Sign in to follow this  
TimL

Global study claims that Philippines is the world’s ‘most dangerous country’

TimL

A global study of safety has named the Philippines as the most dangerous country in the world — even ranking below war-torn Yemen.

The Safety Index Score published by Global Finance Magazine considers war and peace, crime rates and the risk of natural disasters in reaching its conclusions.

Explaining why it had placed the Philippines below Yemen, the magazine said: “The safety score for countries equally weighs each of the three factors: war and peace, personal security, and natural disaster risk. The safety score aggregates the indices from these three risks, thus presenting a comprehensive view of safety for each country. 

“This also means that a high level of risk in one factor will have limited effect on the country’s overall ranking.

“For example, the Philippines is ranked least safe while Yemen is ranked second least safe. This can be attributed to the fact that the Philippines has poor scores in peace, security, and prevalence of natural disasters. 

“Yemen’s terrible score is due to war and famine but the country has a very low risk of natural disaster. Thus, the Philippines ranks lower than Yemen even though Yemen is a war zone.”

At the other end of the scale was Iceland, due to the minuscule crime rate among its 400,000 inhabitants. Even though the country contains active volcanos, these are considered to be a low risk to life.

The top of the list is dominated by European countries with developed economies and healthcare systems. 

The only non-European nations to make the top 20 were Qatar, Singapore, New Zealand and Canada. 

Although economic development was generally seen to go hand-in-hand with safety, there were some exceptions.

The US, for example, ranks almost exactly in the middle of the list at 65th. This is down to higher risk of homicide. The US also has a slightly higher risk of natural disaster due to its sheer size. 

The US is not alone among economically developed countries with middling scores — Japan ranks 43rd, largely due to its high risk of natural disaster and the UK was placed 38th, trailing countries including Romania and Kuwait.

Global Finance Magazine included 128 of the 193 states recognised by the UN on its list, with notable (and unexplained) absences including Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

The magazine said it used data from the World Economic Forum and the Global Institute for Peace to create the list.

http://philippineslifestyle.com/most-dangerous-country-philippines/

Headshot
1 hour ago, TimL said:

Global Finance Magazine included 128 of the 193 states recognised by the UN on its list, with notable (and unexplained) absences including Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Which makes the entire article bullshit.

• Like 5

HTM

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

liquido
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan

I guess those 3 countries for sure slam dunk would rank last..I saw famine mentioned in the article but for the Philippines famine is not in the equation for this country..

Headshot
1 hour ago, liquido said:

I guess those 3 countries for sure slam dunk would rank last..I saw famine mentioned in the article but for the Philippines famine is not in the equation for this country..

And likely the other 62 countries not included in the list would be near the bottom as well. This study is just pro-global government propaganda.

Edited by Headshot

mikewright
59 minutes ago, Headshot said:

And likely the other 62 countries not included in the list would be near the bottom as well. This study is just pro-global government propaganda.

Ya gotta watch out for those pro-global government propagandists Bill, they're everywhere :).

I guess the list is aimed at visitors to the countries, not locals. Can't see many Filipinos wanting to trade places with Yemenis, somehow.

• Like 1

RangerUp

Global study claims that Philippines is the world’s ‘most dangerous country’

Dangerous If you're involved in politics, or selling shabu on the city streets, or if you're a tourist in Mindanao's Southern archipelago.

Stupid study.

• Like 1

wondersailor

Despite what statistics may say, most people judge safety as it relates to them and their environment.  With that in mind, I have to say Bull !  Statistics is a game of manipulation. I feel safer here then I did in the US by a long shot. I am sure there is someone, somewhere, who can manipulate the numbers to show the Vatican is the most dangerous place on earth. Just because it was published doesn't.make it true or that the writer doesn't have their own agenda.

• Like 5

GBT62

Yep  - that certainly is one screwed up list ...

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/non-economic-data/worlds-safest-countries-2019

Besides the obvious missing war zones (Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan - I guess the list compilers were too scared to go there to judge them) - areas of unrest (Russia/Ukraine) - you have countries like Somalia not making the list at all. If Black Hawk Down failed to paint a picture of Mogadishu as a great holiday destination only if you like to pack an AK47 instead of iPad - surely "Captain Phillips" and the Somalian pirates cemented the country as a no-go zone.

Then Nigeria has kidnappings of whole schools of girls - yet is deemed safer...

Tunisia is 74th on the list and Morocco 45th :scratch_head:

In all my worldwide travels, the only place I have ever seriously feared for my safety was Tunis in Tunisia in 2014. I could not wait to get the bus back to the safety of the Cruise ship. At the city square it looked like the start of a Jason Bourne movie - white Government Toyota Landcruisers with gun barrels poking out the slits of the top of blackened windows cruised past donkey carts going to the large building next to the Tunis Souk every 10 minutes or so .... creepy - we were half-expecting a shootout or explosion the whole day. No photo's or video-taking was permitted (we were reminded regularly by our guard .... ummm local tour guide).

As it turns out - the buses from my cruise liner (MSC Splendida) were some of those attacked by terrorists 3 cruises later in the season in Tunis in 2015, killing 22 ..... and that year (June) they also had the terror attack on the hotels at Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia, killing 38 people (30 British).

You're going to tell me it is more dangerous here in Cebu or the Philippines than there ?

And Morocco - only last December two Scandinavian backpackers were decapitated in a terrorist attack in Morocco’s High Atlas Mountains - with 5 arrests so far. 4 of the 5 had pledged allegiance in online videos to ISIS the week before - and spammed the victim's families' facebook pages with photos of the decapitated heads.

Let's see what happens next on that continent.  Even the "safer" African countries like South Africa - have the white farmers being "evicted"  - usually in pieces...

Philippines last ?  really ? :huh:

• Like 3

wondersailor

What is going here, again, is the liberal Western war on the Philippine war on drugs. The inflated death toll. Of course these governments don't have a clue how to fix their own drug problem but anything stronger then they just need a hot chocolate and a warm blanket is diabolical to them. If you are a drugy then the Philippines should probably not be on your must visit list. Our loss.

• Like 1

savarity

The placement doesn't seem too unjustified. There certainly are some safety risks here, and they mentioned the natural disaster risk as well.

As far as feeling safe here? Well, I never saw armed guards at fast food restaurants where I lived in the US, I didn't have to go through a metal detector and be frisked everytime I walked into a mall, and guards didn't use mirrors to check for bombs on cars either.

As far as the killings in the drug war, they were certainly real, but I'm sure it's difficult to estimate the number.

RangerUp
Just now, savarity said:

As far as feeling safe here? Well, I never saw armed guards at fast food restaurants where I lived in the US, I didn't have to go through a metal detector and be frisked everytime I walked into a mall, and guards didn't use mirrors to check for bombs on cars either. 

Now compare how many police there are, from where you're from.

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Surviving 4+ years and counting - hell I have some balls !

• Haha 2

bmoore

Japan 43rd? Less safe than Italy and Botswana?