shadow

Duterte agrees: PH should be called 'Republic of Maharlika'

shadow

Ahhh, let's confuse them all!

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte on Monday, February 11, said he was amenable to the proposal to rename the Philippines to "Maharlika."

In a speech in Baluan, Maguindanao, Duterte said changing the country's name to "Maharlika", which means nobility, should be done in the near future.

He said the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos did the "right" thing when he promoted the name "Maharlika".

"Philippines. [It's named] Philippines because it was discovered by Magellan using the money from King Philip [II]. Kaya pag dating ng ulol, ginawang Philippines (That's why when the stupid explorer came, he named it the Philippines)," Duterte said.

"Pero okay na 'yan. Balang araw palitan natin. Actually tama si Marcos, panahon ni Marcos, tama talaga si Marcos. Gusto niya palitan [ng] Maharlika, the Republic of Maharlika because Maharlika is a Malay word and it means serenity. Tama si Marcos nun," he added.

(But that would be fine. In the future, let's change it. Actually, Marcos was right. He wanted to change [the Philippines's name] to Maharlika, the Republic of Maharlika because Maharlika is a Malay word and it means serenity. Marcos was right.)

The Philippines was named in honor of King Philip II of Spain II, after the arrival of Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan in the country in March 1521.

The proposal to change the name Philippines to "Maharlika" was initiated by then-Batasang Pambansa member Eddie Ilarde through Parliamentary Bill filed in 1978.

Marcos, who was the President at that time, supported Ilarde's proposal, but the measure was not approved because the term was seen as imperial in nature by several ethnic groups.

In June 2017, Magdalo Party-list Representative Gary Alejano filed a measure, calling for the creation of a commission that will look into renaming the Philippines. (SunStar Philippines)

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/duterte-agrees-ph-called-republic-130100671.html?utm_source=di&utm_medium=referral

SkyMan

I guess I can see changing the name, although a big waste of money for no gain, but why a Malaysian word?  Is there no word for serenity in tagalog?

MickyG

Philippines are of Malay extraction. The  number 5 is same in both languages

here they say Ok Lang  malays say ok la Do not be surprised to find more than a few vocabulary matches

Edited by MickyG

rfm010
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

...Is there no word for serenity in tagalog?

Or better yet, in mandarin?

I've always read maharlika as an indication of royalty or nobility or privelege or such.  The maharlika were a sort of high standing warrior class among the tagalogs, wouldnt think it would go over well with other groups.

• Like 2

RogerDuMond
44 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Is there no word for serenity in tagalog?

katahimikan, but not sure that would b a great name for a country.

Edited by RogerDuMond

SkyMan
30 minutes ago, MickyG said:

here they say Ok Lang  malays say ok la Do not be surprised to find more than a few vocabulary matches

Yeah but I don't imagine many Filipinos identify with being Malaysian.

RangerUp

Oligarchy of  Maharlika is more accurate.

• Like 1

fred42

"Philippines" because of the Spanish so new one  should start with XI ..

MickyG
10 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Yeah but I don't imagine many Filipinos identify with being Malaysian.

Whether they identify or not, they are of Malay extraction hence commonality of words and meaning.

The archipelagos of SE ASIA have been a hot pot of different tribes and cultures much like the Philippines is today. The language ''Filipino'' is a contrived Tagalog derived  tribal language. A language that still has little in common with the rest of the Philippines. Some words may still overlap and be ''common''.

Some have no need of a word that they cannot describe as they do not relate to its definition.

My asawa tells me that the word wanted/used by Duterte is also used to describe a prison or holding pen.......now there is a thought

• Thanks 1

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, MickyG said:

My asawa tells me that the word wanted/used by Duterte is also used to describe a prison or holding pen.......now there is a thought

That might be a more accurate name than I thought then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RR3
26 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Whether they identify or not, they are of Malay extraction hence commonality of words and meaning.

Hotpot is Southern China where from different waves of tribes colonized SEA, Oceania (and Amerikas).

• Like 1

RR3
11 hours ago, MickyG said:

That is funny. Nobel prize for that :cool:

Mahárlika (Sanskrit: mahardhikka (महर्द्धिक), "freeman"[37]). In Pre-Hispanic Philippines, the mahárlika was the "noble warrior" class whose members were essentially the same as common freedmen, distinguished by their duty to serve the ruler in battle. In 1978, then-president and dictator Ferdinand Marcossupported a House Bill mandating the country's renaming to Mahárlika. The bill did not pass since the term was seen by numerous ethnic groups as imperial in nature.[36] The proposal was revived by populist president Rodrigo Duterte in 2019.[38]

So Maharlika is sanskrit not Malay.

Chinese called it Mayi (麻逸) or The Land of Blacks. I mean Chinese explored these islands thousands of years before this Magalhaes.

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz
11 hours ago, MickyG said:

that makes sense.  also some Philippine languages share words in common with Hawaiian languages.   should they also consider calling this place "Kingdom of Book'em Danno"?  :biggrin_01: 

• Like 1

RangerUp
3 hours ago, fred42 said:

"Philippines" because of the Spanish so new one  should start with XI ..

XIRIPPINES

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Will they stop being Filipinos too...

I wonder if millions of Filipino who are now citizens in countries around the world will have to redo their Passports to show the new name of the country they were born in...

• Like 1