Sign in to follow this  
AmericanInCebu

Suckered into a crazy, crazy, low-stakes but complex scam!!

shadow
1 minute ago, to_dave007 said:

She's single.. so what if maybe she has a boyfriend..  she's still single. 

And you know this..., how?

Sorry, I don't buy this whole angle. If she had a current boyfriend, she should have told him that up front, so he could make an educated decision on whether or not he wanted to go to Bohol to meet her. 

If he had a current girlfriend, he should have told her that too, but I am not as "in the know" about that as some of you seem to think you are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
3 minutes ago, shadow said:

If she had a current boyfriend, she should have told him that up front

If he had a current girlfriend, he should have told her that too

I agree with you..  that's what SHOULD have been done..  by both parties..  But we both know that's frequently NOT what happens..  on BOTH sides. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2

smokey

Wow wow wow so many butt hurt members.   Whoops time to round file this thread

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

SkyMan
33 minutes ago, HTM said:

We don't know, you only guessing.

And then you do the same?

3 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I agree with you..  that's what SHOULD have been done..  by both parties..  But we both know that's frequently NOT what happens..  on BOTH sides. 

But frequently it does and sometimes only one side.  In this case we only know she didn't.  

• Like 1

HTM
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

And then you do the same?

No, my friend in Bos told me, and he knows sins his wife 3 cussing dating some in NBI.

SkyMan, I read the story and you don't really need a IQ more then 60 to understand its not correct.  Its a typical "Bos" story that only including a small part of what happen.  

• Like 2

savarity
She's single.. so what if maybe she has a boyfriend..  she's still single.  do you think that OP is an angel with no other girls on the hook?  In English we have a saying.. "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"..  or "what goes around comes around"..  Why do you think OP paid the 6000 peso?  who was he trying to impress?  for what purpose? Did OP rent a single bed at the local monastery for the night or was he hoping the young lady would swoon for her rich foreigner?
No question that the OP didn't much like getting played..  but the girls are not the only ones who play this game.  the game that's only called a scam when the wrong person comes out on the losing end.
So..  to the OP AmericanInCebu..  was this the ONLY (!!) girl you corresponded with when you came to PI?  Did you tell her about all the others?  Are you any more "single" than the girl?  You don't really need to answer..  none of my business..  but at least you understand the point.
I believe there are major problems with your position. The primary one would be the flow of money in determining a scam, or confidence scheme. Second would be intentions.

Filipina women on dating sites are the victims of scams too, advance fee and the like. They lose money based on the deception of scammers, as did OP. The transfer of monies, gifts, etc under false pretenses I would point to as a key element to a scam.

As to who is he trying to impress? Well, OP can answer that better than I, but I would assume it would be the person he thought was his "girlfriend," based on what she told him.

I don't see any problem to a single man or women dating many people, but that does NOT sound like the situation going on here. Evidenced by the fact that her actual paramour was one of the beneficiaries of the deception. The other aspect is intention. Again, a women dating many men is no problem to me, but based on what we are being told, it sounds like she had no intention of following through on hardly anything she told OP and instead almost everything she claimed was a sham. That's a big difference from a single women who goes on dates with several men before deciding (or not) on one.
  • Like 3

SkyMan

Maybe an IQ over 60 would help.  For instance, what does he have to gain by lying?  Did he ask for advice on how to bring charges against her? Is there any way I'm not aware of for gain, monetary or otherwise, from telling a false story here?  When people lie there is usually some motivation like divorce or getting caught at something. 

• Like 3

oztony
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I wouldn't do that if it was fake.  I'd take it to the PO and ask them.  If it's fake they will probably destroy it.  If not just say you found it and maybe it will get back to her.

Silly question ...but I am supposing that because it was her birthday on the day that A.I.C. arrived there that the birth date on the postal id corroborated that...........

If legitimate the coinciding date of arrival with the birthday of the girl is quite a coincidence ....if not legitimate ...what a convenient way to set the ruse up for a free feed for all............get an id made to suit the date of arrival ....the mind boggles , maybe we need to engage the services of Perry Mason and Miss Marple to get to the bottom of this......:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

savarity
We don't know, you only guessing. And she "selling" a short time whit him, so how mush info did she need to give. You think he tell her about all his girl and date to? BTW I only think he tell us 20% of the story, and that part maybe only 50% correct. Do you know if he marred  whit kids back home or not? Maybe he the big love scammer, I don't know.
In fact, you are actually the one filing in blanks with your imagination at this point. Granted, all we have to go on is OP's words, which is actually fine, this is just a friendly discussion (to help OP), not an investigation. Based on his story, this sounds like a romance scam.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, oztony said:

Silly question ...but I am supposing that because it was her birthday on the day that A.I.C. arrived there that the birth date on the postal id corroborated that...........

If legitimate the coinciding date of arrival with the birthday of the girl is quite a coincidence ....if not legitimate ...what a convenient way to set the ruse up for a free feed for all............get an id made to suit the date of arrival ....the mind boggles , maybe we need to engage the services of Perry Mason and Miss Marple to get to the bottom of this......:)

Might be why they didn't care about giving away the card. They'll need a new one for the next caller.

• Like 7

oztony
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Might be why they didn't care about giving away the card. They'll need a new one for the next caller.

With all the prior facebook contact etc. etc. even after what transpired I would probably expect that a girl from an impoverished situation would have asked for her identification back ,

And in saying that I also find it extremely odd and forthright for someone who has just met another person to ask for and view their id and then place into their own wallet ...that is weird and sort of expected only with an adult dealing with a child , surely if this woman/girl was of a mature enough "legal" age she would have been more than competent enough to carry her own id in her own purse......am I missing something here ...............:scratch_head:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, oztony said:

With all the prior facebook contact etc. etc. even after what transpired I would probably expect that a girl from an impoverished situation would have asked for her identification back ,

And in saying that I also find it extremely odd and forthright for someone who has just met another person to ask for and view their id and then place into their own wallet ...that is weird and sort of expected only with an adult dealing with a child , surely if this woman/girl was of a mature enough "legal" age she would have been more than competent enough to carry her own id in her own purse......am I missing something here ...............:scratch_head:

A real PID is expensive and a PITA to get but she may have a supplier of fakes for p50 or less.  Maybe free if the supplier gets invited to the party.  

Don't know if he's savvy enough but if I were to be traveling with a girl that wasn't obviously 18+ I'd want to be sure there was an ID and in my wallet would be a good comfort.  Perhaps the sister just handed it to him and walked off?

I wonder if he has heard from her since if she mentions the ID?

HTM
12 minutes ago, oztony said:

..am I missing something here ...............:scratch_head:

Yes, you reading, then thinking...  You know that's stupid when some tell a story like this. You only need say "OMG, bad scammer girl, I feel sorry for you!".

Stop thinking and question things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woolf

Taking a girl/woman that is petite and look not a day over 16, is asking for trouble

no matter how old her ID says she is

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oztony
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Taking a girl/woman that is petite and look not a day over 16, is asking for trouble

no matter how old her ID says she is

The impression that I am getting here is that the girl looks waaaaay younger than 16 .......:mellow:

• Like 4