Travel Cebu City to Talibon

shadow
6 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Ok, so there's a slow ferry directly from Cebu (near Mactan) to Talibon, while the fast boats seem to go elsewhere: Getafe or Tubigon.  The only company I could find that provides the Cebu-Talibon trip is VG shipping, and I couldn't find any info online on their schedules.  

From what I've understood so far, I guess I may leave one or more days' buffer between both the incoming and departing flights so as to not unduly depend on the scheduling of the ferries to either make an outgoing flight, or to get to a hotel on time.

Most of my questions have been answered.  However, if anyone has info on the scheduling of the slow ferry from Cebu to Talibon, that would be great.  Also, guidance regarding the best way to arrange a trip would help.   That is, call once I arrive, email in advance, etc.

Thanks to the board for all the info thus far.

Just get a ticket and get on the boat. Simple as that. Calls and emails will just confuse the issue.

• Like 3
SkyMan

I read someone's posts on fb that the last ferry from Movenpik leaves at 2PM.  Of course, if you get in later and can afford Movenpik you could stay a night and be set up for the first ferry the next day.  

Just don't take the slow RORO from Cebu to Talibon.  That was tedious and I'll never do that again.  The faster RORO to Getafe said they were full so we took the other.  We left at 11?  Noon?  After an hour or so the other one passed us at a fair clip which is a term not often associated with ROROs.  When we went by Getafe the slow one was long unloaded and we chugged on.  And on.  Almost dark before we arrived in Talibon.

I read someone's posts on fb that the last ferry from Movenpik leaves at 2PM.  Of course, if you get in later and can afford Movenpik you could stay a night and be set up for the first ferry the next day.  
Just don't take the slow RORO from Cebu to Talibon.  That was tedious and I'll never do that again.  The faster RORO to Getafe said they were full so we took the other.  We left at 11?  Noon?  After an hour or so the other one passed us at a fair clip which is a term not often associated with ROROs.  When we went by Getafe the slow one was long unloaded and we chugged on.  And on.  Almost dark before we arrived in Talibon.
You advise to not take the slow ferry from Cebu to Talibon, and instead to take one from Movenpick. Can you add some info here? Where does the Movenpick ferry go? Talibon? Getafe? And, is the Movenpick ferry a slow or fast ferry?

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Voyager39 said:

You advise to not take the slow ferry from Cebu to Talibon, and instead to take one from Movenpick. Can you add some info here? Where does the Movenpick ferry go? Talibon? Getafe? And, is the Movenpick ferry a slow or fast ferry?

I have no personal experience with the ferry from movenpik.  Sounds like @mikal does I was only relaying something I'd found online.  Ferries are a bit sketchy.  For the most part you can't just go to their website and book passage like a cruise ship.  The Philippines is still quite behind on the whole interwebs thing. For the most part people just show up and take what's available.  You might just call Movenpik and ask them about rooms and maybe they know or can find out the ferry schedule. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Not sure what's got you hooked on a 'slow' ferry to Talibon - most likely the fact that it DOES go directly to Talibon which IS nice.

But, to my knowledge, you have 2 'slow' ferries from Cebu City to Talibon.  One of them is a RoRo, so no cots, but some indoor, AC'd seating.  At 10pm VG has a 'slow' passenger ferry from Pier 3 to Talibon.  That's the one with the cots.  Pretty certain it's the Gloria Two, I've taken it FROM Talibon to Cebu City, but never in the other direction.  There's something about taking 50+ year old ferries, in the Philippines, at night, that doesn't interest me.

You don't have to get off when you arrive in Talibon (close to 2am), you can sleep in a bunk until morning, although I'm not sure until what time exactly.

I'm not sure what time VG's RoRo leaves Cebu City for Talibon.

Personally, I wouldn't go into Cebu City to get to Talibon from Mactan, I'd just go to the Hilton Pier.  Or even Cordova, although that's further from the airport and sort of isolated with not much more than a roof to stand under.

I also wouldn't be too concerned with getting across on the day I arrived, although that would depend on WHEN I arrived.  Assuming you're staying in one of the pension houses in Talibon, just message them if you can't get across, they will typically accommodate a schedule change for that.

The link below lists the schedules for Clemer lines - there are a some others, but I typically use Clemer.

Clemer Schedule

I know that the Cebu City (Pier 1) schedules to/from Getafe are accurate (as of a few weeks ago at least), but not sure about the Mactan schedules.  (I *think* the Ibo, Lapu-Lapu <-> Getafe run uses the 'Cebu Yacht Club pier in Lapu2x, but not certain)

OK, so what exactly are talking about here?  We're NOT talking about an OceanJet or SuperCat fast ferry like in the 1st pic below.

We're talking about a Bankga - 2nd pic below.  At least I *think* that's the right term.  That one actually looks like it's loading/unloading at the 'RoRo pier in Cordova.  Those are the 'fast ferries' that we're talking about in this instance.

The 'slow' passenger ferry to Talibon is actually the one in the 3rd pic - the Gloria Two.

And then the 4th pic is a VG RoRo, might or might not be the one that goes between Cebu City and Talibon, but I think that (VG RoRo II) is the one.

oceanjet.jpg

bangka from cordova.jpg

gloria two.jpg

vg roro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan

The super slow one from pier (3 maybe)  to Talibon like over 6 hours.  Locked like the 4th pic.