greatplace

Motor bike registration

cookie47

@Woolf.
Thanks, reading the highlighted text it would seem that obtaining a SP first (which i assume is a Student Permit) suggests that i could return "as a foreigner" in one month and then are able to "obtain" a full license, but would this imply a test..? Practical or otherwise..
However..

From my perspective looking and reading requirements from the LTO website is somewhat different from what really happens in the real world.

I can assure you that the FIRST thing they asked is for your passport, (Which i had 9 months Balakbayan remaining at that point).. ONCE they see Balakbayan the whole ball game changes

I asked the head of department at Mandaue, "What" other options do i have of getting a licence. She said you have NO choices, Her words, you must wait untill you leave the country and then apply immediately on your return. I wasn't even offered ANY other option Including a student permit which as your entry Appears to show may have been an option.

I appreciate your help Woolf but there seems to be a massive difference between what is written and the LTO, certainly at Mandaue.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Woolf

@cookie47

If you already have a valid foreign license, you do NOT need student permit (SP)

you just ask to have your foreign license converted

do not worry you will  keep your foreign license

Yes they will relax the 1 year a bit, I do not know with how many days

• Like 1

RedRanger
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:51 AM, SkyMan said:

If only here 30 days your foreign license is ok, no need for the hassles of getting a PI DL until you come for over 90 days. 

Correct, But I wanted it since I come to Philippines a lot.  I wanted to carry a Philippines DL instead of my passport.  To use to get western union and show as ID since they are always asking for ID's where ever I go.  Hotels, Markets, Western Union, etc

IF I loose a PI DL no biggie, if I loose my passport then I have an issue

Headshot

Your Texas DL will work as an ID, if that is all you are looking for.

SkyMan
20 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I wanted to carry a Philippines DL instead of my passport

When I was driving on my US DL here I carried a copy of my pp data page and a copy of my entry stamp, never the real pp. And while I was stopped at some check points,  no one ever asked for more than my DL.

shadow
On 2/9/2019 at 9:38 AM, greatplace said:

A mate of mine is arriving next Sunday.  He has contacted the Yamaha Dealer in Dgte and ordered a Nimax Scooter. The dealer quoted

"u can pay the bike either cash or cheque.but the registration process will take 3 to 4 months to wait..until such time ur motorcycle is free to used in the streets or public roads.

but you can take ur bike with u or will deliver it for u. meanwhile we will issue certification of sale and further certifying that ur registration is still on process. even if u have that letter...still no assurance to travel freely without ur registration. that's the philippine system Sir and problem."

So what he is asking what will happen if he is stopped by the police, shows the receipt and he says he is waiting for the registration to arrive will they compound his bike??????????

They are not currently impounding bikes for that in Dumaguete area. But other areas he may have a problem.

21 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Correct, But I wanted it since I come to Philippines a lot.  I wanted to carry a Philippines DL instead of my passport.  To use to get western union and show as ID since they are always asking for ID's where ever I go.  Hotels, Markets, Western Union, etc

IF I loose a PI DL no biggie, if I loose my passport then I have an issue

Nobody has the authority to demand your passport here except an immigration official. Your Home country's DL will work fine for ID anywhere else.

SkyMan
33 minutes ago, shadow said:

Nobody has the authority to demand your passport here except an immigration official. Your Home country's DL will work fine for ID anywhere else.

But they can require proof you've been in the country less than 90 days so if you don't show that you may have problems.  That's why I kept a a copy. 

• Like 1