Sign in to follow this  
Crag

Certificate to contract marriage

baby43

The first time I had married in the Phills I had my divorced certificate, I still had to go to the Australian embassy in Manila to get it certified , of course at a cost I think it was p4000 that was about 13 years ago.   

shadow
9 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

This is my opinion..  Some countries maintain national marriage database, so that they can issue a Married or Not Married document. Philippines is one of those countries, so for all Filipino getting married they must get a CENOMAR to say "free to marry".  But MOST (not all) foreigners that they deal with come from countries WITHOUT these central databases..  and hence without a free to marry document.  So for MOST foreigners they have to get this embassy certificate that OP mentions.  However, in THIS case why would that be required if OP has actual "free to marry" certificate?

Gentlemen,

Under the family code, requisites for marriage license, art 21 reads;

Art. 21. When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.

https://www.lawphil.net/executive/execord/eo1987/eo_209_1987.html

In other words, they want it to come from the Embassy of the person's citizenship.

Mikal
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

If you have already shown them this certificate, and they are still wanting more, then it would appear like somebody is either just throwing roadblocks in front of you (a favorite past-time of government employees here), or they are hoping you will throw some money in their direction to make the "problem"go away (another favorite past-time of government employees here). Of course there is a third option. The US has the affidavit because they can't produce the certificate you have from your country, but since government workers are most used to seeing an affidavit from the US Consulate, they may not recognize an actual certificate like you have.

That was my knee jerk reaction also, having been down that road before.

However, it looks like there's something less sinister involved in this situation:

NOTE: Philippine law requires the CNI to be issued by the Embassy of the applicant’s country of nationality in the Philippines. Documents issued in Australia or other countries are not acceptable to the Philippine authorities.

Marriage in the Philippines by Australian national

OK, just saw Shadow's response, he already pointed out what I was trying to highlight.

Edited by Mikal
Read latest post
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Crag said:

Yes the CENOMAR is the next thing I must get. Thanks

You can order that online or cheaper through a PSA office, probably one in the Municipal Hall.  Your fiance will need a CENOMAR too and you probably want to order a couple three more BCs for your fiance while you're there.  Unlike western countries where they look at your original BC and take a copy, here they take an original because everyone has another p300 laying around to get another BC, right?  However, for your BC they will take a copy so no need to fret that.

I was going to ask, did they give you the full list of requirements?  Might as well work them all at the same time.  And don't be surprised if they add more. 

Edited by SkyMan

Jawny

The reference provided above also requires the permission of the parents or advice of parents if the filipina is young. 

I recall there was once a requirement to attend a marriage seminar. 

Crag

Yes the PSA is in Cebu City I believe,  so I will go there to get CENOMAR with my fiancee. Yes I got the full list. Hopefully that's all I should get,  as commonly one person could say this and another that. 

No need for  fiancee to get permission from parents as she's well over 25 years old.

Trusting all will go smoothly. 

Thanks alot for all u guys advice, much appreciated. 

• Like 2

SkyMan

Good luck and Congratulations!!

• Thanks 1

Crag

Thank you very much Skyman,  thanks guys. 

Jess Bartone

10 years ago I had to present myself and my divorce certificate in person to the Australian embassy, along with 4k pesos, and was issued with a CNI - Certificate of No Impediment - which was enough to get married. Things may have changed since then.

• Like 1

Crag

I have a certificate of no impediment, which I applied for in South Africa, as authorized by Dept of Home Affairs,  South Africa. Its states that I'm single. I think more if the Philippines statutes would see it as enough so that I wouldn't have to go all the way to my Embassy in Manila. 

shadow
24 minutes ago, Crag said:

I have a certificate of no impediment, which I applied for in South Africa, as authorized by Dept of Home Affairs,  South Africa. Its states that I'm single. I think more if the Philippines statutes would see it as enough so that I wouldn't have to go all the way to my Embassy in Manila. 

Logic and convenience are not a top priority issues here. They are as uncommon as common sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog
16 hours ago, Jawny said:

I recall there was once a requirement to attend a marriage seminar. 

Still is...

Crag

Yes,  on Friday pass I was at the municipal office to get info,  and u have to do the marriage seminar. 

Headshot
12 hours ago, Crag said:

Yes the PSA is in Cebu City I believe, 

There is a PSA office at the back of the Talisay City Hall (NE corner), if that would be easier for you. I found that office to be quite a bit quicker (less waiting) than the Cebu City office.

• Thanks 1