Voyager39

Connecting Flights on Single Ticket (Interline Codeshare)

Voyager39

Using input seen on this forum, I tried finding international airlines with partners in the PI that would consolidate flights onto a single ticket, which would hopefully provides the benefits of:  (a) making the airline(s) responsible for flight connections; (b) ensuring that the same baggage allowance applies throughout the entire trip; and that (c) bags are automatically carried from one airline to the next, without my having to get involved.

On one hand, some have warned me away from doing business with Cheap-o airlines and the like, telling me that in the event of an issue, none of the relevant parties takes responsibility for fixing problems (delays, missed connections, etc).  I thought perhaps that Cathay Pacific would allow me to book the entire trip on their site, even if part of the trip required another airline, but that's not the case.

I'm posting to ask how to arrange a trip into, and then inside the PI with airlines that have relevant agreeements/partnerships in place (Internline codeshare etc) so that the trip is on a single ticket.  If I can't arrange that, I may arrange the connecting flight on the following day to preclude the possibility of a flight delay on the int'l flight causing me to miss the connection.

Mikal

OK, so 'codesharing and 'interlining' are two different things, but that's probably not critical for your situation, and what the agreement means can vary anyways.  The thing that you're bumping up against is the fact that no Philippine carrier is a member of one of the 3 major airline alliances, so they have a very limited number of codeshares and interline agreements in place since those need to be negotiated individually.  At one point in the not too distant past, PAL had no codesharing or interline agreements.  Now they have a few, but still not many.

To get what you asked for you may need to fly PAL from LAX (to MNL).  I'm not sure if you're even in North America, just think you are for some reason.  From MNL PAL (PAL Express actually) can get you to many places in Phils.  PAL Express is owned by PAL and codeshares with PAL.

So you should be able to book a flight on PAL from LAX to, for instance, TAG, get your boarding passes issued in LA and have your bags booked through to TAG. 

BUT, just like when entering the US and connecting to a domestic flight, you do need to go through Customs and Immigration at MNL.  But the Customs bit can simply mean taking your bags off one conveyor, getting a slip of paper from a Customs officer, wheeling them over to a desk at a nearby conveyor and giving the luggage and the Customs slip to the guy at the desk.

I've never actually brought my luggage to the Customs desks at the exit in this type of scenario, just taken them off the conveyor, brought them to the transfer desk/conveyor, walked over to the Immigration desk, pointed at my luggage and been issued a slip.  And I've typically done that routine when flying in from someplace else in the region, never flown PAL from the US, and always been connecting to Cebu City.

Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned about flying into the region from North America and missing a connecting flight to Phils.  Those international flights have a good margin for error, have priority, and fly into some well run airports.  I'm just sayin that the international leg is probably the least of your worries.  So for me, given that I like to stick to a particular airline alliance, I'm typically willing to fly the long leg on my airline of choice and then connect to PAL or AirAsia or Cebu Pacific (God help me!) in region for the shorter legs.

Dafey

The issue with flying to Cebu is that there are very few non-stop flights. So...if you are connecting in a foreign country, say Hong Kong , you may have to get off the plane, clear customs and go back through the check in process for your next flight if you are on separate tickets. With one airline booking it all on one ticket they should transfer your bags and you can stay on the secure side of the gates...but no guarantees.

Either way leave a 'minimum' of 2 hours to connect.

Voyager39

Mikal:
I'm in Seattle. I flew on EVA last time.
I'm pretty sure that I tried entering my proposed journey into PAL's site, and that Seattle wasn't an acceptable starting point. If I have to fly out of LAX to plug into PAL's system, does that mean that getting from Seattle to LAX in time to connect to a PAL flight is my responsibility?

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Woolf

Why dont you use one the online  flight searchers ?

Here is one,   put in your own data

https://global.momondo.com/flight-search/SEA-CEB/2019-02-18/2019-03-11?sort=price_a

try different dates    prices change a lot

Edited by Woolf

Voyager39

Thank you.  I have looked at a few.  Some other travelers warned me off them ("them" meaning Cheap-o airways) and the like on the grounds that there was not a reliable number to call in the even of a problem.  Because of that, I paid a little more and booked on the EVA web site last time, rather than use an aggregator.

Separately, I didn't know these online travel agents/aggregators or whatever they're called would take responsibility for my making flight connections.  A brief search indicates that there is some insurance for this.  I will be investigating this further.

Jawny

I’ve used code share airlines but primarily to get the mileage credit.  As far as relying on a …partner airline" to have more reliability with regard to the concerns of the OP, I’ve never seen that to make much difference.  Bad weather, crew shortages, airport restrictions and many other problems can develop for which the airline can try to dodge responsibility. 

As a general rule, I assume there will be some sort of issue develop while traveling and plan to be ready for the many "what if" situations. 

For all of the countries I’ve travelled, the Philippines is for sure the go with the flow country.  

Woolf
21 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

Thank you.  I have looked at a few.  Some other travelers warned me off them ("them" meaning Cheap-o airways) and the like on the grounds that there was not a reliable number to call in the even of a problem.  Because of that, I paid a little more and booked on the EVA web site last time, rather than use an aggregator.

Separately, I didn't know these online travel agents/aggregators or whatever they're called would take responsibility for my making flight connections.  A brief search indicates that there is some insurance for this.  I will be investigating this further.

I have used momondo now 10 years + to search for flights

momondo searches multi may agencies to find flights

momondo does not sell tickets the agents does

I was delayed  in Hamburg once (on my way to argentina) by more than an hour and missed my connecting flight in NY

the airline booked me for the next day and  gave me a hotel and meal tickets, shuttle to and from airport

Was delayed out of Cebu once and missed connecting flight in Hong Kong, the airline booked me for next day

ooh and BTW I always have travel insurance, so if sh*t hits the fan they will pay 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, Mikal said:

BUT, just like when entering the US and connecting to a domestic flight, you do need to go through Customs and Immigration at MNL.

I have flown PAL vancouver-manila-davao   and vv maybe 20 times.  I have never touched or even seen my luggage in Manila.

I have accordingly never been to Customs in Manila 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2

SkyMan
9 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

I thought perhaps that Cathay Pacific would allow me to book the entire trip on their site

Did you mean Eva? You were mentioning Eva on your other thread I think.  Either way,  try to call them.  A website can only do so much and the customer service might be able to get you what you want. 

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

PAL may be more costly than some others, but they do offer some travel benefits. 

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/Home/TravelInformation/BeforeYouFly/AtTheAirport/ConnectingFlights

that page says :   Passengers may need to claim their baggage and clear with Customs upon arrival. 

In fact PAL in Vancouver usually tells me that I have to claim my luggage in Manila.  I now no longer argue with them , because over 9 years that has never happened even once .  

Mikal
7 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I have flown PAL vancouver-manila-davao   and vv maybe 20 times.  I have never touched or even seen my luggage in Manila.

I have accordingly never been to Customs in Manila 

OK, then I stand corrected for speaking far too broadly and with far too much certainty.  

But your post raises a couple of interesting points:

1.  So how do they separate incoming passengers and luggage in DVO that originated internationally?  I think that would be a challenge at many airports.  I'm genuinely interested in how they handle that?   Since it's PAL at the point of origin I guess they are counting on the baggage screening there to be to Phils 'standards'.

2.  Since the OP says below that he lives in Seattle, you may have solved his original issue - how to fly on a single ticket, with baggage checked through to his final destination, and a single airline to be accountable (as much as PAL can ever be accountable I suppose).

So lets say that the OP decides to go to TAG.  Now I'd say that it's still very, very likely that he'd have to go through Customs & Immigration in MNL, but I don't think that's really much of an issue if he gets what he has stated as his primary requirements.

It does add a Seattle <-> Vancouver leg of travel, but  by car, train, bus, probably not too expensive or take too much time.  Certainly seems like a viable, possibly the best route to take.

Mikal
9 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Mikal:
I'm in Seattle. I flew on EVA last time.
I'm pretty sure that I tried entering my proposed journey into PAL's site, and that Seattle wasn't an acceptable starting point. If I have to fly out of LAX to plug into PAL's system, does that mean that getting from Seattle to LAX in time to connect to a PAL flight is my responsibility?

Ahhhh, nice, my Trans-Pacific airline.  Hope that they had already phased out those old planes they were using on that route when you last travelled.

Actually, I think it's your connection to an airline servicing your final destination in Phils that would be your main concern.  Even if you could get on an EVA codeshare between SEA and LAX (and I don't know that you can since EVA services both markets) then EVA can only get you to MNL or CEB, not to any of the smaller locations.

But if you're willing to fly through YVR (Vancouver)...  On PAL.  *shrug*  Might be your safest, best option overall.

Voyager39

But if you're willing to fly through YVR (Vancouver)...  On PAL.  *shrug*  Might be your safest, best option overall.

To do that, I would fly from Seattle to Vancouver on a separate ticket then? I tried entering SEA as a starting point on the PAL web site, and the site would not accept the entry. I grant that it's a short flight and shouldn't be a problem. But it wouldn't be a comfortable feeling thinking that a delay would jeopardize the trans-pacific journey.