Salty Dog
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Absolutely,  when you are a permanent resident of a foreign country you're considered a bona fide foreign resident and don't have to meet the 330+ days out of the US rule

But that only applies to earned income.

• Like 1

EOMFD464
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

I just e-filed my return with Turbotax and it was accepted by the IRS in 19 minutes...

When you first got married here in the PI, how did you do your return and how did you get your ITIN number and did you file that in paper form?

SkyMan
49 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

But that only applies to earned income.

Anywhere a foreign residency is required.

SkyMan
37 minutes ago, soupeod said:

When you first got married here in the PI, how did you do your return and how did you get your ITIN number and did you file that in paper form?

I did a return with the ITIN left blank. Added a W-7 and mailed that along with her passport to the ITIN center, address on W-7.  Passport and ITIN returned within a month or 2.  Oddly, there's no requirement to show proof of marriage.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

when you are a permanent resident of a foreign country you're considered a bona fide foreign resident and don't have to meet the 330+ days out of the US rule

BTW, next year, (2019 taxes), you don't need to testify that you have spent more than 330 days outside the US. There is no HC penalty.

• Like 1

EOMFD464
43 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I did a return with the ITIN left blank. Added a W-7 and mailed that along with her passport to the ITIN center, address on W-7.  Passport and ITIN returned within a month or 2.  Oddly, there's no requirement to show proof of marriage.

Thanks Brother, appreciate the info. 

Salty Dog
14 hours ago, soupeod said:

13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

:ditto:

Except I sent mine to RAO Subic that had someone who was authorized by the IRS to certify a copy of her passport. Her passport was returned within a few days and they sent my tax return with the paperwork to the proper IRS address. I got the ITIN letter from the IRS  in a few months.

RangerUp
14 hours ago, Dafey said:

next year, (2019 taxes), you don't need to testify that you have spent more than 330 days outside the US.

That physical presence test is one option, the other being the bona fide resident test. 

You still have to pass one of them.

• Like 1

Dafey
2 hours ago, RangerUp said:

That physical presence test is one option, the other being the bona fide resident test. 

You still have to pass one of them.

I was under the impression that the mandatory health care or tax penalty for lack of was abolished in 2019.

You can always use your Passport to prove physical location over the last year

RangerUp
7 hours ago, Dafey said:

I was under the impression that the mandatory health care or tax penalty for lack of was abolished in 2019.

You can always use your Passport to prove physical location over the last year

I meant the 'Foreign Earned Income Exclusion' requires one of the two.

About the health care penalty, yeah this is the last year it's in effect.

• Like 1