Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Seek Pollution Update for El Nido

Voyager39

Continuing my quest for a cleaner-air visit to the Visayas, I am posting to get some feedback about El Nido.   I'm aware that the best options for finding cleaner air are in rural areas.  However, due to some quirks of mine, it's hard to search for suitable accommodation in such areas (some may recall that I need to be able to word-search for a firm bed). 

El Nido has a relatively small population, and thus appears to be a candidate for having cleaner air.   I have also found hotel reviews indicating that the beds would work for me.  However, I've read of significant problems with pollution in El Nido, and so am posting to get some feedback regarding current conditions there in connection with any and all pollution and any relevant precautions.  Thus, pollution of air, tap water, and sea and pond water are topics of interest here.

Thanks for any info the board can provide.

Headshot
3 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Continuing my quest for a cleaner-air visit to the Visayas, I am posting to get some feedback about El Nido.   I'm aware that the best options for finding cleaner air are in rural areas.  However, due to some quirks of mine, it's hard to search for suitable accommodation in such areas (some may recall that I need to be able to word-search for a firm bed). 

El Nido has a relatively small population, and thus appears to be a candidate for having cleaner air.   I have also found hotel reviews indicating that the beds would work for me.  However, I've read of significant problems with pollution in El Nido, and so am posting to get some feedback regarding current conditions there in connection with any and all pollution and any relevant precautions.  Thus, pollution of air, tap water, and sea and pond water are topics of interest here.

Thanks for any info the board can provide.

Here's the deal. People don't go to El Nido to play on the beaches and in the water in-town. They go to El Nido because it is at the center of dozens of small islands with perfect beaches, beautiful scenery (above and below the water), clear water and no population. There are four bangka (boat) tours that take tourists to the various islands and beaches scattered around the area. You can book these tours at dozens of places around town. El Nido is a nice resort town, with plenty of decent lodgings and restaurants. It even has a BPI bank with an ATM, so you can access your money (which is rare in small resort towns in the Philippines).

El Nido has no sewage collection and treatment facilities. The fact is that the vast majority of towns and cities in the Philippines don't have sewage collection or treatment facilities, so sewage flow into the ocean will be a problem until that is fixed. Somehow, the government here sees sewage treatment as a private responsibility rather than as a government responsibility. With that history and outlook, the prospect of residences and businesses being connected to sewer lines that are connected to sewage treatment facilities (where sewage is treated so that no sewage effluent or bacteria are being piped into the ocean). That, of course, is why there is bacteria in the water right next to the town of El Nido (and most every other town and city in the Philippines).

• Like 2