jimmyzr1

Metal detecting beaches in and around Cebu

jimmyzr1

Well I enjoyed my hobby of metal detecting back in the US to look for coins and jewelry. I hope to make some expat friends that would be interested in taking up the hobby as well, in and around the Cebu area. Touristy areas would probably be best. Attached are some of my finds made back in the US.

20160208_213018.jpg

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_2688.jpg

• Like 4

Davaoeno

You might find a different attitude here . I think if the average filipino dropped a ring in the sand they would dig 20 feet down to find it !! hehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

jimmyzr1

Not easy to find in the water or the sand, especially in touristy areas.

jimmyzr1

I’m hoping to go out with at least 2 other guys at a time for safety’s sake. You know, strength in numbers. My girlfriend wants to metal detect as well. I used to know a foreigner that used to metal detect here in the Philippines about 9 years ago or so and had good luck until he died of kidney failure.

KID
1 hour ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Attached are some of my finds made back in the US.

Nice haul.A few years back I metal detected Daytona, cocoa,New Smyrna and ponte verda beaches on a trip to Florida and walked away with all of $1.78? In newer coins. I Did however find a gutter spike placed straight up in the sand at the end of the wooden walkway at New Smyrna, saving someone from having a really bad day. I Have found 3-4 rings around the local lake beaches here in KC though. Didnt take my detector to the P.I. cuz my EX said she thought a permit was required . got my eyes set on some late 1800's stairs here that were originally wood and then covered in concrete causing some nice big cracks the city has been talking about tearing out.  Good luck and keep the thread updated please,very intrested inhow this works out for you

jimmyzr1

Yes, all of those finds plus many, many more were from the Sacramento area back in California. I’ve heard both, the beaches are fair game and then also heard permits may be required. I think it just depends on where you go in the Philippines. 

• Like 1

TheMatrix

Much more challenging here.  I tried it a few times and waaaaay too many false signals because of all the trash in the ground, pull tabs, bottle tops and especially sachets from shampoos, conditioners, etc.  I gave up after digging too many holes only to find trash.  I'm interested in knowing your results.  I have a Minelab GPZ 7000

• Like 1

Ozepete

Prospecting in remote areas of Oz has become very popular specially with the far better detectors like the GPZ 7000. Many couples are making a very good living out of it, with season finds totalling over 100K not unusual, all the time enjoying the freedom and beauty that the vast outback offers.

BTW, welcome back Steve. Are you and family back in the Phils or still in the US? 

• Like 2

jimmyzr1

I have 2 PI machines (a White’s Tdi SL and a Tdi Beach Hunter) and a Minelab Equinox 800 that I brought. I won’t be available to go out until probably May or after.

Humboldt

Few years ago i noticed a Foreigner with a Metal detector in front of one of the oldest Churches in Cebu   I said hey buddy this is a old Spanish Cemetery , he said i know , that's why I'm here.. Few mins later the police chief ran him off .... a little common sense goes a long way....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

jimmyzr1

Yes, I agree with that. I was pretty careful back in California making sure not to cause problems. I like to hit old places but have to use common sense regarding where to dig or not dig.

• Like 1

throttleplate

brought my Whites detector with me to mindanoa back in 2009 where i detected many beaches and all i found were beer caps, anything foil related and a few pesos.

i always drew a crowd and had older people saying they had gold buried somewher on their property and asked f i would check it out but i never accepted the invite.

I was very successful detecting in the usa when living in san francisco as i would hunt the beaches. My favorite beach was on the pacific coast highway PCH just after devils slide. It is a nude beach and while i detected with my clothes on the beach goers were sunning naked which didnt bother me as the beach is for everbody.

I quit detecting the ph and got involved with some locals and got back into small scale gold mining up in the mountains outside of diplog and was successful at finding gold using a sluice box i built and used in the streams which were crystal clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jawny

A neighbor close by has a very deep "pool" in the lawn area in front of his home.  He made an overseas trip for several months, and when he returned, a hole had been dug about 4-5 meters across and as deep.  The mystery was solved when some people revealed there had a been a rumor the guy had buried some gold.  The caretaker of the home stood by while the digging started.  

• Like 1

profits101

Hope this topic stays alive... this is something I'd like to do in my Top Ten, but it's not in the top half yet.

While searching out some Japanese WWII pillboxes in Negros I ended up getting to know a PNP sergeant who was very interested in WWII items. He offered some items for sale, but I was more interested to locate my own. He was interested to detect together and had a strong military bug. I spent time researching After Action reports for areas around Patag, in the those mountains northeast of Bacolod. He often stressed that it wasn't going to be a search for Yamashita's gold, which was never on my radar anyway. My gf was pretty suspicious of his motivations, thinking this was some kind of set-up. Thus far, this has been a case where I defer to my gf, thinking I - dumb foreigner -  might be missing something between the lines.

Also thinking this would be a pretty large attraction as you're wandering around, and not sure I like that.

I read this while thinking about - not a super exciting read, but this guy had pretty decent luck, and practical insights as to how to conduct beach detecting...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SQSKD6/ref=oh_aui_d_asin_title_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, hope the topic stays alive... maybe I can get talked into it haha...

• Thanks 1

Jester

I have a Fischer 1280X Aquanaut for underwater detecting.  Did some dry beach detecting in Florida and they are picked pretty clean.  Have found some neat stuff underwater but not enough to pay for the batteries I have used.

Now the story,  I am on Virginia beach and this old guy, I mean ancient is going down the beach and he is moving at a frantic pace, the detector is whipping back and forth at blinding speed.   I took some coins out of my pocket and dropped them in the sand and moved a few feet away.  I just want to see the look on his face.  He gets about a foot from where I dropped the coins, stops, then turns around and goes back the way he came.   I left the coins.   

• Haha 1