Sign in to follow this  
greatplace

Motor bike registration

greatplace

A mate of mine is arriving next Sunday.  He has contacted the Yamaha Dealer in Dgte and ordered a Nimax Scooter. The dealer quoted

"u can pay the bike either cash or cheque.but the registration process will take 3 to 4 months to wait..until such time ur motorcycle is free to used in the streets or public roads.

but you can take ur bike with u or will deliver it for u. meanwhile we will issue certification of sale and further certifying that ur registration is still on process. even if u have that letter...still no assurance to travel freely without ur registration. that's the philippine system Sir and problem."

So what he is asking what will happen if he is stopped by the police, shows the receipt and he says he is waiting for the registration to arrive will they compound his bike??????????

• Like 1

Dafey

They will probably impound his bike. Just the way it is. Most likely he won't get stopped or can avoid checkpoints but it's a risk. Also, he can't take the bike on a ferry until he gets the registration.

If he needs to use the bike immediately his best option is to buy a used bike that has the registration, (not to be confused with the license plate which can take 3 or more year). and he's good to go. Lot's of nice bikes on OLX

Salty Dog

Dumaguete has a lot of motorcycle rental places.

He can get a good price on a long term rental while waiting for his registration...

• Like 1

Woolf
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

They will probably impound his bike.

And will have to pay storage fee, until problem corrected, as indicated registration can take months for a temporary number, dealer will give you a temp plate  

later you get the real license plate number and will have to go have a plate made.

real plate   years

I have 2 bikes with plates that I had made,  real plate, probably not in my life time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RedRanger
6 hours ago, greatplace said:

A mate of mine is arriving next Sunday.  He has contacted the Yamaha Dealer in Dgte and ordered a Nimax Scooter. The dealer quoted

"u can pay the bike either cash or cheque.but the registration process will take 3 to 4 months to wait..until such time ur motorcycle is free to used in the streets or public roads.

but you can take ur bike with u or will deliver it for u. meanwhile we will issue certification of sale and further certifying that ur registration is still on process. even if u have that letter...still no assurance to travel freely without ur registration. that's the philippine system Sir and problem."

So what he is asking what will happen if he is stopped by the police, shows the receipt and he says he is waiting for the registration to arrive will they compound his bike??????????

Best thing for him to do is register the motorbike himself. Or hire a person to register it for him.  My nephew just went thru this same thing in Davao City area, Took almost 2 months to get a motorbike registered so he could have temp tags.

After figuring out the issue, mostly was getting paper work turned in to the proper places it was the dealership dragging their feet and waiting till they had a lot of registrations to do before sending the paperwork on.   

• Like 4

Woolf

Coming here to PH next sunday

How long is he staying, must be for a while since buying a bike

You can drive/ride using a foreign license for 90 days, since latest entry

after 90 days will need a philippine drivers license

A bit of a problem getting a PH license on a tourist visa, not impossible but dang close to

• Like 2

RedRanger
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

Coming here to PH next sunday

How long is he staying, must be for a while since buying a bike

You can drive/ride using a foreign license for 90 days, since latest entry

after 90 days will need a philippine drivers license

A bit of a problem getting a PH license on a tourist visa, not impossible but dang close to

I tired to get a DL last time I was there, sticking point was I only had a 30 day entry visa.

If I had traveled with my wife and got a BB visa stamp good for one year, they said they would of given me a DL.  I did the medical and was waiting when they discovered that.

Woolf
2 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I tired to get a DL last time I was there, sticking point was I only had a 30 day entry visa.

If I had traveled with my wife and got a BB visa stamp good for one year, they said they would of given me a DL.  I did the medical and was waiting when they discovered that.

Correct,  that is one way to get it, but not everyone comming here is married to a filipino(a)

As a tourist that plan to stay for up to 3 years:

after 59 days go get a 6 month extension, next day go get another 6 month extension, now you are close to the 1 year

as far as *I remember you still need to have an ACR-I card, after the first extension after 59 days you will pay for the ACR-I, but you need to wait about

1 month before you get it

Woolf
27 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Correct,  that is one way to get it, but not everyone comming here is married to a filipino(a)

There is a problem for those with BB, they will not have an ACR-I card, so that will not work

SkyMan
2 hours ago, RedRanger said:

If only here 30 days your foreign license is ok, no need for the hassles of getting a PI DL until you come for over 90 days. 

• Like 1

greatplace

My mate is retired now and his wife's parents are deceased so there plan is to spend my time in their family house in Sibulan doing up the house to be used as a holiday shack.  His wife and daughter will spend 4 weeks here and he has a open ticket.  He plans on doing the small things first getting the internet and cable tv connected.  I believe the roof needs to be replaced and other larger projects ie replumbing with hot & cold pressurised water etc etc

I think he is a little pissed off............after spending 120,000 php and he can't realy ride  his new bike no insurance and no registration.   He rides a big bike back home. 

Well if that's the way it is..............so be it............Remember where you are coming too

Dafey
35 minutes ago, greatplace said:

he can't realy ride  his new bike no insurance and no registration.

He can ride but needs to be careful about checkpoints. If you see one you can always turn around...that's actually what the LTO told me to do! And...they never work on Sundays and rarely on Saturday

Woolf
14 minutes ago, Dafey said:

He can ride but needs to be careful about checkpoints. If you see one you can always turn around...that's actually what the LTO told me to do! And...they never work on Sundays and rarely on Saturday

I would NEVER ride an unregistered bike anywhere

if you get involved in an accident you will be in trouble

if you hurt yourself badly & need hospital,  maybe transport to your home country, your travel insurance may NOT pay

as you did something illegal 

• Like 4

cookie47

I can confirm that getting a drivers license whilst on a Balakbayan privilege IS problematic (although converting to Tourist is not out of the question i guess as long as you can show 12 months validity on the visa.

I found this out the hard way by waiting 3 months or so after our arrival.

The Lady at the LTO told me that you need apply VIRTUALLY immediately after setting foot in Cebu/or Ph, THEN the LTO will play ball.

I actually wrote to the office of the President because i was so piiiiisd.

Now that in itself sounds dramatic BUT PLEASE hear me out.

There is an official government complaint form on the Web.. This form allows you to put questions to an office within the office of the president in Manila concerning government departments.

I did this VERY diplomatically and graciously asking them to look into the difficulties of a Balakbayan getting a drivers licence due to having less than 12 months validity remaining on ONE'S Balakbayan arrival.

The email was answered and i was told it had been forwarded to the LTO.

I then got a email from the LTO, nice letter,, with JUST a screen shot of the regulations (which i as you can imagine i already had,( in fact from LinC members.)

No verbal interaction in the email at all apart from introduction and an outline of the problem.
So......
Did I expect the regulations to be changed just for Me NO. not really i saw an opportunity to take up an offer to write to somebody in government and being retired it gave me something to do.

So... I'm telling this story as a help to anyone intending to stay on a Balakbayan Privilege (visa) and expecting to convert their overseas licence. Go directly to the LTO from Mactan, I know this is tongue in cheek and certainly not practical but be careful, dont leave it too long,,, (second hand information says its a month but i wouldn't want to push it. ) because just like me you will be walking after 50 years of holding a overseas drivers licence.I can now understand why people go to Fixers..

I/we need to do a Balakbayan Run at no later than May. Im keeping my fingers crossed on our return.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Woolf
9 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

So... I'm telling this story as a help to anyone intending to stay on a Balakbayan Privilege (visa) and expecting to convert their overseas licence. Go directly to the LTO from Mactan, I know this is tongue in cheek and certainly not practical but be careful, dont leave it too long,,, (second hand information says its a month but i wouldn't want to push it. ) because just like me you will be walking after 50 years of holding a overseas drivers licence

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

QUALIFICATIONS

Must be at least eighteen (18) years old

Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle;

Must be able to read and write Filipino, English or the applicable local dialect;

Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application; and

In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application.

• Like 1