Semper paratus

Did you ever wonder what a live organ donor looks like?

Semper paratus

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

rfm010

Definitely not to be posted in the motorcycling in the philippines thread.

Headshot

When I read the title, I thought this would be a thread about the Uighur people in China. China has been decimating them by turning them into "live" organ donors. But no, just another dummy with a death wish.

rfm010

I thought it would be a thread about people dumped in some back alley, alive but with their kidneys ripped out.  But no, just some cool bike riding skills.

• Like 1

bkb1

Anybody ever wondered what a live organ grinder looks like?

organ grinder.PNG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Semper paratus
7 hours ago, bkb1 said:

Anybody ever wondered what a live organ grinder looks like?

organ grinder.PNG

I almost hate saying I remember these guys. Times were fun then. These kids today don't know what they are missing. The organ grinder or the ice from the milkman's truck or horse-drawn wagon, the sheeny man collecting junk, collecting glass bottles and getting the return/deposit money, collecting newspapers to sell at the junk yard. cutting lawns(push lawnmowers), shoveling snow, newspaper routes, Victory gardens, getting an allowance for actually doing work. I can hardly imagine why kids are so messed up today. :o(

Note: The guy above is not doing a selfie. :o) It must be magic.

• Like 5

lamoe

"the sheeny man collecting junk"

"Rags a lion" comes to mind - rags & iron

Push cart knife sharper -  Colon has them

Snow Cone cart - shaved Ice

• Like 3

Semper paratus
10 hours ago, lamoe said:

"the sheeny man collecting junk"

"Rags a lion" comes to mind - rags & iron

Push cart knife sharper -  Colon has them

Snow Cone cart - shaved Ice

I forgot about the scissors and knife sharpener guy. He came around once or twice a year. Ours had a modified Cushman motor-scooter that pushed is cart.  I always wondered where he came from and one day on the way to a new job I saw his scooter thing and his house which was pretty nice. I'd say he did a pretty fair business and he traveled far and wide as it was a fair distance from where I grew up. Here in Dumaguete there was a mobile barbershop set up similar, but I haven't seen it in a few years. I thought it was a great idea.  I know we are a bit off topic, does anyone care that much ? If so maybe someone can break it off to something called Days gone by.

Edited by Semper paratus
secret
  • Like 2

bkb1
16 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

I almost hate saying I remember these guys. Times were fun then. These kids today don't know what they are missing. The organ grinder or the ice from the milkman's truck or horse-drawn wagon, the sheeny man collecting junk, collecting glass bottles and getting the return/deposit money, collecting newspapers to sell at the junk yard. cutting lawns(push lawnmowers), shoveling snow, newspaper routes, Victory gardens, getting an allowance for actually doing work. I can hardly imagine why kids are so messed up today. :o(

Note: The guy above is not doing a selfie. :o) It must be magic.

I remember all that and more. Sure is a different world we live in now.

1 cent candy

5 cent chocolate bars

Coal truck filling up the bin in the basement to stoke the furnace and hot water heater.

Discipline in school by way of a thick leather strap.

Placing a hair on your palm before getting the strap causing your hand to bleed so they would hopefully stop sooner.

No forced air heating just radiators.

Warming a brick on the wood stove before going to bed to keep your feet warm.

Once a year a guy in a peanut costume driving up and down the streets of Montreal in the back of a truck, throwing small bags of planters peanuts to the kids.

Pulling a chain to flush the toilet.

Mothers warning their children not to accept funny cigarettes from strangers.

Getting bomb shelter plans free at city hall.

Being held accountable for your actions.

Can't say i miss most of that but what i do miss is the respect people had for each other...

gettyimages-453273012.jpg

• Like 3