Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanInCebu

Suckered into a crazy, crazy, low-stakes but complex scam!!

Recommended Posts

Don.

My guess is that the plan was to hook the "policewoman" up with the OP.

She is the only one that spent any time talking with him, and maybe she told him the truth at the end in the hopes that he would stay and continue talking with her.

I agree with Roger, it does seem strange that the scam ended there. Typically the scams continue.

 

AmericanInCebu, what is your gut feeling looking back on your interactions with the "policewoman" ?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
19 minutes ago, Don. said:

I agree with Roger, it does seem strange that the scam ended there.

It is possible that the pseudo cop was as much of a spoiler as a closer. The result is the same. It sounds to me like the girl got cold feet because she thought she was in over her head (she left the party without saying anything) and maybe she asked the woman to end it (since she was the only one who could speak English well enough to do so), but then her other relatives talked her into trying to pull him back in for more scamming (of course it was too late then). He is just lucky it ended how it did.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmericanInCebu
56 minutes ago, Don. said:

My guess is that the plan was to hook the "policewoman" up with the OP.

She is the only one that spent any time talking with him, and maybe she told him the truth at the end in the hopes that he would stay and continue talking with her.

I agree with Roger, it does seem strange that the scam ended there. Typically the scams continue.

 

AmericanInCebu, what is your gut feeling looking back on your interactions with the "policewoman" ?

 

You’re perceptive to ask that.  I don’t know what her game was, but in retrospect something seems off about her. No one at the “party” took much interest in me other than to shake my hand.  Then I randomly run into this person who, unlike anyone else there, spoke perfect English and while I can’t remember exactly, as I recall she asked some pretty nosey questions.  I kind of half-answered them as I was simply trying to be polite. But what the heck was she doing there in the first place?

I’m clueless what was going on.  Something must have been though. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Don. said:

My guess is that the plan was to hook the "policewoman" up with the OP.

Maybe not the community plan but she saw the opportunity knocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmericanInCebu
14 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Maybe not the community plan but she saw the opportunity knocking.

Nope. She definitely wasn't trying to pick me up.  And wasn't the least bit attractive.  Just kinda nosey and I only halfheartedly responded to her questions.  I do remember her asking something like, "how long have you known [     ]?"  Why she asked that, I have no idea...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oztony
2 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

Why she asked that, I have no idea...

Ah ...because she knew that they were having you on ....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

Can the OP describe the postal ID?  Not personal info, but what it looks like. 

It seems odd the ID was given to you. If the family was poor, a postal ID was a bit of a costly item to surrender just to have to replace it. 

Just curious.

I still think this was no conspiracy, but just an opportunity which the OP presented to the girl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmericanInCebu
2 hours ago, Don. said:

I agree with Roger, it does seem strange that the scam ended there. Typically the scams continue.

You know, maybe that's why the sisters and so forth were riding up on their scooters after I was walking home and asking me to come back to the so-called party.  They must have come up three of four times, on the bikes with some guys.  It wasn't the least bit threatening or scary, just super annoying.

They knew I had drawn the line though.  The sisters had, earlier, also asked me to rent a videoke machine for the party.  I had respectfully but firmly declined -- I guess with a trace of annoyance -- saying that paying for the catering was all I was prepared to do.

You guys are so awesome helping be debug a confusing and -- I have to admit -- somewhat troubling situation.  (I wonder if I had heeded their requests and gone back, would they have dropped me into a big boiling cauldron and had me for dessert????)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don.
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

Can the OP describe the postal ID?  Not personal info, but what it looks like. 

Lots of fake ID's in the Phils....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HTM

This is not really a scam, its only getting some free food. And its an adventure trip for you that you only pay 150 UDS, good price, You also got a good story to tell your friends.  

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmericanInCebu
2 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Can the OP describe the postal ID?  Not personal info, but what it looks like. 

It seems odd the ID was given to you. If the family was poor, a postal ID was a bit of a costly item to surrender just to have to replace it. 

Just curious.

I still think this was no conspiracy, but just an opportunity which the OP presented to the girl. 

Before I left I carefully compared the postal ID (which I still have) to a postal ID of a friend of mine.  They were absolutely identical.

The reason the sister gave it to me is that I had specifically asked for it, right after I got to the house.  The girl was so incredibly tiny that I was sure it would draw questions on our vacation. She said, it's in my sister's hut and so her sister went and got it and handed it to me.  I simply put it in my wallet so that we'd have it with us and could readily respond if any questions were asked.

3 minutes ago, HTM said:

This is not really a scam, its only getting some free food. And its an adventure trip for you that you only pay 150 UDS, good price, You also got a good story to tell your friends.  

 

 

Hopefully that's right.  It's an awfully complicated way to get free food, and had they played their cards right -- and me being such a rube -- surely they could/would have gotten lots more than that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don.
3 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

The girl was so incredibly tiny that I was sure it would draw questions on our vacation. She said, it's in my sister's hut and so her sister went and got it and handed it to me. 

Possibly the sister's ID ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
1 hour ago, AmericanInCebu said:

No one at the “party” took much interest in me other than to shake my hand

Have you counted your fingers since? Any rings missing?

29 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

the sisters and so forth were riding up on their scooters after I was walking home and asking me to come back to the so-called party.

They probably had a scanner that showed you still had money left!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmericanInCebu
3 minutes ago, Don. said:

Possibly the sister's ID ?

Nope.  The two don't look alike -- the sister is much older.   The postal ID was almost brand new and didn't appear to have been tampered with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred42

Sounds to me like you were unfortunate enough to meet some real low down scum bags here in Bohol...Sorry to hear that.
Ive lived in this part of the country for about  11 years and thus far have found Boholanos to be very honest.
What town or Barangay in Bohol do these scum bags reside in?? Thanks.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..