jimmyzr1

Just arrived in the Philippines and now trying to decide where to live?

jimmyzr1

Hello, I arrived in the Philippines on 1/15/2018 and my girlfriend, her son and I are trying to decide where in this country to live? We met online in May, I traveled around the country a little (30 days) with her in September/ October, we visited Davao City, Iloilo, Tagaytay, Subic, only a day near Clark because of a Typhoon, a a few days in Manila. We are now staying near her family in Malolos, Bulacan, which I’m starting to get very bored with, actually both of us are.  We will be staying here until mid-April until her son is finished with the school year. 

We are hoping to find as safe an area as possible, with enough foreigners, where I will not get bored, hopefully with wives or girlfriends that have expat group get togethers, possibly as well. Another important thing, I would like to find a good, private school for her son to attend, one where her son would not get bored, and where they actually teach the students something. Another thing, it would be nice to be close enough  to an airport, good hospital care, as well. My favorite hobby in the US was metal detecting, so if close enough to a nice and safe beach area would be great as well. I would hope to make friends with other expats that may want to go out metal detecting as well, for security and to enjoy the hobby. 

We would prefer to live in a safe housing area instead of condos as well. We are looking to rent as well. We know, this is asking a lot, but I just sold everything in California and moved here, hoping for a less stressful and enjoyable life. Oh, one more thing, I am a US veteran as well and can use VA facilities as well, on occasion for checkups, but don’t have to live near Manila, but may need medical insurance as well. Thanks, I appreciate your time. Jim

Edited by jimmyzr1
Word
  • Like 2

battleborn

Good luck with your search

Lordblacknail

We live in a camillia homes sub division in talisay, Lawaan. We pay 10K per month for a two bed, two bath with a small yard. Huge kitchen. Good private school near by where my 8 year old daughter goes. We are leaving july 16 but there are other houses here to. If I had it to do over again, I would look in Minglanilia for a place with some land. Not that much farther away from Cebu, but a world of difference in having some land around you. If you are going to get a car, I would for sure say Minglanilla or some other place where you can get some land. North of Cebu is good too. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bmoore

She is a Tagalog,  I assume, so she may not be completely comfortable living among Bisayans unless she speaks the language. That may be another constraint.  What did you think of Subic? It is a pretty area, fair sized town (Olongapo) and far enough but not too far from the family.   Are you retired military or a disabled vet?  It may be  a pain getting VA health care if you are not.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
14 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

we visited Davao City, Iloilo, Tagaytay, Subic,

It would be a big help if you told us why you rejected each of those places 

• Like 1

goggleye
55 minutes ago, bmoore said:

She is a Tagalog,  I assume, so she may not be completely comfortable living among Bisayans unless she speaks the language. That may be another constraint.  What did you think of Subic? It is a pretty area, fair sized town (Olongapo) and far enough but not too far from the family.   Are you retired military or a disabled vet?  It may be  a pain getting VA health care if you are not.

Good Luck.

I would agree Subic sounds like a good deal for you      Lots of expats     

jimmyzr1
2 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

We live in a camillia homes sub division in talisay, Lawaan. We pay 10K per month for a two bed, two bath with a small yard. Huge kitchen. Good private school near by where my 8 year old daughter goes. We are leaving july 16 but there are other houses here to. If I had it to do over again, I would look in Minglanilia for a place with some land. Not that much farther away from Cebu, but a world of difference in having some land around you. If you are going to get a car, I would for sure say Minglanilla or some other place where you can get some land. North of Cebu is good too. Good luck.

Hello, I’m curious why you are leaving the area there? Thanks for the information.

jimmyzr1
2 hours ago, bmoore said:

Good Luck.

Yes, she speaks Tagalog, we liked the area ok, but stayed in an area that we didn’t really feel overly comfortable, also. We met some foreigners as well there. I am a disabled veteran, receiving some benefits from that as well as some other retirement.

jimmyzr1
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

It would be a big help if you told us why you rejected each of those places 

We haven’t actually rejected any of the areas yet, except maybe Tagaytay, I definitely enjoyed the area there, mainly because of the weather, but it felt I would get bored there, we liked Davao City, made some friends, but my girlfriend wasn’t sure, if sh*t hit the fan one day, would we be safe there, Iloilo was nice, that looked like they are doing a lot of building there, didn’t meet too many foreigners there though. I think we will probably look more at the Subic, Clark, Visayas areas. A good private school, as well as metal detecting beaches for jewelry, maybe old Spanish shipwreck coins would be fun as well. Although, we may have to either save that for taking trips to do that. I hope to find expats that would want to take up that hobby as well, for my safety and fun, if possible.

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

. I hope to find expats that would want to take up that hobby as well, for my safety

In all honesty I think the only dangerous thing you are likely to encounter while metal detecting is sand crabs !! hehe  

I am surprised that your gf had safety concerns about Davao . I feel safer in Davao than anywhere else in the Philippines [ and I have driven many places here ]   In Davao they take safety seriously !! 

• Like 1

savarity

Since you were in Iloilo, have you considered Bacolod?

I'm not sure about beaches or metal detecting, but there is a nice expat community there and it's a nice city. After visiting dozens of PI cities, I liked it the best, well it and BGC, although I still live in Cebu.

• Like 1

bounder
1 hour ago, savarity said:

Since you were in Iloilo, have you considered Bacolod?

I agree.  Bacolod is very progressive.  They have a good private school (LaSalle) and there is a group of ex-pats who gather often for social functions.  It even has a new private hospital on the south edge of the metropolis. There is plenty of land available for rent or purchase around the city.  Going either south or north, there are plenty of beaches in which to do metal detecting.  

Although I live 80 km south of Bacolod, I have always felt safe walking the streets there and were I to decide to live in a city, I would have no problem settling there.  

• Like 2

wondersailor

Davao is as safe as it gets in the Philippines and I feel safer then I did in the US.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

colemanlee

Ok let me add somewhere, Ormoc City Leyte, good schools, bars, shopping, couple hours by boat from Cebu, on the west side of the island so rarely get affected by storms, good expat community, beaches and lots of fun, 

• Like 4

RangerUp
7 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Davao is as safe as it gets in the Philippines

Unless you accidentally get hit with a stray Death Squad bullet.

• Haha 5