shadow

Duterte agrees: PH should be called 'Republic of Maharlika'

oztony

I don't suppose the actual cost of pulling this name change off has been considered ....vehicle number plates will be a couple century's away ..

What a brain fart of an idea .....on the way to work today my wife said why don't they just call it Corruptador ...and be done with it....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

streak03

Lol, these guys cant even get license plates or drivers licenses right, what makes you think this will happen hahaha

• Haha 2

shadow
50 minutes ago, streak03 said:

Lol, these guys cant even get license plates or drivers licenses right, what makes you think this will happen hahaha

They do love to change the names of things though. Where I live the name of the town has been changed three times in the last 50 years, and the street names have changed names more than once too. Since I have been here Negros Oriental has been changed to Oriental Negros, and then back again. Many Cebu City streets have changed names more than once...

The list goes on...

And on...

Semper paratus

So my asawa would be a Maharlikaian  ? Yipes.  In Dumaguete the current regime got rid of a great looking nicely colored sign on the Blvd. That said "I Love Dumaguete". Now it is a butt ugly plain white thing that says "Dumagetme". What is that ? And it faces the wrong way. You see it when leaving not when coming into town. Brilliant. I can hardly wait for the next bunch to take over. Change for the sake of change. 

• Haha 1

oztony

Anyone been busy registering .net , .com and business names in anticipation of this ..Maharlika Airlines...

"It's More Fun In The Maharlika's"...............:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SkyMan

I'd go with Marklar.

wondersailor

I think it is a great political move. When some place develops a bad reputation for this or that just change the name. You get to start over as no one will be able to figure out that you merely changed the name. Why not call it Disneyland? No will know.

SkyMan
19 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I think it is a great political move. When some place develops a bad reputation for this or that just change the name. You get to start over as no one will be able to figure out that you merely changed the name. Why not call it Disneyland? No will know.

That actually doesn't fool people with intelligence. 

badian
Posted (edited)
On 2/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, SkyMan said:

I don't imagine many Filipinos identify with being Malaysian.

the country most like the Philippines, without a doubt, is Malaysia and especially east Malaysia. 

On 2/13/2019 at 1:14 AM, RR3 said:

So Maharlika is sanskrit not Malay.

the term 'Indo-China' has come to mean for some the former French SEAsian empire but actually all the south east Asian countries have been influenced by both.

both the Philippines and Malaysia were more influenced by Indian than Chinese culture illustrated by Malays and Filipinos being two of the few groups that routinely eat with their hands like Indians, and never with chopsticks. 

pretty much all the south east Asian languages are influenced by Indian ones. Thai language is derived from Pali a now-extinct Indian language that is like the Latin of east Asia.  Malay language is totally influenced by Sanskrit and Tagalog is too although to a lesser extent. 

when Bisaya speakers migrate to Malaysia they have a lot more trouble picking up Malay than Tagalog speakers do. Even though the area where Bisaya is spoken is closer to modern day Malaysia, the Bisaya language isn't closer at all. 

Edited by badian
  • Like 1

HTM
On 2/13/2019 at 1:44 PM, shadow said:

Since I have been here Negros Oriental has been changed to Oriental Negros, and then back again.

And thars wrong to, it better go back to Buglas. Buglas Oriental.

SkyMan
11 hours ago, HTM said:

And thars wrong to, it better go back to Buglas. Buglas Oriental.

Interesting. I wonder if my wife knows she's Buglasana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wondersailor
17 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That actually doesn't fool people with intelligence. 

The post was written to add some humor in the conversation. Sorry you didn't get it.

SkyMan
On 3/11/2019 at 11:54 AM, wondersailor said:

The post was written to add some humor in the conversation. Sorry you didn't get it.

Sorry, you need to use the :sarcasm:. There are so many in the world that follow  and therefore must believe your advice that I just figured you were one of  them. 

Headshot
Posted (edited)

It means "beautiful creation" in Sanskrit, but then that still isn't from a native language, so what's the difference?

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)

It means power in Hawaiian.

Confession in Hmong.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1