Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Taxi scam on Koreans

Soupeod

It is nice to see honest people.

That story is funny because I had Korean taxi driver do the same to me when I was in Korea.  Kano price vs Korean price of Taxi.  And the Korean attacked me when I refused to pay that amount.... Then then the police grabbed him and said I was lucky but I needed to pay the price.

Edited by EOMFD464
Edited

Kreole

It is always a good plan to make sure the driver has the meter running when you get in.  I have had drivers try to go without the meter and I told them to stop the car or engage the meter. 

A couple of months ago a friend and I went to the overlook above Cebu and I asked the driver approximately the price to do a round trip.  He quoted me non-metered price and I clearly stated that I wanted him to go with the meter. 

We had him wait in the parking lot for about an hour with the meter running, which is the usual protocol, as I have done this before on other excursions, even offered to pay the entrance fee at the zoo for another driver also, but he declined. 

Anyway, my friend and I enjoyed about an hour of viewing and lunch and came back to the taxi, and the meter was running (good).  However, when we got back to the hotel, my friend was paying the driver the metered amount and I was handing him a tip, at which point the driver said that we had to pay the price he quoted, not the meter.  I told him that we would only pay the meter amount which was actually 1/2 of what he quoted, and sternly reminded him that we made it very clear at the start that we would go with the meter.  The driver tried to argue, but we just got out of the cab and he left very pissed off.

I really do not know how common this is, but since I had experience with other honest drivers (who were grateful for the tip) I knew the guy was trying to scam us.  I have had other taxi drivers "take me for a ride" as in shortcut that gets way out of hand, and that is why I always clearly state my destination and make it known that I know the usual taxi route.  I will not allow any deviation from that route unless there is an accident we have to circumvent.  Congested traffic is always expected and no excuse for short cuts.

That said, it is only through experience that I have learned these things.  Newbees will have to feel their way through, so always insist on the meter, even if it means waiting for another taxi or walking a short distance to another intersection.  This is especially true of the taxi mafia at the Cebu port who all quote you an outrageous price and all seem to be in sync.  So, I just keep walking until a normal taxi drives by and signal him or her (yes, there are a few women taxi drivers).

It is a little different at the airport where it is more officially monitored, but some drivers will still try driving with the meter off while quoting you an extortionist price.  It makes a lot of difference that I already know the price range it will cost to get to my hotel, depending on the degree of traffic congestion, which can be suffocating going over the bridge and into Mandaue which is ALWAYS bad, except on Sunday.  Happy trails.

Jester

One of the reasons I hate Manila is the taxi's, every frigging  time I go there I end up in a pissing match with the driver.  Someday I will end up getting my throat slit.

• Like 4

SkyMan

I don't even bother with the taxis in Manila.  It's not a bad walk from NAIA to the VA, especially T4. 

• Like 1

savarity
I don't even bother with the taxis in Manila.  It's not a bad walk from NAIA to the VA, especially T4. 
Is it possible to walk out of the other terminals? Years ago someone told me it wasn't, but then I heard they built a walkway at some point, not sure.

to_dave007

In 10 years in Cebu..  have been successful to avoid Manila completely.. Have not been there once, and really don't want to.  However, the time is coming soon when I will NEED to go to the Canadian embassy to progress the citizenship application for my sons.

6 hours ago, Jester said:

One of the reasons I hate Manila is the taxi's, every frigging  time I go there I end up in a pissing match with the driver.

I know most Manila regulars already know it..  but can you give me some examples of the taxi issues/problems you have.

SkyMan
4 hours ago, savarity said:
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Is it possible to walk out of the other terminals? Years ago someone told me it wasn't, but then I heard they built a walkway at some point, not sure.

I have walked out of all of them. That's how most of the employees arrive/ depart. 

• Like 2

goggleye

Most problems in Manila get solved when you use grab or just talk to the driver and have a clear understanding of your deal.  Sometimes you can get a guy to use a meter.  High traffic time no cabs are going to use a meter they sit in traffic and don't make any money.  Sometimes you can make a deal  close to what a meter price will be.   Sometimes you are going to have to pay more.

Yellow cabs are more but usually use a meter and are pretty dependable.

The shuttle between terminals is free but you have to have a ticket on a flight out of the terminal you are going to.

Jester
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

In 10 years in Cebu..  have been successful to avoid Manila completely.. Have not been there once, and really don't want to.  However, the time is coming soon when I will NEED to go to the Canadian embassy to progress the citizenship application for my sons.

I know most Manila regulars already know it..  but can you give me some examples of the taxi issues/problems you have.

I will only give one.  Going to air port hailed a cab.  ONe stopped and I told him meter to airport, yes sir he responded.   Played this game before so had the wife confirm in their language, yes meter to airport.

Get less than a block from hotel, meter is not on.   HEY turn the meter on.  Oh no sir is XXXX peso;s to the airport.

STOP THIS F  CAB AND STOP IT NOW YOU SOB!  Had the door open before he was stopped and half way out of the cab.  They do not deal well with confrontation and even less so with an enraged foreigner.  Someday that behavior will catch up with me so better to avoid Manila.  

• Thanks 2

fivestarph

Another scam is to have the last fare left on the meter as the starting point.

Being jet lagged, I grabbed a taxi at the airport without checking the mater was 000 and only noticed when stopped at the traffic lights near Marina Mall that the meter said 248. As expected fare was roughly Pesos 240 higher at destination.

My fault for not checking at start but good to know.

SkyMan

About 5 years ago I was on another trip to the VA and there were three hacks waiting by their cars. None would go on the meter so I started walking one finally called he would do the meter so I got in and he started the meter. In short order he started with the "350 is ok." Metro na lang. "But sir it's heavy traffic." I've seen a lot worse. "350 is ok" Metro na lang. Finally we're about halfway there and we're in what he probably figures I think is bad area and he will only continue for 300 so I got out and gave him the p50 that was on the meter and walked the rest. 

4 hours ago, goggleye said:

High traffic time no cabs are going to use a meter they sit in traffic and don't make any money. 

They always use the heavy traffic excuse but it's bullshit.  The meter ticks by time as well as distance. 

to_dave007

During busy periods, if the meter clicks on BOTH time and distance, it should be easy to understand that taxi driver makes more if taxi is moving steadily, vs stuck in traffic..  even if the meter continues to turn over by time used.  Plus, if the driver keeps taking new customers, he gets the initial fare..  40 peso in Cebu city.. agaij and again with each new customer.  Taxi driver in most cases does not own the car..  he pays a daily minimum to the owner..  and only makes additional money once that daily minimum (and his fuel) is paid..  so if the car sits idle in traffic it's hard for him to make money.. and if he sits idle while passenger eats dinner and takes in the view..  it's even worse.  The drivers know..  from experience..  how many peso per shift they need to put in their pocket.  and how many peso per hour they need to make..  especially at peaks times or in bad weather.  I'm sure there are scams..  like the one mentioned by OP..  but I think a lot of the situations mentioned are at least more understandable if you put yourself in drivers position..  trying to make a living..  they are not all scamming..  

Jester
9 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

During busy periods, if the meter clicks on BOTH time and distance, it should be easy to understand that taxi driver makes more if taxi is moving steadily, vs stuck in traffic..  even if the meter continues to turn over by time used.  Plus, if the driver keeps taking new customers, he gets the initial fare..  40 peso in Cebu city.. agaij and again with each new customer.  Taxi driver in most cases does not own the car..  he pays a daily minimum to the owner..  and only makes additional money once that daily minimum (and his fuel) is paid..  so if the car sits idle in traffic it's hard for him to make money.. and if he sits idle while passenger eats dinner and takes in the view..  it's even worse.  The drivers know..  from experience..  how many peso per shift they need to put in their pocket.  and how many peso per hour they need to make..  especially at peaks times or in bad weather.  I'm sure there are scams..  like the one mentioned by OP..  but I think a lot of the situations mentioned are at least more understandable if you put yourself in drivers position..  trying to make a living..  they are not all scamming..  

IN certain situations they are not scamming.  A driver many not be able to get a return trip from airport.  But when they are trying to get 5-10 times what a round trip to the airport would be, then it is scamming. 

• Like 1

to_dave007
24 minutes ago, Jester said:

when they are trying to get 5-10 times what a round trip to the airport would be, then it is scamming. 

5 to 10 times normal fare..  yes.. I would agree that's a scam.