Sign in to follow this  
AmericanInCebu

Suckered into a crazy, crazy, low-stakes but complex scam!!

shadow
9 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

It's all part of the fun I guess!  I'm not beating myself up too bad.  I mean, heck there's nothing wrong with giving poor people a meal.  6000 pesos for tons and tons of carefully-prepared food was a real bargain.  Just hate the disrespect of being scammed.

One little thing that struck me as very odd.  The girl in question, while beautiful, wasn't just petite as many filipinas obviously are.  She was a midget.  Looked super cute and thin, and normal proportions, but could not have weighed more than 60 lbs.  No exaggeration!  Smallest adult I ever saw.  When I met her at the port I remember thinking, this is very odd!  The rest of the people there were normal-sized

My wife was 4'8" and 75 pounds when we met. Not a midget, but nearly small enough to fit in a bread box.

Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson here. All that glitters is not gold.

Edited by shadow

smokey
3 hours ago, AmericanInCebu said:

I guess I don't know much about scams Shadow, but it just seemed like an incredible amount of effort for them to go to just to get a birthday party catered!  (I mean, if you're going to go to such lengths to scam somebody, with lots of people involved, why not go for something huge!! ;-) ).  At any rate, certainly this was unique in my experience! 

Hummm were you sending money or presents during your millions of texts

• Like 1

liquido
31 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

It's all part of the fun I guess!  I'm not beating myself up too bad.  I mean, heck there's nothing wrong with giving poor people a meal.  6000 pesos for tons and tons of carefully-prepared food was a real bargain.  Just hate the disrespect of being scammed.

One little thing that struck me as very odd.  The girl in question, while beautiful, wasn't just petite as many filipinas obviously are.  She was a midget.  Looked super cute and thin, and normal proportions, but could not have weighed more than 60 lbs.  No exaggeration!  Smallest adult I ever saw.  When I met her at the port I remember thinking, this is very odd!  The rest of the people there were normal-sized

Maybe she was underage? Should of checked her ID..hehe

• Like 1

savarity

Yup, I learned to ask about height early on. Some girls are below 4'9". Personally, I prefer dating women taller than 5ft. I'm 6'1".

shadow
10 minutes ago, savarity said:

Yup, I learned to ask about height early on. Some girls are below 4'9". Personally, I prefer dating women taller than 5ft. I'm 6'1".

Which is where you will encounter another problem, a very large percentage of them don't have a clue how tall they are!

• Like 3

BossHog
4 hours ago, AmericanInCebu said:

"That girl that you're visiting, well, that's not her brother.  It is her boyfriend.  Everyone knows that, except you.  I just thought you should know.  I'm afraid you've been taken for a ride, and the whole family is in on it.  I'm very sorry."

She wasn't your ally. She was the closer. Do you not see that yet?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

oztony
18 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Yes indeed and more than likely related to the ensemble that shared in the feast ....

• Like 2

KID
1 hour ago, shadow said:

My wife was 4'8" and 75 pounds when we met. Not a midget, but nearly small enough to fit in a bread box.

In men and women, the sole requirement for being considered a dwarf is having an adult height under 147 cm (4 ft 10 in)------WE Had my half Hispanic daughter tested for dwarfism when she was a toddler, Full grown now at age 28 and comes in at 4"9'3/4---Funny thing is my half Filipino daughter is 14 and already 5"7"

@AmericanInCebu,Feel lucky some of the members stories on this forum would give you a heart attack----- myself included

Edited by KID

AmericanInCebu
1 hour ago, liquido said:

Maybe she was underage? Should of checked her ID..hehe

I did check it ... very carefully!  In fact, because her sister gave it to me, I still have it in my wallet!

40 minutes ago, BossHog said:

How so, kind sir?  ;-) now i’m really feeling dumb!!!

oztony
8 minutes ago, AmericanInCebu said:

How so, kind sir?  ;-) now i’m really feeling dumb!!!

Like all charades , when your time is up and you have'nt guessed it ...someone tells you the answer ...

• Like 3

liquido
49 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Yeah she was of course part of the scumbag team..There was no reason to tell the guy the truth because he was leaving Dodge, except maybe she was the only one with a guilty conscience...

AmericanInCebu
11 minutes ago, oztony said:

Like all charades , when your time is up and you have'nt guessed it ...someone tells you the answer ...

I really admit, I was such a rube here!  Thankfully I’ll live to fight another day ... it sounds like it could have been a lotttt worse!!

• Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, AmericanInCebu said:

I really admit, I was such a rube here!  Thankfully I’ll live to fight another day ... it sounds like it could have been a lotttt worse!!

The closer's job is to end the game, so you will walk away and not return. BTW, I really hope that you have learned some lessons here. It isn't a good idea to go meet the family until you know the girl really well (as in you have already spent some time with her).

Also, there is no way that you should have bought food on your first visit (regardless of how long into the relationship you are). It sets a really bad precedent between you and the family, and it isn't Filipino culture to ask a guest to do that. It is Filipino culture to offer a guest food and drink (even if the family doesn't have much), so that was a red flag that you didn't notice. Even though you don't think that $115US is big money, I guarantee that they did. You don't want to get into a habit of doing that (unless you enjoy hanging with scammers). A good Filipina would never do that to you (and there are millions of good Filipinas).

You should also know that any ID that they give you to keep is likely fake, so you don't actually have any idea how old the girl is. Real ID's take too much hassle to get here in the Philippines, so if they are that willing to part with it, it likely isn't real. Nevertheless, you got out of this situation lightly. It would have been much worse to really get involved (intimately) with the girl, and then get threats because she is actually 14. At that point, there would be no saving you.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond

I seriously doubt that. Who would close such a cheap scam without trying for more? It just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

oztony
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

25 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

I seriously doubt that. Who would close such a cheap scam without trying for more? It just doesn't make sense.

39 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The closer's job is to end the game, so you will walk away and not return.

I think Bill's reasoning sums it up ....

And from what I read so far there maybe every chance that this girl is underage , regardless of the id , you know the old saying ..too good to be true ..for some reason just gets put aside when people become hooked on a chance , a maybe ..and that is when you become vulnerable to skulduggery and put a whole heap more than your pride and a few bucks at risk , from what I have read here A.I.C has gone through some lengths to travel to and meet this "girl" and plan to facilitate the ensuing few days after the initial meeting ...the fact he walked away on the same day is the thing that saved him ...from the girl ..........and himself...........:twocents: 

Edited by oztony
  • Like 5