitation into the house of one family..  just to warm up and swap stories.   But also lots of people skiing NOT for recreation, but simply to get to where they were going, skiing from town to town.. to get to work or school.

And the most amazing lady (not this one in the photo) ..  in her 50's or 60's I would say..  On her way to the market one morning with her shopping bag slung over the handle of something that looked like this.  they call it a kick sled.  And there she was..  just sledding down the street towards the market...  like a child on a scooter.

Old-lady-sparking-007.jpg.b527ab6f87ee6510cf4f368e649e2710.jpg

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3

RR3
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

And the most amazing lady (not this one in the photo) ..  in her 50's or 60's I would say..  On her way to the market one morning with her shopping bag slung over the handle of something that looked like this.  they call it a kick sled.  And there she was..  just sledding down the street towards the market...  like a child on a scooter.

Old-lady-sparking-007.jpg.b527ab6f87ee6510cf4f368e649e2710.jpg

Yeah, kick sled. Rollator walker wont work when ice/snow.

In my old country we say kids learn to ski before learn to walk...

Edited by RR3

rep1

I have no such skill and my last attempt was a disaster. But rolling is okay I suppose? :D 

• Like 1