Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Dehumidifiers

miles-high

We enjoy living by the ocean... almost daily BBQ with a good bottle of red wine, while watching the beautiful sunset almost every day...

The downside is that we need to run 3 AC’s almost 24/7, in addition we run 2 dehumidifiers 24/7.

The 2 dehumidifiers extract about 18 gallons of water every day to keep our condo at about 35% humidity. We have been here almost 4 years... that is 26,000 gallons of water.

The OP manual says the water is contaminated with any airborne bacteria or dust or whatever in the air and should not be used for anything but to dump it into the drain.

What a waste... 7,000 gallons a year... anyone any suggestions? Since we are in the condo, cannot use it to water the plant or many other ways I can think of (the water is very cold by the way).

kaloy

Run the water thru a carbon filter and expose it to UV light also.  Could be possible to drink but I would have it tested first.

• Thanks 1

Woolf

use it to flush the toilet 

use it to wash the car it contains less minerals than most tap water

it can not be worse than collected rain water

In Denmark collected rain water can be used for flushing and washing clothes

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
12 minutes ago, Woolf said:

use it to flush the toilet 

use it to wash the car it contains less minerals than most tap water

it can not be worse than collected rain water

In Denmark collected rain water can be used for flushing and washing clothes

Agree about the minerals in tap water - wash car -  have to wipe down with fresh water to remove film.

http://www.dehumidifier-reviews.co.uk/using-water-collected-dehumidifiers

• Thanks 1

smokey

i use a dehumidifier also but set to 55 ... which i was told was good as lower dries out your mouth... as to water better down drain then down lungs

• Thanks 1

MickyG

What type of aircon are you running?

We have 3 inverter style air con set to run on DRY, so they take the humidity out. We do not run then 24/7, just at night if needed. Have not used any of them in ages as it has been la Nina year and still cool breezes out of the NE

Edited by MickyG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1