Sign in to follow this  
AmericanInCebu

Suckered into a crazy, crazy, low-stakes but complex scam!!

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Taking a girl/woman that is petite and look not a day over 16, is asking for trouble

no matter how old her ID says she is

The @shadow knows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RogerDuMond
50 minutes ago, savarity said:

I believe there are major problems with your position. The primary one would be the flow of money in determining a scam, or confidence scheme.

The point that you apparently missed was that scams don't always include money, there are other things to be gained by a scam.

• Like 1

SkyMan
12 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

The point that you apparently missed was that scams don't always include money, there are other things to be gained by a scam.

:scratch_head: Pray tell? 

AmericanInCebu

Whoa this has flipped around a couple of times here. I figured.  Anyhow, according to the ID it was her 22nd birthday.  That foots exactly with what she’d told me for months.  And she looked 22 except that her physique was the smallest I ever saw and I remember thinking, having the ID will head off problems.  That’s it.  I think, as you guys have pointed out, that either (I) it was just a small-time scam for some free food, or (II) on meeting me she decided she didn’t wish to take a holiday with me after all and so figured out a way to bail.  It may be that I flashed too much annoyance when they asked me to rent the videoke machine and that was a turnoff; perhaps something else. Not the end of the world but a bit spendy in terms of cancelled reservations 

Edited by AmericanInCebu
  • Like 5

oztony
2 hours ago, AmericanInCebu said:

Not the end of the world

Well on the upside , at least it didn't turn into one of the "Wrong Turn" sequels......

Edited by oztony
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jawny
41 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

Whoa this has flipped around a couple of times here. I figured.  Anyhow, according to the ID it was her 22nd birthday.  That foots exactly with what she’d told me for months.  And she looked 22 except that her physique was the smallest I ever saw and I remember thinking, having the ID will head off problems.  That’s it.  I think, as you guys have pointed out, that either (I) it was just a small-time scam for some free food, or (II) on meeting me she decided she didn’t wish to take a holiday with me after all and so figured out a way to bail.  It may be that I flashed too much annoyance when they asked me to rent the videoke machine and that was a turnoff; perhaps something else. Not the end of the world but a bit spendy in terms of cancelled reservations 

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.  

A lot of times members will use the term scam to explain some sort of cheating, overcharging, a massage that wasn’t happy, a lousy hotel but has great reviews.  I guess if the foo bird shits, wear it.

On the subject of terms, are you now party to an identity theft?  (For those who need it....LOL). 

• Confused 3

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

:scratch_head: Pray tell? 

Do you really need me to explain how you could scam a girl out of something that didn't entail getting money from her?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

jtmwatchbiz
5 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Do you really need me to explain how you could scam a girl out of something that didn't entail getting money from her?

yea there is also cell phones and jewelry right?

• Haha 3

savarity

Since I also wrote in the very same post this line, that you edited out:

"The transfer of monies, gifts, etc under false pretenses I would point to as a key element to a scam."

It doesn't seem to follow that I, "apparently missed... that scams don't always include money"

Although, depending on just how broad the list of things is you're trying to include, I might personally disagree about the use of the word, "scam" in regard to some things.

Davaoeno
28 minutes ago, savarity said:

the use of the word, "scam"

I stand by the old adage " if it looks like a scam, smells like a scam and plays out like a scam - then yep  its a scam!! "

Of course we could have a battle of duelling thesauri but thats just an exercise in mental masturbation !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

jtmwatchbiz
4 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Of course we could have a battle of duelling thesauri 

you make zero sense in this otherwise enlightening thread.   dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years. 

• Haha 3

Headshot
33 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

thats just an exercise in mental masturbation !! 

It's likely that nobody here could compete with you on that playing field...

:steve::steve::steve:

• Haha 1

TimL
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Had you mentioned to her beforehand she'd need an ID for the trip?  If you're curious enough, take it to a post office and tell ask them.  The Postal IDs I've seen don't look hard to fake though.  They might not even know.

There is actually an App to verify Phl Postal ID's. It's called "Postal ID Verification" and it's in the Apple App Store. Not sure if they have it for other phones or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, AmericanInCebu said:

You did just fine. Many guys would have fallen deeper into the trap before realizing they were in trouble. If you are still in the Philippines, I hope the rest of your trip is going well (meeting good Filipinas is no problem), and I hope that you will stop by the Cebu City Post Office to see if the Postal ID is real or fake. If it's real, then it should be sent back to her, since it costs 650p (and is a big hassle) to get a postal ID, and that is probably a lot of money to her.

I would imagine that you put it in your wallet so you would have proof of age if the two of you were stopped and questioned about her age (a very good idea). But since it didn't work out, and since she probably didn't know you had it (since her sister gave it to you), you should return it to her, if it is real. If it is fake, then the Post Office will destroy it, and you won't have to worry about it. Just ask the postal worker if it is real or fake. Then you can decide what to do from there.

If you have returned to the US, then don't worry about it. What's done is done.

Edited by Headshot

oztony
2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If you have returned to the US, then don't worry about it. What's done is done.

It could still be sent to her via post , which I believe would be the right thing to do ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2