cookie47

60 year old vehicle. A collaboration of cultures

cookie47

BBC News - The 1950s car turning heads in Syria

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-47175389/the-1950s-car-turning-heads-in-syria

Some 20 years ago i saw a 1969 Australian Holden (GM) in Cebu.

On enquiring to the owner i found it had a Mitsubishi 4dr surplus engine fitted..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Edited by oztony
fix link

SkyMan

image.png.ae4efd011f918f040fe32172b52d9634.png

In 1952, the FireDome became DeSoto's answer to the demise of the large family cars powered by inline six cylinder engines. Under the hood of the six-passenger, four-door sedan was a powerful Hemi-Head V-eight engine producing 160 horsepower capable of propelling the FireDome to a top speed of around 100 mph. The 3700 pound vehicle could race from zero-to-sixty in 15.5 seconds, about five seconds faster than its nearest competitor.In 1953 the entire DeSoto model lineup was restyled, adorned in chrome and given luxurious amenities and a cozy interior, all for a base price of $2740. During the 1953 model year, around 64,211 examples were produced.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Semper paratus

Is someone trying to make me feel old or something ? My first car would be 68 years old now. It was only 7 when I bought it. My buddies car would now be 80 years old. They don't make'em like they used to. Thank goodness. Although Rich's 1939 Ford was built like a tank, someone hit us once at a cross street intersection, It put a small dent in the 39 Ford coupe left front fender and the newer car's right front was a real mess. Rich had it bumped out and barely visible about 15 minutes later. Metal then had a great memory if you caught it in time. Some things about the simplicity of the older cars I miss. Set the points and spark plug gaps with a hacksaw blade and you were good to go.

• Like 1

cookie47

When i started in the Motor trade i was assigned to assist the "Breakdown" Mechanic. 1951 land-rover and hand winch. Really nasty winter in London 1962.

He would rub the points on the kerb (blue stone) to clean. And guess who would lie on their back in the snow to put on the tow rope.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Jester

I miss some of the old car stuff, but.  Taking a trip was a major production,  oiling the carburetor linkage etc etc..  

I have not lifted the hood on my Ranger pickup in 6 months since the last oil change.

Holy bat dung Batman,  my first car would be 62 years old now,  sixty two!! 

• Like 1