oztony

13A visa status after spouse dies.

Bama
7 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I do not believe that you have to sell anything nor do you need to leave the country.

I never suggested that the foreigner HAD to leave the PI only the time frame that is normally given to him to clean up his affairs in country if he chooses to do so. I also cited a visa option that a foreigner could apply for if he didn't want to leave after the death of his wife.

trthebees
20 hours ago, Headshot said:

Are you in Cebu or Duma? Get a lawyer where you live. If you are in Cebu, I would recommend Vicente Roco. Many LinC Forums members have used him. His office is upstairs from Land Bank on Mactan (near the old bridge on the main drag). For more recommendations, there is a thread on lawyers in the Where to find - Services forum.

Thanks for your reply. I live down South,  popping over on the boat to Dumaguete is more convenient.

But unless someone has had good experience wit a lawyer there, it would mean pot luck.So reckon it's a bit safer to try Vicente Roco who you mentioned, or someone in the where-to-find thread.

Cheers

• Like 1

RogerDat

Greetings! I went to Immigration today for annual report.

When I had finished the report, I was directed to an immigration officer with my question about 13A being canceled upon spouses death. He ask why I ask this, and I explained about what had been posted here and elsewhere on the internet

He said the 13A was canceled during the first year (trial) unless you had minor children.

After receiving the permanent 13A visa  and your wife died, and you had no children together, it was canceled.

If you had a permanent 13A visa, and your wife died, and you had children together, your visa remained in effect.

The children indicate that the marriage was indeed a marriage and not just a convenience to both parties.

The U.S. Military had a similar police in the late 80's.

Please post this permanently. Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
51 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

He ask why I ask this

They are probably gonna put you under surveillance now thinking that you're gonna off the wife...

• Haha 2

oztony

I would be interested how many different answers to the question are given depending on what office you attend..................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

trthebees
1 hour ago, RogerDat said:

When I had finished the report, I was directed to an immigration officer with my question about 13A being canceled upon spouses death. He ask why I ask this, and I explained about what had been posted here and elsewhere on the internet

He said the 13A was canceled during the first year (trial) unless you had minor children.

After receiving the permanent 13A visa  and your wife died, and you had no children together, it was canceled.

If you had a permanent 13A visa, and your wife died, and you had children together, your visa remained in effect.

The children indicate that the marriage was indeed a marriage and not just a convenience to both parties.

Cheers for the effort of asking the question. I hope, not having children, that if the 13A is cancelled there is a certain amount of delicacy applied in the timing of the cancellation and the process of being placed on, presumably, a tourist visa.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

They are probably gonna put you under surveillance now thinking that you're gonna off the wife...

Everyone going for an AR should ask this. "So, suppose my wife has some unfortunate accident......."   Why does everyone keep asking this? 

• Haha 1

fivestarph
On 1/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, RogerDat said:

Slightly off topic but do they have a Senior Citizen Line at J.Center immigration when doing one's annual report or is it one line for every Tom,Dick and Harry?

SkyMan
1 minute ago, fivestarph said:

Slightly off topic but do they have a Senior Citizen Line at J.Center immigration when doing one's annual report or is it one line for every Tom,Dick and Harry?

No senior priority that I saw at JMall.  Not for ARs anyway.

• Like 1

Woolf

I have not seen any form senior benefits at immigration J Center

• Like 1

Jawny
3 hours ago, fivestarph said:

The annual report can be done by a representative for individuals over 65. An authorization is required, as well as the ID. 

• Like 1

Jawny

As others have said, I suspect there is no clear policy regarding revocation of the 13a for a surviving spouse. The comment above suggests to me that the one being asked has his opinion. Just my opinion. 

Headshot
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

No senior priority that I saw at JMall.  Not for ARs anyway.

There is a senior line at the cashier, but not for the processing. It doesn't matter anyway. I went the other day, and the whole process took about a half hour.

• Like 2

EOMFD464

What if you adopted her children?