bkb1

The Secrets of Sugar - the fifth estate

bkb1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

liquido
4 hours ago, bkb1 said:

Thanks...Been reading about how bad sugar is for you for quite awhile now..

• Like 1

Kreole

It is always good to know your poison.  Sugar and salt are both essential for my sense of taste and well being, and I have no intention to alter that.  I no longer eat processed foods which have many more poisonous additives, although I do indulge myself to a sweet treat, preferably, one or two Magnum ice cream bars a day, the worst result is a widening of my midriff; just love that Belgium chocolate. 

I know that sugar and salt are considered poisons, and that is because people over indulge in them.  Eating anything in moderation is the key, so your selection of foods has a lot to do with both sugar and salt intake.  At 71, there is no point in denying myself the small pleasures that both sugar and salt provide.  I am not inclined toward obesity or diabetes, as are an increasing population of Americans  and peoples worldwide, due to poor diet choices, and that is the real issue here.

• Like 1

Jester

I am not on a health food kick, but have altered my diet over the years.   One of my first changes was not using milk and sugar in coffee. 

I remember when this all started being shocked at how much sugar was in cereal.  I figured if I was going to eat cereal I would be better off eating candy bars.

I eat some processed food and drink some pop but in moderation.  My big issue is candy, never met a candy bar I did not like and eat waaaay too much.  On the other hand I do not smoke, do drugs or drink so need to die of something. 

• Like 1

hyaku

I was told I had diabetes last year by my GP. I used the word 'told' as diagnosed does not seem to be an appropriate word in this case. But blood sugar was at 420 and for sure I was sick.

I was put on meds. After that I cut sugar and high carbs out but still eat and drink stuff with lower levels. I also lost a lot of weight as the fat is a store house of sugar.

I stopped taking the med completely some time ago but still do periodic checks on blood sugar. It hovers around 100. For sure if I took med now I would go hypoglysemic. Tried it once and hit a 68 low, nearly passing out.

Just posting this to say that I consider sugar worst than poison. If you want to stay healthy and prolong your life, read labels before you buy and stick to a healthy food plan with smaller portions.

• Like 2

Rocket

A lady at my work (Nursing Home) told me "I eat as much sugar and salt as I want" She was 103 years old.

Jack Rat
6 hours ago, Rocket said:

A lady at my work (Nursing Home) told me "I eat as much sugar and salt as I want" She was 103 years old.

She obviously has Inherited good genes.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
7 hours ago, Rocket said:

I always like to know all the facts . Maybe her mother totally avoided salt and sugar and lived to be 118! Lol

• Haha 1

Headshot
53 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I always like to know all the facts . Maybe her mother totally avoided salt and sugar and lived to be 118! Lol

Whatever kills you at 103, you die of old age.

• Like 1

Humboldt

We are the sum total of all our own choices!