JonnyBravo

Retiring to the Philippines. Do I switch banks?

Salty Dog
3 hours ago, JonnyBravo said:

This is some great info. I would have never guessed banks (including in the US) would lock a joint account if someone dies....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because it's not true for the US. Just because someone said it here, it doesn't make it so.

Just Google it and you will see it's rarely true.

I had a joint account with my father when he died and there was no problems. Yes they knew he had died.

• Like 2

Headshot

In the US, as long as you have a death certificate and a will naming you as a beneficiary or executor, there is no problem withdrawing money from the account of a deceased person. That doesn't mean they will just give the money to anybody, and it certainly doesn't mean they will allow wire transfers without in-person authorization. That can be a problem for Filipino wives who don't live in the US.  What happens with American heirs who are able to visit the bank is no indication for foreign wives living overseas.

Davaoeno
10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Just because someone said it here, it doesn't make it so.

If you dont believe me I can give you the widows name and phone number. She is a good friend of my wife.

[ and as I am sure everyone realizes HSBC is about the most paranoid bank there is these days !! ]

Salty Dog
40 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

If you dont believe me I can give you the widows name and phone number. She is a good friend of my wife.

[ and as I am sure everyone realizes HSBC is about the most paranoid bank there is these days !! ]

Maybe you shouldn't just quote half of the paragraph. If you had posted it, you would see I said US...:showing-ass:

11 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

That's because it's not true for the US. Just because someone said it here, it doesn't make it so.

• Like 1