Sign in to follow this  
Anthonytt

U.S. Tax Preparer

Anthonytt

Hello, Looking for a U.S. tax preparer in Cebu. Any referrals is much appreciated!

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I used Turbotax and submitted mine online for the 5 years I was there. I was using a US address though.

I wasn't using the free online version. I was using the paid software you download on to your PC.

• Like 1

dart69

Just curious, would there be a market there for a 'mobile' tax prep person to help expats with their taxes? Someone that would come to you place and help you?

• Like 1

shadow
3 hours ago, dart69 said:

Just curious, would there be a market there for a 'mobile' tax prep person to help expats with their taxes? Someone that would come to you place and help you?

Yes, I would say so. Several people have asked for my help over the years. There used to be someone in this area that did that, but after screwing up several expat's tax returns, he did not stay in business long.

• Like 2

to_dave007

Did tax returns for others (Canadian) myself years ago..  and have done my personal and corporate returns for years.. Can't speak for USA..  but for Canadians there are some rather important "residency" aspects of returns that you need to get RIGHT to avoid problems.  I would not wish to trust this to someone I don't know well.

Dafey
7 hours ago, Anthonytt said:

Hello, Looking for a U.S. tax preparer in Cebu. Any referrals is much appreciated!

How complicated are your taxes. Do have a lot of investments and or real Estate?

If not TurboTax can probably handle your situation. Like Dawg I've used TT for over 20 years and never had an issue. This year the simple edition, ($39), even handled some foreign investment and bank accounts.

Anthonytt
22 minutes ago, Dafey said:

How complicated are your taxes. Do have a lot of investments and or real Estate?

If not TurboTax can probably handle your situation. Like Dawg I've used TT for over 20 years and never had an issue. This year the simple edition, ($39), even handled some foreign investment and bank accounts.

Yeah, I could probably do it myself.  Pretty basic return,  had a sale of a house in 2018. That's the only thing I don't know what to do. I guess turbo tax can figure it out. Thanks 

• Like 2

Dafey
22 minutes ago, Anthonytt said:

had a sale of a house in 2018. That's the only thing I don't know what to do. I guess turbo tax can figure it out.

You may need a beefed up version, maybe another $20-$30, but they can do that. Amazon has the requirements for each and you can read in depth of what they'll do for you.

Once I had all my forms it took me about 2 hours answering the questions that TT prompts. electronically filed it in on the 2nd and expecting my return on the 11th!

Headshot

I use H&R Block. In my experience they are more expat friendly than Turbo Tax. You have to remember that being an expat gives you an entirely different set of tax rules and exemptions, and it can save you a lot of money over having to use a US address.

Dafey
55 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You have to remember that being an expat gives you an entirely different set of tax rules and exemptions,

Depends...my official address is in the US. I filed and was asked how many months I was abroad and checked all. I am on BB privilege. If you are on a permanent visa it may make a difference.

57 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I use H&R Block

H&R Block owns and updates TT. How much do they charge you for a simple return HS?

Salty Dog
53 minutes ago, Headshot said:

...You have to remember that being an expat gives you an entirely different set of tax rules and exemptions, and it can save you a lot of money over having to use a US address.

What rules and how can it save you money...

• Like 2

Headshot
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Depends...my official address is in the US. I filed and was asked how many months I was abroad and checked all. I am on BB privilege. If you are on a permanent visa it may make a difference.

H&R Block owns and updates TT. How much do they charge you for a simple return HS?

I have tax complications, so I don't get to file a simple return. However, it was less than $50 last year. I haven't filed yet this year, so I don't know. I have a tax consultant at H&R Block, and we correspond.

Edited by Headshot

Salty Dog

I just e-filed my return with Turbotax and it was accepted by the IRS in 19 minutes...

SkyMan

thepiratebay.org/search/Turbotax/0/300/0

I don't use a US address.  If filing from overseas (even by electronic filing) you get an automatic extension to June 15th. Just put a note on there somewhere that you want the two month extension for filing from overseas.  That's also 2 extra months to pay but you have to pay a little interest to use it but no penalties. 

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

If you are on a permanent visa it may make a difference.

Absolutely,  when you are a permanent resident of a foreign country you're considered a bona fide foreign resident and don't have to meet the 330+ days out of the US rule. 

In either case your"tax home " needs to be foreign to be considered for the FIE, etc. 

Edited by SkyMan