Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

Chocolate store

lamoe

Location - Escario 7/11 strip mall - where Michelangelo Pizza was next to Politics

Variety of items - some very cheap wine - 165  P sweet red 750 Ml - very large tub of cheese chips (wings) 169 P

Some US and other chocolates

Fuji made in Bulacan  155 P Kg - I don't eat very much chocolate  - so particular when I do

Ingredients - sugar, coca powder, skimmed milk powder, soy, salt, and some chemicals

Consistency - not as smooth as better brands, flakes when cut

Consistency when eating - melts in mouth  nicely - not grainy / gritty

Smell - good

Taste - very mild, not overly sweet / somewhat bitter sweet - not Godiva or Van Husan, better to me than Hershey

Well worth the money

SLOOOOOW checkout - no registers so write each item on receipt then use calculator to add and for change.

20190210_210026[1].jpg

20190210_210037[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3

RangerUp
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

very cheap wine - 165  P sweet red 750 Ml - very large tub of cheese chips 

The breakfast of champions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lamoe

Given the consistency of the slab I'm thinking it might be baking chocolate?

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
15 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Given the consistency of the slab I'm thinking it might be baking chocolate?

No, baking chocolate is unsweetened.

• Like 2

lamoe

This is the Philippines  - :tongue_01: - like banana ketchup - not bad when you get use to it

SkyMan
11 minutes ago, lamoe said:

This is the Philippines  - :tongue_01: - like banana ketchup - not bad when you get use to it

I refuse to get used to banana ketchup or that nasty UHT milk.  I will do without before that happens.  Chocolate, meh.

• Like 3

Mikal

Apologies OP, hopefully not a hijack, just mentioning another source for local chocolate / cacao.

If you do like chocolate, maybe REALLY like chocolate, then you might want to check out The Chocolate Chamber at Robinsons Galleria.  It's sort of the high end of chocolate / cacao in Phils.  It's not cheap, it is quite, what, froufrou?   Feels very much like a tiny, upscale European cafe.

Large variety of chocolate based / infused products as well as some other menu items.  Many 'gift' type items available for purchase, some are made to order - it's my source for some very nice Chocolate Truffles.

Probably a waste of time and money if you're a big Goya milk choco fan.  But a visit can give you a lot of insight into the history, customs and flavors of cacao in Phils and Cebu.  The owner, Raquel, 'The Chocolate Queen of Cebu', is often times there and loves to talk chocolate.  Her kids work there also and they're equally knowledgeable.

They have, or had, a couple of other outlets, but I'm not sure if those are still open or not.

The Chocolate Chamber

lamoe
6 hours ago, Mikal said:

Apologies OP, hopefully not a hijack, just mentioning another source for local chocolate / cacao.

If you do like chocolate, maybe REALLY like chocolate, then you might want to check out The Chocolate Chamber at Robinsons Galleria.  It's sort of the high end of chocolate / cacao in Phils.  It's not cheap, it is quite, what, froufrou?   Feels very much like a tiny, upscale European cafe.

Large variety of chocolate based / infused products as well as some other menu items.  Many 'gift' type items available for purchase, some are made to order - it's my source for some very nice Chocolate Truffles.

Probably a waste of time and money if you're a big Goya milk choco fan.  But a visit can give you a lot of insight into the history, customs and flavors of cacao in Phils and Cebu.  The owner, Raquel, 'The Chocolate Queen of Cebu', is often times there and loves to talk chocolate.  Her kids work there also and they're equally knowledgeable.

They have, or had, a couple of other outlets, but I'm not sure if those are still open or not.

The Chocolate Chamber

I've seen it

Not a real fan of chocolate but In younger days did like Van Heusen  dark bittersweet bars. Could only find them in Downtown Chicago.

Bought the Fuji to see if worth getting several for next trip to Bohol - I won't be eating it.

At 155 P / Kg two 1 Kg pkgs (4.4 Lbs.) will make a big hit

Headshot

They sell Filipino chocolate at Kultura in the malls too.

• Like 1

lamoe
12 minutes ago, Headshot said:

They sell Filipino chocolate at Kultura in the malls too.

As cheap?

Last time I brought chocolate had more people around me than mosquitoes

Headshot

Go look, and then you will know. They had more than one variety the last time I looked. I don't go into Kultura very often. They have the chocolate by where they had the Philippine cigars.

RR3

I am fan of extra dark...

but sometimes my kiddie mouth likes the pinoy Choco-Peanut Bars. Was surprised when tasting 1st time, so nice combo choco + peanuts. Available in every shop/sari-sari