Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Searching for Hotels using multiple criteria

Voyager39

I have been searching for travel and accommodation information for areas with cleaner air than Cebu city had on a recent trip (as some will recognize from my prior threads).  I now realize that I may have done things in the wrong order, by first looking for travel arrangements and checking for hotels later, only to find that there may not be any hotels that meet my criteria.  I have various (pretty picky) requirements for travel including: cleaner air (a recent addition to my list), a firm bed (sensitive back), reasonable quietness for sleep (light sleeper and have a fatigue condition that requires me to take naps during the day).  I have gone to the point of checking hotel pics to ensure that the hotel has split unit AC since those are quieter than window AC units.

I'm posting to see if there's a better way to search for what I need.  As regards accommodation, I have searched using Tripadvisor, entering location information in the pull-down menu as expected, and entering additional screening/search terms in the search query box at the upper right.  I look for hotel reviews that specifically compliment hotels on the bed firmness, or reviews that complain of excessive bed firmness (both are positive from my standpoint).  This approach works ok, but can require significant additional reading to look for other features (noise, cleanliness, etc.).   If there's a way to conduct to conduct a search for multiple fields (i.e. bed firmness, quietness, cleanliness at the same time, that would be optimal).

Dafey

Keep in mind the 'online' booking sites only show you a small percentage of what's out there. And...each site only is allowed to book a few rooms for each hotel---so, when they say 'sold out' it means that booking site is sold out of it's allotment but the hotel surely has rooms left. Try getting in touch with the hotel directly for the best service.

I've been following your posts and am excited for you for your upcoming trip. But with all the planning it feels like you are taking the fun out of the vacation!

Maybe just my style. I used to plan like that but found I can hop on a ferry or motorcycle and just go and have never had a problem finding a descent room. In some cases I've found those hidden treasure places to stay.

Either way I wish you a safe and fun trip...just relax, there are more rooms than guests in the Philippines.

• Like 1

Jawny

If there is to be any sort of adjustment to the reservation, that may require you to make the adjustments online even when you are at the hotel. May be just inconvenient, but if there is any issue with the process, the hotel may not be able to accommodate you.

As well, many require an advanced payment which is forfeited if you miss your ferry trip or such.  

Some hotels will accepted phone in reservations sans credit card.  They give you the walk-in rate, but will hold the room. 

Goetz1965

In Hotels I would be more interested to know if they use a springbed or foam mattress 

Voyager39

I've been following your posts and am excited for you for your upcoming trip. But with all the planning it feels like you are taking the fun out of the vacation!
Maybe just my style.

Thank you for the good wishes, and for the helpful information. There is a reason and a method to my madness. My back is highly sensitive to soft mattresses. So much so that soft mattress at my Cebu hotel last August was causing me considerable pain. The mgmt finally found a substitute mattress that worked. But I can't be sure that I'll be that lucky next time. The only technique I've found to check for bed firmness in advance is the review section on Trip advisor. Unfortunately, there is no universal metric for firmness, or I could just check the numbers in advance. I am trusting strangers when they say the word "firm".

I will take the advice and check with the hotel sites themselves. But I will need some assurance that the beds will work for me. I guess I'll look for other review sites as well.
Thanks again for your post.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Jim Sibbick

Usually, I don't pay any money until I see my room and if the hotel insists on payment. I tell them that I will be staying elsewhere. That way I don't get stuck with a room i don't like.

If you don't think you could operate like that. Book a room for the first night then use the first day to find the hotel that suits you best. Which might be the hotel you are at. So, you can then  check the aircon and test the bed. and see for your self how clean the room is before you hand over the money. 

Window type aircon can be quiet as well. Turn it on and hear for yourself how much noise it makes. All I hear from the window type aircon in my hotel is the airflow. But you would not be happy with the street noise from my room. I have been staying there off and on for nearly 24 years. the noise doesn't bother me. But I know that there are other rooms in my hotel with no street noise but no view.

By the way, showing up at a hotel looking refreshed, without luggage and telling them you are shopping around for the best price can get you very good deals. 

Jim Sibbick

From memory, you are seeking accommodation on Bohol. 

Also from memory, pretty sure that my room at the Bohol Bee farm had a split system. The room was very clean. And the room was definitely quiet. There is absolutely no street noise as the only traffic going in is resort traffic and even then, the cars operate no where near most of the rooms. And being right by the sea, very good quality air. My room was in the treetops with lots of stairs up to the room. Then from the balcony, I was overlooking the sea. From  memory, firm mattress.

https://www.boholbeefarm.com/

Voyager39

From memory, you are seeking accommodation on Bohol. 
Also from memory, pretty sure that my room at the Bohol Bee farm had a split system. The room was very clean. And the room was definitely quiet. There is absolutely no street noise as the only traffic going in is resort traffic and even then, the cars operate no where near most of the rooms. And being right by the sea, very good quality air. My room was in the treetops with lots of stairs up to the room. Then from the balcony, I was overlooking the sea. From  memory, firm mattress.
https://www.boholbeefarm.com/

Thanks. Visiting Talibon in Bohol was one option. But I was unable to find online reviews stating that the beds in the pension houses there were firm. So I am looking elsewhere for now.
The notion of personally checking out the bed comfort and the noise level, prior to committing and paying, is great if you already live there. But I don't know how I'd do that when arranging an overseas trip from the U.S. In my experience, the hotels expect payment (for the entire stay) either when the reservation is made, or at the latest, upon checking in. It seems unthinkable to me to not have a reservation ready when arriving in the PI on an international flight. However, if there's a better way to arrange all this, I'd love to know about it.

Raven

Have you tried private accommodation sites, like AirBnB. You can communicate direct with the hosts (in most cases) and not an employed. Hosts are very concerned to give you the the best and correct information, to keep the reviews on high standard. As others suggested, book 1 night and check things out. 

We advertise on AirBnB and describe things like; Mandaue Foam Spring Mattress (and even the length of bed), Silent Split-Type Aircon and our place is secluded from noisy streets.

Of course not everyone on AirBnB are writing all details and sometimes you don't know if its really important to Guests.

We have a church, less than 100 meter away, and they don't have much respect for neighbors, so several times a day the use speakers for their propaganda... our filipino Guests don't mind, they are use to it, but foreign Guests hate it.
And we write "In the heart of the city secluded from the noisy streets where the jeepneys run". That means you have to walk 100 meter... filipino hate it, foreigners love it - walking distance to everything.

So what does Guests prefer? - A noisy street or 100 meter walk!

Well, the mainline was -  check out AirBnB if you don't already know about it.

Edited by Raven

Voyager39
Have you tried private accommodation sites, like AirBnB. You can communicate direct with the hosts (in most cases) and not an employed. Hosts are very concerned to give you the the best and correct information, to keep the reviews on high standard. As others suggested, book 1 night and check things out. 
We advertise on AirBnB and describe things like; Mandaue Foam Spring Mattress (and even the length of bed), Silent Split-Type Aircon and our place is secluded from noisy streets.
Of course not everyone on AirBnB are writing all details and sometimes you don't know if its really important to Guests.
We have a church, less than 100 meter away, and they don't have much respect for neighbors, so several times a day the use speakers for their propaganda... our filipino Guests don't mind, they are use to it, but foreign Guests hate it.
And we write "In the heart of the city secluded from the noisy streets where the jeepneys run". That means you have to walk 100 meter... filipino hate it, foreigners love it - walking distance to everything.
So what does Guests prefer? - A noisy street or 100 meter walk!
Well, the mainline was -  check out AirBnB if you don't already know about it.
Thank you. I have looked at airbnb but it lacks a feature that tripadvisor has, namely a keyword search feature. So, for instance, on the TA site, I can search for all hotels in dumaguete that have the word "firm" anywhere in their entry on TA. Later, within the page for each hotel, I can keyword-search again for the same word in a search field applicable for all reviews for that hotel. Without this feature, finding every hotel that guests whose reviews have a specific term in them would be a long and laborious process. There may be a way to do that using google advanced search, and I am continuing to learn how to do that.

Davaoeno

Maybe its just me- but in over 50 years of travelling and booking accommodation I cant remember one time that I searched for the work "firm"

jtmwatchbiz
2 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Maybe its just me- but in over 50 years of travelling and booking accommodation I cant remember one time that I searched for the work "firm"

i think it's just you as i always search for "firm".  i don't like flexible pricing where they may offer lower rates and only select those with firm prices.  :biggrin_01:

seriously tho it could be the OP wants a firm mattress?  

Raven
16 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

That's maybe why AirBnB did not include the option...not much need of it, just always have 1" "queen size" plywood available. :)

• Like 1