Pre-painted steel gutter/ Aluminium gutter

I am planning to replace the steel gutter of my house, one contractor recommended aluminium gutter, another contractor said aluminium gutter deteriorates in the weather and suggest to use thicker steel gutter instead,.

I understand both steel and aluminium  will corrode, it is a matter of which will  corrode more easily, or which will last longer.

Is there someone who has used aluminium gutter?  and what is your comment on aluminium gutter.

Ozepete

Colorbond steel gutters, down pipes etc. We used colorbond roofing etc on our Catmon home built 10 years ago (facing the ocean) and no signs of problems. 

• Like 1

Have not used aluminum. However, the steel prepainted gutters can work very well, for many years.  I had a house built with prepainted steel gutters.  They lasted more than a decade.  In fact, the only reason the gutters eventually deteriorated to the point of replacement was poor design and installation.  

The gutters were replaced a couple of years back with thicker and wider design. As well, much larger downspouts. The original contractor had used very small down spouts which were not adequate. As well, the design was to have the downspouts go into the walls of the house and thus be hidden from view.  This only lead to plugging.

As long as the gutters are allowed to dry out after rain, they should last a long time.  

trthebees
5 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Colorbond steel gutters, down pipes etc. We used colorbond roofing etc on our Catmon home built 10 years ago (facing the ocean) and no signs of problems. 

We've used steel, it's still fine after a few years. It was factory painted, and the steel was coated with galvalume. Just one thing, get up there now and again and clean the gutters out. Sludge will accumulate, particularly as every early morning there will be condensation on the cold steel before/around sunrise.

Aluminium roof and gutter parts will not corrode in our lifetimes. I have a 50 year old aluminium roof that is perfect except the paint is gone...just silver/white now.

Two big problems for the Philippines though: The fasteners must be compatible material (like that will ever happen). Second it must be installed tight because if it wiggles in the wind, even a little bit, it will deform at the fasteners and crack at the bends.

Might be too fussy for the PI.

smokey

Well we replaced this year our gutters finally rusted through but not bad 14 years roof still looks same steel painted also note thickness matters

• Like 1
On 2/14/2019 at 7:07 AM, Ozepete said:

Someone suggested to use thicker pre-painted steel gutter, when checked no leakage exist, clean the gutter thoroughly then apply 2 coats of rubberized paint like the rust proofing paint applied on chassis of motor car.

Edited by PeterC