Sign in to follow this  
throttleplate

Cleaning Up Manila Bay

throttleplate

I was in manila this past week and walked along the baywalk and was shocked to see no plastic bags or bottles lying in the coastline rocks  from the embassy to the yacht club. Seen the ph officials getting a demostration on a new piece of heavy equipment to help dredge out the trash infused bay. It floats and propels itself in the water using the tracks. When it is stationary 2 hydraulic outriggers plant themselves into the seabed to alow machine to stay put while digging.

manila dcf 2019 083.jpg

manila dcf 2019 102.jpg

• Like 5

GBT62

The rivers here in Cebu are about to get a makeover too - happy to see that.... I see the Guadalupe River daily - and it needs help :sick:

We'll be there - maybe 6:05am though ;)

• Like 2

Headshot

"Cleaning up" will do no good unless there is a fundamental attitude shift in this country. As long as there are no handy trash receptacles that are regularly emptied, where people can throw their trash, and as long as people just drop trash wherever they are, every heavy rain will bring a new crop of litter to the rivers and bays of the Philippines.

This is not a problem that you can simply clean up and make it go away. Extensive education, enforcement, government planning and continued execution of environmental policies will be necessary to eliminate the problem. It is what is known as a paradigm shift. People must think completely different to what they do now to reverse pollution in this country.

Only when government accepts the responsibility for the environment, and only when people accept that they are responsible to do their part or suffer the consequences, will the environment be cleaned up permanently in the Philippines. Government must accept the people will not go very far out of their way to deposit trash in bins (which will require that the government install many, many trash bins), and that those bins need to be emptied regularly by government workers.

The government must also accept the fact that they, and not the people, are responsible for sewage collection and treatment. Far too much raw, or non-treated, sewage flows into the country's rivers and seas. It does no good to clean up the litter without also treating the sewage also flowing into the water from homes and businesses. For far too long, this country has treated sewage as if everybody lived in rural setting, whereas more and more people migrate into larger and larger urban areas. You simply can't deal with urban sewage the same way you would deal with rural sewage. The result will always be contamination of local waters.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
25 minutes ago, Headshot said:

"Cleaning up" will do no good unless there is a fundamental attitude shift in this country.

yada yada yada, 

obviously by the previous posters' articles there is a shift in attitude and increased awareness of the pollution problems.   everything has to start somewhere and it appears positive changes in attitude and cleanup efforts have indeed began.   

• Like 2

Headshot
21 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

yada yada yada, 

obviously by the previous posters' articles there is a shift in attitude and increased awareness of the pollution problems.   everything has to start somewhere and it appears positive changes in attitude and cleanup efforts have indeed began.   

Why is that "obvious" to you? Do you think this is the first time they have had a clean-up? Some of the schools in the Cebu metro area will sponsor environmental clean-ups, where they go out and de-litter some river bank or sea shore. Then, they pose for pictures with the gathered trash and go home. The next day, somebody comes along and drops their litter into the same place that was just cleaned up (or a rain storm washes more trash into the same area).

The point is that the environmental pollution situation won't change until the government accepts responsibility for eliminating the sources of this pollution, and that doesn't involve clean-ups. It involves providing trash receptacles and making sure that they are serviced often enough that they don't overflow. It won't change until there is a paradigm shift in government thinking. That has not occurred.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Why is that "obvious" to you?

because i don't see everything Philippine-related as negative.  to me i see progress.  

you stated your tediously long opinion and i stated my succinct one,  and i have just as much experience here in this country as you,  if not more.   so...i don't see constant doom and gloom.  could very well be this latest clean-up effort around the country will do some good. 

Dafey

I remember the US had the same issues with trash thrown any and everywhere when I was a kid. They started the crying indian campaign and peeps started to care. Took a long time but things changed. You have to start somewhere.

• Like 5

GBT62

well, am 100% sure that NOT cleaning it up is not gonna do good either :scratch_head:

The times - they-are-a-changing. The younger generations are much more environmentally aware - and caring and protecting the environment is heavily pushed in schools .... I see it all the time in their school projects.

It's going to take a longggggg time - eventually, as they get older and become the majority, and they push and remind their parents to change their attitudes ....

I'd love to see a local "adopt a highway" or barangay concept start here

• Like 2

lamoe

The new scheduled stop jeepneys can also help.

Back in the 70's when the big clean up push started - it seemed like every bus stop had a trash can.

Not as many now - only at major intersections

The actor 'Iron Eyes Cody' was actually 100% Italian.

Soupeod

I watched this video on the MMDA clearing operations and then the host shows the trash left over (partial video) after moving unauthorized vendors.  I assume this will all wash out to the bay if not cleaned up.  Pretty sad and you can see who is responsible in the video.

The whole MMDA video is below:

throttleplate

as i was talking to the workers cleaning the drains they were spending alot of time going through each shovelfull looking for pesos.

manila dcf 2019 012.jpg

RedRanger

I keep hearing Manila Bay by the US Embassy is now clean.  I can't wait to see this in person, It is usually a cesspool of trash.

I usually spend about a week in Manila and stay right next to USEM at my favorite hotel RedPlanet Manila Bay which is about 800 yards from the USEM, I usually take a walk to Manila Bay to see all the trash and plastic bottles washed up on the shore.

Glad to see they have finally decided to clean up Manila Bay