Sign in to follow this  
jtmwatchbiz

Our Watch Collecting

jtmwatchbiz

we are always on the lookout for interesting stuff to add to our collection.   nowadays most gals also prefer wearing large men's size watches so usually it's my wife that grabs certain stuff we find and adds them to our personal stash.  the only loose rule we have is no more collecting any super valuable stuff, as that takes the fun out of it.  we kinda like collecting-holding on to stuff that sort of stylistically represents the era when they were designed and not focus so much on brand or value.  if stuff you collect is too valuable then there's a tendency to store away and not use and play with them.  not much enjoyment in that.    

anyways here's the first of a few interesting pieces we found this month.   this is a large size Tissot "racing" watch from around year 1999 or 2000.   this model was a re-issue of the classic 1960's Tissot auto racing styled stuff as Tissot has always been heavily involved sponsoring auto racing.   it's quite a big chunk of metal and the dial as well as matte black numbered bezel have that straight-forward dashboard gauge/instrument look.  also in keeping with the original version it has all the '60's kitch features like the pretentious "rally strap" which is the bracelet with race car inspired drilled lightening holes as well as the matching sport steering wheel emblem within the see-thru case back.   i'm sure the thought at the time was somehow buying and wearing this watch while driving a race car or zipping around town in one's sports car was the in thing to do.   nevertheless it does ooze that fun  '60's snazzy mindset of the time...you know...be a race car driver, or just look like one.  :biggrin_01: 

abctossotracing2.jpg

abctissotracing4.jpg

abctissotracing3.jpg

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz

another '60's recent addition to our collection is this 1962 Omega constellation "pie pan".  a departure as it's no where near as pretentious and gaudy as the Tissot in my previous post.   this was a very high end watch in it's day costing more than most Rolexes and comparable brands.   introduced in the early 50's,  constellations were the top of the line Omega models and THE watch to wear by celebs and CEOs.   it gets it's nickname by the shape of the dial which is angle cut and curved like a pie pan.  this has a very fancy movement that is adjusted to 5 positions and chronometer rated.  the gold medallion on the case back is an image of the palomar observatory in san diego california and is found on all constellation models right up until present time.   ours is an unusual version as it has the black dial with "gilt" gold lettering and sword hands.  we got it from a neighbor of my inlaws in guadalupe and has been in the family since new.  kinda hard nowadays to find old stuff like this still in original condition as most have been butchered by incompetent watch repair shops. 

abc62piepan.jpg

abc62piepan2.jpg

• Like 3

jtmwatchbiz

to more clearly illustrate the shape and style of the Omega constellation pie pan dial here is another one from our collection that dates from 1968 and has the date feature.  the pie pan style of the dial is easier to see with this particular watch due to the silver color.  

abcpiepan1.jpg

• Like 4

jtmwatchbiz

up next is this 1954 Atlantic watch company model "Worldmaster".   this is  not something we picked up this week as we actually got this watch back in october of last year.   i thought it would be fun to post about it as it is an unusual old watch along with an interesting story on how we found it.  

i was on my way to new york and waiting for the flight to JFK at the hong kong airport.  i wandered into the smoking lounge and spotted a guy wearing an old Omega dive watch and started to talk to him about it (of course hoping to buy the thing but he wasn't selling).  another guy walked over and joined the conversation as he also collected watches.   he was from sweden.  anyways this swedish guy also just left cebu and was on the way back to sweden but told me he will return to cebu by the end of the month and bring along a few older non-working watches if i would be interested in them.   we traded email addresses and phone numbers and sure enough a few days after i returned to cebu he also arrived and we met up for coffee and i bought the watches he brought with him.   he's a nice guy and a new friend of ours and said he will round up more old watches for us next time he's back home in sweden. 

we had our watch tech service up this old Atlantic watch and get it running like new as it is in remarkable original condition considering it's age.  the original two-tone dial with the big sword style hands and bright red second hand really capture that 50's vibe.  the Atlantic watch company still produces the worldmaster model today but what's unusual about this particular old one is the "Worldmaster" script on the dial is written as  "Varldsmastarur" in swedish.   we don't usually come across watches where the model names are printed in various languages according to where they are to be marketed so this is a nifty addition to our hoard along with a fun story on how we found it.  

y'all bored yet?  :biggrin_01:   

abcworld6.jpg

abcworld5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

jtmwatchbiz

ok now it's time for some shallow glitz.   straight from the 70's is this sparkling gold Omega Seamaster.   the 70's was the era for disco and flash, and this baby got it in spades.  big, in your face and gaudy.  being merely gold plated,  this was not the watch for a movie star or mafia captain to wear as they could afford to sport a solid gold rolex.   this was the watch for the "spaccone"...a wanna-be show off.   you know like a lowly mafia street soldier or disco boy stepping out of his pontiac gran prix and heading into the nite club wearing bell bottoms and satin shirt.  it's also one of my favorite watches.  

bought it from a young guy who's dad got it new as a gift and never wore it.  gee can't imagine why.  anyways it's in startling as-new condition and we had our watch tech service up the movement which is the same high quality omega movement found in more mainstream models.  a very fun eye-catching watch.

abcomega5.jpg

abcomega6.jpg