jimmyzr1

Just arrived in the Philippines and now trying to decide where to live?

Soupeod
37 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Unless you accidentally get hit with a stray Death Squad bullet.

Don't live on a boat in the Marina!

• Haha 1

wondersailor

Your right! Not Davao! Stay home! Beginning to look like Florida here anyway.

trthebees

Dunno if it's a typo, your post says you've just arrived, and then 1/15/2018 ! So I don't know if you're well accustomed to the Philippines.

Anyway, good luck with your search. Definitely rent first when you find something suitable. No doubt you'll end up buying a few household things and sorting school and other life stuff. 

But my main point is, while you have to try somewhere and do a bit of setting up, don't mistake the entertainment, excitement, and general keeping busy of the "project stage" lull you into thinking things are great and over-committing. Settle somewhere rented, and slow up buying stuff, and try to live a normal daily life for at least several months. It'll give a better idea of whether you like the area, or your partner misses her family area, or whether you even like the Philippines and feel like a greater commitment.

• Like 5

RedRanger
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, Davaoeno said:

In all honesty I think the only dangerous thing you are likely to encounter while metal detecting is sand crabs !! hehe  

I am surprised that your gf had safety concerns about Davao . I feel safer in Davao than anywhere else in the Philippines [ and I have driven many places here ]   In Davao they take safety seriously !! 

I like Davao as well, but they have a bomb blast about one per year.  I was in Digos a few years ago when the bomb went off at the bus terminal, I see after about 8 years they have finally arrested the master mind there.   Didn't Samal Island have a couple of foreigners get kidnapped by ABU Sayaff couple years ago and they beheaded one or maybe both of them?

They make take safety seriously but they still have a lot of bombings there

9 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Your right! Not Davao! Stay home! Beginning to look like Florida here anyway.

You are the cat who claimed you can get a condo in Digos City for like 8k per month, Still waiting fo that location,  You can PM if you want

JamesMusslewhite

I love the Surigao del Norte area. I live in the Surigao City/Siargao Island/Dinagat Island triangle. But I am more of an adventurist type and love boating, fishing and rural living. Good place to start a business, good schools and far less bustle and hassle than larger city areas.  

• Like 3

jimmyzr1

Thanks for all of the responses, I really appreciate them coming.

jimmyzr1
7 hours ago, trthebees said:

Dunno if it's a typo, your post says you've just arrived, and then 1/15/2018 ! So I don't know if you're well accustomed to the Philippines.

Anyway, good luck with your search. Definitely rent first when you find something suitable. No doubt you'll end up buying a few household things and sorting school and other life stuff. 

But my main point is, while you have to try somewhere and do a bit of setting up, don't mistake the entertainment, excitement, and general keeping busy of the "project stage" lull you into thinking things are great and over-committing. Settle somewhere rented, and slow up buying stuff, and try to live a normal daily life for at least several months. It'll give a better idea of whether you like the area, or your partner misses her family area, or whether you even like the Philippines and feel like a greater commitment.

Yes, it was a typo, I came back here on 1/15/19 after having visited the Phil’s September-October, 2018. I also viisited 2 times to Dipolog, Sindangan back in 2009-2010, but have no interest in going back there. You make some great points about not spending too much on items until we’re sure, I’m going to like it in the Phil’s.or not. 

Also, we are going to rent for some time before deciding if the location is right for us or not. I think finding and making good friends, will be a big help for all of us as well. Her son hasn’t really had many friends growing up to play with around his own age, so that definitely important to try and find.

Edited by jimmyzr1
Typo
  • Like 1

RangerUp
2 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I love the Surigao del Norte area. I live in the Surigao City/Siargao Island

How's the internet on those two?

JamesMusslewhite

I relate internet speeds as to kB/s during downloads. Using my current Globe Tattoo unit and using the same laptop I know the speeds from three local areas: Cagdiano, Dinagat Island, Surigao City proper and here on the little island in Day-asan (which is 14-16 kilimeters outside Surigao City proper).

Dinagat Island  - average high 550 kB/s

Surigao City proper - average high 250 kB/s

little Day-asan island - 840 kB/s

Each location is a different Cell tower, and all local Cell services are routed first through Butuan. For the most part I am satisfied with our local services even in the more rural areas I love to dwell.

As for the internet download speeds on Siargao Island I have no personal experience to insure I could provide factual information, sorry.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

TimL
40 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I relate internet speeds as to kB/s during downloads.

Yikes!!!! Scary thought. Hehehe

• Haha 1

JamesMusslewhite
30 minutes ago, TimL said:

Yikes!!!! Scary thought. Hehehe

Well there is upload speeds. The concept of truth in advertising means little when dealing with Philippine internet services. Fact: the Philippines has one of the slowest, if not the slowest, internet speeds in all of Asia. PLDT controls the only overseas land trunks, and eventually all other internet services must link to the PLDT mainframe. All texts and internet is first routed through PLDT trunks to Singapore and then rerouted back through a PLDT trunk back to the Philippines. So I only care what the actual download and upload speeds I receive at the router, as all else is merely smoke and mirror rhetoric of deceptive company reps.

I read on the forums often how some members receive slower that old 56k speeds. So meing on the outer edge of a deep-water mangrove in an isolated 8-hector island and being able to stream video pleases me enough. There are many members here running on far less and wish they could download or upload at 840 kB/s.         

• Like 3

Thalcoozyo
On 2/2/2019 at 7:23 AM, colemanlee said:

Ok let me add somewhere, Ormoc City Leyte, good schools, bars, shopping, couple hours by boat from Cebu, on the west side of the island so rarely get affected by storms, good expat community, beaches and lots of fun, 

A very good suggestion.  Fast ferry to Cebu City makes the trip very do-able. Large enough that you can find most things that one needs. It is far enough away from Mindanaou to avoid the (perceived) issues associated therewith. You have sunsets there, with access to decent beaches. Tacloban is about 3+ hours away, if you wish to head in that direction. Ormoc City is a good suggestion.

mikewright
9 hours ago, Thalcoozyo said:

A very good suggestion.  Fast ferry to Cebu City makes the trip very do-able. Large enough that you can find most things that one needs. It is far enough away from Mindanaou to avoid the (perceived) issues associated therewith. You have sunsets there, with access to decent beaches. Tacloban is about 3+ hours away, if you wish to head in that direction. Ormoc City is a good suggestion.

Couldn't agree more. The place seems to be going ahead in leaps and bounds with the new malls going up. Nice golf course, too. Haven't discovered the nice beaches yet, but Lake Danao is pretty spectacular.

jimmyzr1

Ok, we’re here in the Cebu area, trying to see if we can find a decent subdivision or area that’s nice enough / safe enough to live, without breaking the bank. We’re going to be here for another 6 nights, so if anyone has any ideas of places to check out, I’d appreciate it. We’re staying in the downtown area for 4 nights, then we’re going to stay in an airbnb for another 3 nights in the foothills overlooking the city. We will go check out the anteneo de Cebu school in the next day or so as well, for a possibility for her son to go to. We are open to other options as well though. Thanks

streak03

Check out Bacolod, Negros Occidental