Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Advice on leaving condo to a friend?

rep1

I'm coming back for the second last time, to pack up my stuff, and leave my new home to a friend for several years until I get a citizenship in the new country (where it snows! :D).

No renting, free, and no signing anything (other than transferring my gym right and whatever); just needed someone to take care of the annoying monthly fee and queuing for property tax, and I have no need of rental income as tax will be high. Has anyone done similar? Are there any potential risks I should prepare for? She's not poor like average locals and already lives in condo by herself, so (I imagine) there should be far less problems when she has to move out later.

oh and thanks for all the advises over the years, though I didn't listen and wasted huge sum of money - but because of that I also learned about investment and financial planning, and adjusted my spending habit as well! I'll post pics showing my new home later so people could see what Alveo's Solinea towers are like (mine is not for sale however, no time and php has been devalued too much).

Edited by rep1
  • Sad 2

Soupeod

Bro... get someone to manage it for you.  You are going to my hometown :)  If you want me too, PM me.

• Thanks 1

Jawny

This is done by several families we know.  They buy a condo in Cebu and a relative lives in the place.  The only issues are with the relative.  If they decide to trash the place, or rent it by the hour, then they have that freedom.  If your friend is trustworthy, should not be an issue. 

• Thanks 1

rep1

Thanks, then it's decided!

Well I don't care what she would do as long as it doesn't need to involve me, reporting tax etc. I have wasted so much of my life doing things of zero importance! (how the locals can tolerate that is completely beyond my imagination!) A new life is ahead :) 

• Like 1

Headshot
9 hours ago, rep1 said:

A new life is ahead :) 

I hope that you will remain a member on LinC Forums. I expect to be living very close to you in the future.

Have her email you receipts of the property tax each year. Otherwise, you won' know whether or not she has paid them until it is too late.

• Thanks 1

rep1

Close?? Are you coming to Finland too? :D 

to_dave007
9 minutes ago, rep1 said:

hope you enjoy the great outdoors...  and winter.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Headshot
14 minutes ago, rep1 said:

Hahaha... Your location in your profile is Las Vegas, Nevada. You might want to fix that if you are now in Finland.

PS... It snowed in Las Vegas this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rep1
8 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

hope you enjoy the great outdoors...  and winter.

lots of snow! the weather is excellent! no idea why most finns seem to dislike that :P 

to_dave007
1 hour ago, rep1 said:

lots of snow! the weather is excellent! no idea why most finns seem to dislike that :P 

Years ago..  in my late 20's and early 30's..  I was taught to ski cross country by a Finn.. Seppo Lepalalin was his name I think..  The year was around 1980.. or 81.  He was in his 60's then  so long dead now.  I know he was in the Finnish military and was of an age where he would have been old enough to have fought in the winter war between the Finns and the Soviets, though he never talked about it.  He was stronger on skis than any of us..  much younger..  could ever hope to be..  and his love of winter was clear for all to see.  At the sauna at his cottage in northern Ontario.. he taught his students that to completely clear out the pores in your skin you must combine a roll in the snow with your sauna.  Yeah..  good memories. 

• Like 1

Gus

Rep 1 I really enjoyed your thread about your preparations for moving into the condo .
The agonizing over which furniture to buy etc and all the other items ..
My favourite was about which waterproof speakers to buy ,so you could listen to music in the shower !
I too deserted Cebu , so lost touch with a few of the happenings on here.

Did you ever get to live in your Condo ?
How was it ?
C'mon ..where's the photos ?

Good luck ..never thought you would Finnish up there !

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Headshot
9 hours ago, rep1 said:

Once you have lived with it for a while, you will realize that an abundance of snow is both dangerous and a lot of work. That is why those who live with snow dislike it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rep1
9 hours ago, Gus said:

Rep 1 I really enjoyed your thread about your preparations for moving into the condo .
The agonizing over which furniture to buy etc and all the other items ..
My favourite was about which waterproof speakers to buy ,so you could listen to music in the shower !
I too deserted Cebu , so lost touch with a few of the happenings on here.

Did you ever get to live in your Condo ?
How was it ?
C'mon ..where's the photos ?

Good luck ..never thought you would Finnish up there !

haven't inspected and I'm actually coming here for that, was very busy working and preparing for interviews.

I think it'll be a much better choice this time, as it's not made for woman but work and life in general. It's like a dream to me :D Although all my furniture designs are wasted.

9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Once you have lived with it for a while, you will realize that an abundance of snow is both dangerous and a lot of work. That is why those who live with snow dislike it.

Yes but I'll live in apartment and I can't drive or ride bicycle... Walking cannot be dangerous yes? Someone warned me about walking miles under snow at night... Not sure what's the danger. (A bottle of vodka should fix everything!)

Soupeod
25 minutes ago, rep1 said:

haven't inspected and I'm actually coming here for that, was very busy working and preparing for interviews.

I think it'll be a much better choice this time, as it's not made for woman but work and life in general. It's like a dream to me :D Although all my furniture designs are wasted.

Yes but I'll live in apartment and I can't drive or ride bicycle... Walking cannot be dangerous yes? Someone warned me about walking miles under snow at night... Not sure what's the danger. (A bottle of vodka should fix everything!)

You will need add on spikes for your boots and wool socks!

• Thanks 1

Headshot
26 minutes ago, rep1 said:

Walking cannot be dangerous yes? Someone warned me about walking miles under snow at night... Not sure what's the danger. (A bottle of vodka should fix everything!)

They"ll find you frozen in a snow bank. You might want to save the vodka for when you get home at night.

PS... Walking in the snow can be very dangerous, especially if there is ice or rough surfaces under the snow. Hopefully, you will live close to where you work. My ex-wife broke her hip when she slipped on ice under the snow.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1