Voyager39

Mandaue Foam Mattress: Pick up at Store?

Voyager39

I am exploring the possibility of using a store-bought mattress as a backup for a trip, in case mattresses in any of my hotels are too soft (have longstanding back issues).  I, of course, expect to stay on the island I buy it on, and to leave the mattress behind when I leave the PI.

I located a branch of Mandaue Foam near Mactan, in Lahud Liloan.  I'm trying to find out what people's experiences have been with this company, and if possible, this store in particular.  I would also like to know if customers have been able to pick up mattresses on the spot, or whether this is exclusively a showroom that ships products to people's homes.

I tried emailing them but haven't heard back.  I plan to call but thought I'd ask here to get some customer feedback.

battleborn

The two MF store I have been to have mattress for pick.  I would think they all do

• Like 1

shadow
13 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

I am exploring the possibility of using a store-bought mattress as a backup for a trip, in case mattresses in any of my hotels are too soft (have longstanding back issues).  I, of course, expect to stay on the island I buy it on, and to leave the mattress behind when I leave the PI.

I located a branch of Mandaue Foam near Mactan, in Lahud Liloan.  I'm trying to find out what people's experiences have been with this company, and if possible, this store in particular.  I would also like to know if customers have been able to pick up mattresses on the spot, or whether this is exclusively a showroom that ships products to people's homes.

I tried emailing them but haven't heard back.  I plan to call but thought I'd ask here to get some customer feedback.

In this area MF also delivers.

jtmwatchbiz

that company is easy-peasy.  if you see something you like in the showroom then no matter what you can leave with one.  if they don't have extras in stock you can buy the showroom item. 

Headshot

I have Mandaue Foam mattresses on every bed in our home. My mattress is very firm, but they carry mattresses from soft to very firm, so you can try them out and decide which mattress fits your needs.

How long will you be saying that buying a mattress becomes an option? I certainly would never put a mattress I own in a hotel. There would be too much chance of bedbug infestation.

If you change locations, are you planning to carry your mattress along with you? That seems like it would be a bit awkward.

What will you do with the mattress when you leave? I presume you will be leaving, since you referred to this as a trip.

Voyager39

I have Mandaue Foam mattresses on every bed in our home. My mattress is very firm, but they carry mattresses from soft to very firm, so you can try them out and decide which mattress fits your needs.
How long will you be saying that buying a mattress becomes an option? I certainly would never put a mattress I own in a hotel. There would be too much chance of bedbug infestation.
If you change locations, are you planning to carry your mattress along with you? That seems like it would be a bit awkward.
What will you do with the mattress when you leave? I presume you will be leaving, since you referred to this as a trip.

I plan to stay about three weeks.
I didn't take bedbugs into account. I didn't really expect to take the mattress to more than one hotel, so if there're bedbugs, I guess they'll stay in whatever hotel I use the mattress in
Yes, it could be awkward to move the mattress. However, a too-soft mattress can put me into severe back pain, so for me it's worth the awkwardness.
When I leave, I suppose I'll just leave it in the last hotel I stay in. They can always use it as a spare.
The prices of twin mattresses at the MF location I checked out seemed to run from about $40 to $80. For me, that is well worth it to avoid being stuck with a bad mattress.

Now that I'm all concerned about bedbugs, do you have any recommendations for dealing with that issue? Sprays? repellant? sealing material? (to protect fabric from infestation).

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Dafey

I've stayed at dozens of hotels in Cebu City and never found a bed bug. Most of the hotels I stay at are on the cheap...some under 900 pesos a night.

I might suggest the Canberry hotel in Guadalupe. (yes Canberry not cranberry) there beds are firm foam last I stayed there and very reasonable rates...888 pesos if you catch them on a good day. Very clean. Another option is Cebu Pension Plaza. Firm foam mattresses again.

Guadalupe is a god location to explore Cebu and look for another hotel if you like. Then if you need it by all means buy your mattress. MF is the premier supplier of mattresses and pillows in the Visayans.

• Like 1

Goetz1965

The "non rubberized" ones are usable for exactly 1 night - after that you sleep on the floor as the foam is squashed.
Always buy the rubberized ones - or better a spring bed mattress.

And have fun carrying that around with you ....

SkyMan

I've only stayed at one hotel I thought had a soft mattress.  I'm guessing you won't find it.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Why?  Is it in the mattress protection program ?

• Haha 2

Voyager39

The "non rubberized" ones are usable for exactly 1 night - after that you sleep on the floor as the foam is squashed.
Always buy the rubberized ones - or better a spring bed mattress.
And have fun carrying that around with you ....

Is there an MF term for the rubberized foam you refer to? I ask because I don't recall their site using that term. On some sites, I've seen terms like high-density foam, polyurethane (though I don't know whether that's a common or unusual type of foam or not).

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

cookie47

I think what is called Flex Foam is the top of the range and has a price to reflect that.. We have it throughout our house and it IS Quite firm and in the case of a Queen size really heavy, although I'm guessing you referring to a single?

As far as Mandaue foam we have purchased from three outlets, Banilad, Mandaue and Liloan.

Cant speak of them highly enough. Of course
my wife does all the negotiations, i just I wander the shop trying things.

Delivery is no issues and cost is based on distance.And i guess just take out if you can....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Headshot

Voyager, you would be miles ahead to just stay in a good hotel, and rely on them to have firm mattresses. Any of the better hotels has decent, firm mattresses on their beds. Buying your own mattress should be your last option, not your first option. Besides, have you given any thought to whether or not a hotel would allow you to bring a mattress into their room? They might have a bit of heartburn with that.

PS... Don't worry about bedbugs. I was just giving you some downsides on dragging a mattress around from hotel to hotel. If you spend your money on a mattress instead of spending your money on a room in a good hotel, then you will be buying more problems than solutions.

BTW, if you are dead set on staying on Mactan, you should check out the Costa Bella Resort. They definitely have firm mattresses on their beds. We stayed their and got their Costa Bella King room, which has a bed that is a lot wider than a regular king-size bed. We slept wonderfully there during our stay. They also have some really nice amenities.

Also, it is common here in the Philippines that companies don't reply to emails.

Voyager39
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Voyager, you would be miles ahead to just stay in a good hotel, and rely on them to have firm mattresses. Any of the better hotels has decent, firm mattresses on their beds. Buying your own mattress should be your last option, not your first option. Besides, have you given any thought to whether or not a hotel would allow you to bring a mattress into their room? They might have a bit of heartburn with that.

PS... Don't worry about bedbugs. I was just giving you some downsides on dragging a mattress around from hotel to hotel. If you spend your money on a mattress instead of spending your money on a room in a good hotel, then you will be buying more problems than solutions.

BTW, if you are dead set on staying on Mactan, you should check out the Costa Bella Resort. They definitely have firm mattresses on their beds. We stayed their and got their Costa Bella King room, which has a bed that is a lot wider than a regular king-size bed. We slept wonderfully there during our stay. They also have some really nice amenities.

Also, it is common here in the Philippines that companies don't reply to emails.

Thanks for your reply.  Regarding "good hotels" I can only say that the reviews can be difficult to interpret let alone rely on.  I've heard other people say that the basic hotels have firm mattresses, while some of the more expensive hotels have softer mattresses.  I review hotels on Tripadvisor to get some idea of what the mattresses are like and word-search for "firm" (implying firm mattresses) to find the most promising accommodation.  Some reviewers simply say that beds are "comfortable" which of course will mean different things to different people.

When traveling across the U.S., my problems with soft mattresses let me to carry my air bed with me so that I could ensure a good night's sleep and my back health in case a hotel had a soft mattress.  Some of those soft mattresses were in reasonably nice hotels.  By the way, I carry prescription muscle relaxants with me in case a bad mattress puts my back into a condition of serious pain and stiffness.

I stayed at the Quest hotel in Cebu last Fall.  Although, it's a nice hotel (about a four-star rating per most people), the bed there was too soft for me.  The mgmt addressed the issue by providing me with a foam mattress (made by Dewfoam) that solved the problem.  The idea is to have a similar mattress as a backup in the event that I experience the same thing at another hotel which may not have a replacement mattress available.  I note that the expensive, fancy mattress that came with the room that was too soft, and a simple, cheap, thin foam hide-a-bed mattress that worked for me.  

I will check out the Costa Bella hotel, though at first glance, they seem fairly pricey.  I plan to spend part of the trip on Moalboal to avoid yet another health vulnerability of mine - the air quality in Cebu.  I have reviewed hotels for having firm beds there, but given my experience at the Quest hotel, wanted a backup mattress just in case.

I will of course look for hotels with firm mattresses (which may or may not be the most expensive hotels), but still wanted to have a backup in case I find myself having to choose between a too-soft mattress and sleeping on the floor.  Another option I've looked into is thin, tri-fold mattresses that I can place in a large suitcase, and am still exploring that.  

• Like 1