Jump to content
jimmyzr1

Just arrived in the Philippines and now trying to decide where to live?

Recommended Posts

Kabisay-an gid
On 2/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, colemanlee said:

Ok let me add somewhere, Ormoc City Leyte, good schools, bars, shopping, couple hours by boat from Cebu, on the west side of the island so rarely get affected by storms, good expat community, beaches and lots of fun, 

 

Ormoc is a good choice.

It's about 2 hours and 45 minutes to Cebu via fastcraft.

It's still not quite there as far as availability of good housing options, but nice homes can be had there for an acceptable price.

Typhoon Yolanda did a good bit of damage in the Ormoc area and nearby municipalities, so typhoons can be a factor. 

Flooding can also be a problem in low-lying areas of the city and near the rivers.

Someone not familiar with Ormoc should consult a realtor who lives in the area, when looking for a house. They would know the best areas to live, in order to avoid the adverse effects of typhoons and flooding.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kabisay-an gid

Partial list of cities to check out in the central Philippines  (Visayas and Palawan) :

 

Cebu City (Cebu)

Lapu-Lapu (Mactan Island, Cebu)

Dumaguete (Eastern Negros)

Bacolod (Western Negros)

Ormoc (Leyte)

Tagbilaran (Bohol)

Iloilo (Panay)

Puerto Princesa (Palawan)

 

I wouldn't kick Iloilo to the curb quite yet, if I were you. It's one of the 'cleaner and greener' major cities in the Philippines. There's a fair number of expats there, you just need to 'dig a little' to find them. There are Facebook groups and pages where Iloilo expats communicate with each other for meet-ups etcetera.

 

 

                                                  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate
3 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Partial list of cities to check out in the central Philippines  (Visayas and Palawan) :

 

Cebu City (Cebu)

Lapu-Lapu (Mactan Island, Cebu)

Dumaguete (Eastern Negros)

Bacolod (Western Negros)

Ormoc (Leyte)

Tagbilaran (Bohol)

Iloilo (Panay)

Puerto Princesa (Palawan)

 

I wouldn't kick Iloilo to the curb quite yet, if I were you. It's one of the 'cleaner and greener' major cities in the Philippines. There's a fair number of expats there, you just need to 'dig a little' to find them. There are Facebook groups and pages where Iloilo expats communicate with each other for meet-ups etcetera.

 

 

                                                  

 

dig to find them? better bring a backhoe to iloilo and leave the shovel at home. If you are german you can find a small group that meets regularilly, nice guys but you better speak german.

The few americans you may see here dont gather for group meetings. I am so bored here as my best friend an american went back to the states 3 months ago for health reasons and probably isnt coming back. Last time i had a conversation with an american was jan 27 during the iloilo festival.

I dont know how people can call iloilo clean, ive been here since 2012 and it floods real bad, the trash is all around, traffic real bad, dogs rule the streets, watch out for doggy doo, the beaches are feces infected and not worth looking at and there is no green here. All the green has been cemented over and built on.

I am here because i met my wife here and she is close with her familly and friends but we are working on visa to go back to the usa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kabisay-an gid
1 hour ago, throttleplate said:

 

dig to find them? better bring a backhoe to iloilo and leave the shovel at home. If you are german you can find a small group that meets regularilly, nice guys but you better speak german.

The few americans you may see here dont gather for group meetings. I am so bored here as my best friend an american went back to the states 3 months ago for health reasons and probably isnt coming back. Last time i had a conversation with an american was jan 27 during the iloilo festival.

I dont know how people can call iloilo clean, ive been here since 2012 and it floods real bad, the trash is all around, traffic real bad, dogs rule the streets, watch out for doggy doo, the beaches are feces infected and not worth looking at and there is no green here. All the green has been cemented over and built on.

I am here because i met my wife here and she is close with her familly and friends but we are working on visa to go back to the usa.

 

I never specified American expats. I just said expats, which could mean Australians, Canadians, those from numerous European countries, as well as the USA. The vast majority of whom speak English.

There are expats from all those places in Iloilo, if one has the wherewithal to find them. I searched on Facebook and found several English-speaking expat groups and pages.

I never claimed that Iloilo was clean and green by the standards of Western countries. I stated that it was one of the cleaner and greener major cities in the Philippines, which is an accurate statement.

 

 

.

 

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jtmwatchbiz
9 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I never claimed that Iloilo was clean and green by the standards of Western countries. I stated that it was one of the cleaner and greener major cities in the Philippines, which is an accurate statement.

it is indeed accurate.  we do a fair amount of biz there and i find the place quite pleasant.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kabisay-an gid
On 2/18/2019 at 6:19 PM, Thalcoozyo said:

A very good suggestion.  Fast ferry to Cebu City makes the trip very do-able. Large enough that you can find most things that one needs. It is far enough away from Mindanaou to avoid the (perceived) issues associated therewith. You have sunsets there, with access to decent beaches. Tacloban is about 3+ hours away, if you wish to head in that direction. Ormoc City is a good suggestion.

 

Tacloban is only about 2 hours by car or v-hire (van) from Ormoc.

Fastcraft from Ormoc to Cebu is about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

 

 

.

 

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate
On 2/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, Kabisay-an gid said:

 

I never specified American expats. I just said expats, which could mean Australians, Canadians, those from numerous European countries, as well as the USA. The vast majority of whom speak English.

There are expats from all those places in Iloilo, if one has the wherewithal to find them. I searched on Facebook and found several English-speaking expat groups and pages.

I never claimed that Iloilo was clean and green by the standards of Western countries. I stated that it was one of the cleaner and greener major cities in the Philippines, which is an accurate statement.

 

 

.

 

where did you get your info its one of the greener places? green means parks with trees and trees lining neighborhood blocks. The reason it floods so bad here even with the billion dollar sewer system still being put in is iloilo city sits below sea level its a fact stated numerous times in the newspapers and when the sea is at high tide the sea water runs back into the sewers and causes flooding.

All the wetlands which runoff water used to drain into has been paved over and built on so loss of natural green and drainage. As an american i find that speaking with germans is not going to happen because so many dont speak english and i dont speak german. The austrailians now some i can speak to but some i have such strong accents i cant understand and they may not understand me. The uk guys i can understand and can actually have conversations with but just not many out and about in iloilo.

What i miss about american expats is being able to talk all things american from sports, culture, politics.... thats something i cant do with the other guys as we have different sports we follow such as nfl , baseball for me and rugby, soccer for them so yeah we can all sit and bitch about the ph and how it is backwards from where we came from but who wants to bitch about out of stock all day long.

So yeah there ya go if you want some american interaction you will be lonely, hook up with the german group at least they keep their group together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
5 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

green means parks with trees and trees lining neighborhood blocks.

I think you made a wrong turn . You are in the wrong continent if that is your attitude :rofl:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate
Just now, Davaoeno said:

I think you made a wrong turn . You are in the wrong continent if that is your attitude :rofl:

so tell us what does green city mean to you? or to the ph towns whom claim they are green?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
26 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

so tell us what does green city mean to you? or to the ph towns whom claim they are green?

  its already been said :

 

On 2/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, Kabisay-an gid said:

I never claimed that Iloilo was clean and green by the standards of Western countries. I stated that it was one of the cleaner and greener major cities in the Philippines

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate
6 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

  its already been said :

 

On 2/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, Kabisay-an gid said:

I never claimed that Iloilo was clean and green by the standards of Western countries. I stated that it was one of the cleaner and greener major cities in the Philippines

:sick: :rofl: :sick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate

if the op wants to come to visit illoilo i will be happy to show him the most reliable dentist whom i use and trust, the ortho doctor i have seen and other services i use. I will not put iloilo down i will just show you the places you might want to frequent and let him decide on his own. Just send me a message and i will be happy to show you iloilo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyzr1

Thank you Throttle, we are now back in Bulacan, back from a recent visit to Cebu. We are still trying to figure out where we will end up. We enjoyed Cebu, but most areas we checked out were quite pricey. Although, we are still considering there. We still want to live close to a decent elementary school and a good hospital. Having close expat friends will be a priority as well. We are done with our 3 month rental here on April 15, so will have about a month and a half to get in a lease then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papimafioso69

We've just decided to move to Subic . We found a home with Camellia homes 3.5 mil.  We know the area and like you I would like to have some people with something in common with . I already have my favorite bar Harley's and we love the Barefoot resort for dinning and dancing . Harbor Point Mall has some good shopping and it's a 3 hour drive to Manila .image.png.f78dbbfac415c82c7b324d3fb06a3016.png

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..