oztony

Papa nears retirement ....

oztony

My wife's father is 65 years old and still working , no savings or sss , just your typical barangay carpenter. I'd reckon at best he has another year in him as far as getting up and riding his bike to whatever jobsite has decided to let him strike a blow with the rest of the younger crew.

He is pretty low maintenance , when he is not working 500p a week is enough to keep him going , he lives at our house so we pay the electricity bill , no water bill because we have a pumped well. I am thinking about rigging up the rest house that abuts the front fence into a sari sari store , can't imagine it turning into the barangay walmart anytime soon , but I figure it will keep him occupied and maybe throw 1 to 2 hundred pesos in his pocket each day , we already have a full glass door fridge there (that I usually keep my beer in when in country...) he can knock up a bit of shelving to put his wares on display , buy a couple of packet of smokes and sell them by the stick , you know the routine , maybe buy a set of scales and sell a bit of rice ....

We are located on the outer fringe of a city , about 4k's to town centre , there are of course a couple of other sari sari's  in the barangay ...the usual 2 foot x 2 foot hole in the wall with a bit steel mesh over it. Thinking about making this a walk in one with a front counter (in case it's raining and people want to gossip while they are buying stuff)...you don't go past the counter though ...you just point at what you want sort a thing.(don't want to encourage the local kleptomaniacs too much LOL).

It's really not about making money ...but giving him a bit of purpose each day , a sense of doing something ....might call it Papa Joe's wala utang Convenience Store ...just so everybody starts off on the right foot after the grand opening...LOL....

wala utang = no credit (for the peeps here that are out of the loop on the local lingo)....:)

• Like 6

Dafey
33 minutes ago, oztony said:

there are of course a couple of other sari sari's  in the barangay

Hell...where I live every other house has a sari sari store!

Put a picnic table outside under shade and the local workers will buy a bottle at a time and cigs to sit there all night.

• Like 5

cookie47

Absolutely go for it. And i like your thinking regarding giving a purpose in life. Like you say, a more conventional entrance that encourages interaction (rather than the common grill) which is much more appealing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

SkyMan

Just put an awning outside rather then letting them inside to a counter. Easier to secure.  My wife and my caretaker's wife did a short term sarix2 for the construction crew next door.  Just a picnic table by our bamboo fence with a shade tent for them to sit at. One of them would bring out the wears before lunch, snacktime, evening.   Sometimes a worker would call over for a smoke or whatever.  I also said walay utang but they worked out some deal with the foreman that nobody got paid until their utang was cleared so that was ok.

My wife also wanted a scale for rice but I told her she would probably not make enough from sales to pay for it so do you want to do all this just to buy a scale? She said rice was the main thing they wanted so how can we measure it? I said when you go to the market, buy 40 kilos or whatever and tell them you want each kilo in a plastic bag. Let them measure it out and you don't even need to buy bags. They did this without complaint and if she bought enough they would put all the 1kg bags in a big 50kg sack. I would only bother with a scale if you planned to build multiple varieties of rice.

I also made her set her prices slightly higher to cover my gas to the market. She didn't want to charge more than other stores but I explained she was selling convenience.  If they wanted to run 15 minutes to the next closest store and back during their 15 minute break, they could but if they want to buy right there at the work site they needed to support it. Other stores are in places with many people around to support them but there was only the one crew.

It was a good business learning opportunity for them.  I think the caretaker's wife also cooked them meals like a mini caranderia. 

• Like 6

rfm010

So pappa is a carpenter.  Maybe he would be more interested in a small woodshop of some sort?   

• Like 2

Roadhawg

Very cool and good job of taking care of papa

• Like 1

to_dave007
3 hours ago, rfm010 said:

So pappa is a carpenter.  Maybe he would be more interested in a small woodshop of some sort?   

Was my thought as well..  or maybe some "make work" carpentry projects..  Or some project more intricate or time consuming than he might normally have done. 

Has papa voiced any thing about what he would like to do? 

• Like 3

SkyMan
10 hours ago, rfm010 said:

Could be a good idea but depends on his skills. Many carpenters here are just block layers. Or nail together scaffolding out of coco lumber. Not really cabinet or furniture makers. 

• Like 1

Davaoeno

I haven't found  many of what we refer to as " old school craftsmen" here !!   In any field .   

Most filipinos that I have met prefer cheap over quality - so there is limited demand for superior skills .

• Like 3

Gus

Just wondering .
Has this all been discussed with Papa ?
Or is it just your idea at the moment .

My mate tried to set up a couple of after retirement businesses for his FIL , and on each occasion failed due to papa's lack of interest.
Possibly in that case the only consultation was done over a couple of red horses after dinner ,where Papa smiled and nodded his head in agreement, not fully comprehending the commitment..

The sad side ..Papa eventually departed an idyllic island location, with his own provided separate accommodation, 3 meals a day , unli rice , share of a couple of Red horses everynight ..
.to live with his other kids in a squatter location in Cebu .. who don't seem to mind him sitting around doing nothing all day.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

oztony
14 hours ago, rfm010 said:

I did think of that , had visions of some nice equipment ...little lathe , thicknesser , table saw etc...but with all the power tools I have there ...he still picks up his handsaw or the hacksaw when he needs to cut anything so it would just end up getting used by others without him really getting into it I'd reckon.....

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Just wondering .
Has this all been discussed with Papa ?
Or is it just your idea at the moment .

It has been discussed , a few times over the last 18 months or so and he has been all for it , because he hates doing nothing and likes to be occupied ... 

This is the area it would be set up in ....

image.thumb.png.e2fe468a3e63933bb71ab89dbbc0345d.png

• Like 3

oztony

This is the entry to that building from the street .... and from inside the yard ...and from looking down from the other rest house ....so there is a stair access from within the yard and a gate access from the street ...being separate from the house makes the whole idea doable ...if it was attached to the house I wouldn't even entertain it...(sorry about the grainy pics ...taken by BIL with old old ipad)

image.thumb.png.180797950f1e4bd65e9eb18028e45e8d.pngimage.thumb.png.177a44126501b70bd26d29312027c7b2.pngimage.thumb.png.6d4d43f70ccd2dca02ed0ac1a4e87745.png

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, oztony said:

It has been discussed , a few times over the last 18 months or so and he has been all for it , because he hates doing nothing and likes to be occupied ... 

i'm all for it except the no utang shit.   i get paid on fridays but what am i supposed to do when monday comes?   no beer or cigs?   you know i'm good for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2