• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

HTM

Do they have PEX-a In Cebu?

SkyMan
36 minutes ago, HTM said:

Worried about your pipes freezing?

I imagine it's a No sock sir situation. But if you really want it there's always the BBBox store.

He doesn't mention PPR which is available here but maybe not in the US.  I would also have liked to see the manual expander for the pex-a.

• Like 1

SkyMan
51 minutes ago, HTM said:

You may want to review the video's comments, particularly those around rodents eating the pex. 

lamoe
42 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I would also have liked to see the manual expander for the pex-a.

About $80 on E-bay not including shipping

1/2, 3/4 , 1"

Think pop rivet gun

image.png

Semper paratus

Just the other day we lost a whole new tank of propane as unbeknownst to us a rat ate a whole through the rubber line that goes from the propane tank to the stove/oven. Dirty little buggers. We shortened and rerouted the new line now of better quality. If they eat it again we will install the stainless steel flex line. Would have done it this time but didn't know there was such a thing. The stove/oven is outside in the dirty kitchen so easy access for the rodents. But they'll have a harder time anyhow getting at it where I put it this time. The wife thought she smelled propane, so I kindly said please tell me if you ever smell it again. Could have been a kaBOOM. 

• Like 2

SkyMan
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

About $80 on E-bay not including shipping

1/2, 3/4 , 1"

Think pop rivet gun

image.png

Thanks but after I read the rat eating comments I lost interest.  

• Like 1

SkyMan
On 2/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, Semper paratus said:

Just the other day we lost a whole new tank of propane as unbeknownst to us a rat ate a whole through the rubber line that goes from the propane tank to the stove/oven. Dirty little buggers. We shortened and rerouted the new line now of better quality. If they eat it again we will install the stainless steel flex line. Would have done it this time but didn't know there was such a thing. The stove/oven is outside in the dirty kitchen so easy access for the rodents. But they'll have a harder time anyhow getting at it where I put it this time. The wife thought she smelled propane, so I kindly said please tell me if you ever smell it again. Could have been a kaBOOM. 

Since you still have the rubber hose, and presumably the rats, you might want to slip a piece of that orange accordion conduit tube around it.  It has a split in the side so you can put it on easily.

I think for anew house here, PPR would be the way to go though you do need to buy a special iron tool to use it.  If it's a small job or you can't afford PPR, then I'd go with PVC but only the Atlanta brand for the tubes and fittings.

RedRanger

You can use Crimp rings or Cinch rings on PEX,  The Uponor stuff would be hard to find the fitting and Uponor fitting are very expensive compared to pex fitting that use crimp or cinch rings

Salty Dog
On 2/1/2019 at 10:47 PM, SkyMan said:

You may want to review the video's comments, particularly those around rodents eating the pex. 

Rats can chew through just about any type of pipe, including metals… 

• Like 2

RedRanger
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, Salty Dog said:

Rats can chew through just about any type of pipe, including metals… 

I don't see rats chewing thru pex, I know it can happen but doesn't seem to be the case.

IF I was running water in Philippines I would use PEX in a heartbeat, if you are using uponor piping make sure you keep it out of the sun.  Uponor goes bad when UV light gets on it for a period of time.   PEX is supposed to be effected by UV Light but from what I have seen and read it doesn't make it go bad like uponor piping.

Is Uponor piping even available in Philippines? Uponor fittings are not that easy to find in the USA.

• Thanks 1

SkyMan
15 hours ago, RedRanger said:

IF I was running water in Philippines I would use PEX in a heartbeat,

If it;s available here(?) it might be an option but if you have to order it from overseas, BBBox or whatever, it would probably be a pain having to be sure to order all the fittings you need or might need in the future.  And if there was a problem, rats or whatever, you'd be kind of screwed for a long time.  As for the rats, I suppose you could run it inside of the orange flexible tubing which is fairly cheap but added cost.

Headshot

PEX home-run systems are becoming quite popular in the US, but in Cebu, the kinds of plumbing that are readily available are galvanized, copper, PVC and PPR. I have PPR throughout my home. I went with 1" pipe to increase flow. Where necessary (because many fixtures are based on smaller diameter pipe), the pipe necks down just before fixtures. Of the choices available here, PPR is the only one that will guarantee no leaks in the future (provided you have installed it properly with weld joints).

RedRanger
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

PEX home-run systems are becoming quite popular in the US, but in Cebu, the kinds of plumbing that are readily available are galvanized, copper, PVC and PPR. I have PPR throughout my home. I went with 1" pipe to increase flow. Where necessary (because many fixtures are based on smaller diameter pipe), the pipe necks down just before fixtures. Of the choices available here, PPR is the only one that will guarantee no leaks in the future (provided you have installed it properly with weld joints).

Weld Joints? LIke socket fusion with a heat gun?  What a royal PITA

SkyMan
14 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Weld Joints? LIke socket fusion with a heat gun?  What a royal PITA

It's actually pretty simple.  No more difficult than gluing PVC.  It's not a heat gun but an electric iron with a metal tube on one side and a metal post on the other.  The pipe end goes into the tube and the fitting goes over the post.  Then you turn it on for a few seconds.  Take them off and slide the pipe into the fitting.  Done.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/20-32mm-ac-220v-600w-ppr-pipe-tube-temperature-controlled-heat-welding-machine-intl-i147730980-s172993113.html?search=1

Edited by SkyMan
  • Thanks 1