Voyager39

Travel Cebu City to Talibon

Voyager39

I'm looking to determine the best way to get from MCIA in Cebu to Talibon, and back.  So far, the online info indicates that a ferry ride from Cebu city to Getafe on the Supercat and a subsequent taxi ride is the fastest way.  However, I found some uneven reviews of this approach online.  Below, I list some of the considerations of interest to me in the hope that will help guide the answer.

If possible, I'd like to take the ferry on the same day as my plane lands.  If that's not realistic, I will adjust the plan accordingly (spend the night in Cebu).  My considerations are:  (a) Speed (some ferries seem to take about four hours, others about one hour);  (b) Baggage allowance carrying ability (I saw a 15kg extra-fee threshold on a tripadvisor review); (c) Comfort (having a bed/cot would be nice, but not at the expense of a major increase in travel time; (d) Reliability (if taken on the day I arrive, I'll be exhausted, and have a hotel waiting - wouldn't want to blow the reservation).  On the return trip, the reliability is even more of an issue, since a reservation on an international flight will be waiting.

liquido

Or Cebu to Tubigan less than 1 to 2 hours..good luck with taxi to Talibon..maybe one of the lumpers running around in Tunigan could set u up with with a private car..or suffer in a bus or van......Taxi's in Getafe? Hard to find even in Tagbilaran or Panglao..

Edited by liquido
  • Like 1

shadow
1 hour ago, Voyager39 said:

I'm looking to determine the best way to get from MCIA in Cebu to Talibon, and back.  So far, the online info indicates that a ferry ride from Cebu city to Getafe on the Supercat and a subsequent taxi ride is the fastest way.  However, I found some uneven reviews of this approach online.  Below, I list some of the considerations of interest to me in the hope that will help guide the answer.

If possible, I'd like to take the ferry on the same day as my plane lands.  If that's not realistic, I will adjust the plan accordingly (spend the night in Cebu).  My considerations are:  (a) Speed (some ferries seem to take about four hours, others about one hour);  (b) Baggage allowance carrying ability (I saw a 15kg extra-fee threshold on a tripadvisor review); (c) Comfort (having a bed/cot would be nice, but not at the expense of a major increase in travel time; (d) Reliability (if taken on the day I arrive, I'll be exhausted, and have a hotel waiting - wouldn't want to blow the reservation).  On the return trip, the reliability is even more of an issue, since a reservation on an international flight will be waiting.

Your expectations seem to be unrealistic. There is no place to lay down on the fast crafts, but often is on the slow boats. Same thing with luggage, you are much more likely to pay extra charges on the fast craft. Reliability is contingent on too many issues to predict, none are 100% reliable. Leave a day ahead of time and spend a night in Cebu on the way out, would be the most reliable way of catching your flight.

Your "taxi" is probably going to look something like this;

image.png

• Like 5

lamoe

Sent a txt to Inabanga asking how much, round trip,  in a mulicab, luggage not a problem

Won't vouch for reliability but will give you idea of what it would cost.

When coming - how long staying?

Edited by lamoe

Voyager39

Sent a txt to Inabanga asking how much, round trip,  in a mulicab, luggage not a problem
Won't vouch for reliability but will give you idea of what it would cost.
When coming - how long staying?

Expect to stay about 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

lamoe
45 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

Expect to stay about 3 weeks.

When coming?

It'll be  her uncle or BIL (if he's there)  - pretty reliable where money (for them :rolleyes:)  is concerned.

If BIL maybe a car with A/C

Mikal
2 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Don't go to Cebu City, just catch a ferry from Mactan to Getafe.  Then it's a trike to Talibon from Getafe.  There's no fast ferry to Talibon, even from Cebu City, that's the route that you've probably been looking at when seeing a 4-hour trip time.  One of the two boats that go between Cebu City and Getafe is a RoRo, the other just a larger, older, slower passenger ferry - actually a nice, relaxing ride going from Talibon to Cebu (9am departure from Talibon).  It's an overnighter in the other direction.

You can catch a fast ferry to Getafe from either the 'Hilton Pier' (there's no Hilton there anymore, it's a Movenpick now) or from the RoRo / Cordova pier.  The Hilton Pier is pretty close to the airport and is more of an actual ferry terminal.  I can't recall what line runs from the Hilton Pier to Getafe, haven't been stuck having to take that one in some time.  Clemer (and I think someone else) run between the RoRo Pier and Getafe.  Maybe just over 1.5 hours to Getafe.

The trikes will start you, at best, asking for 300php for the ride to Talibon (about 40-minutes).  It's not easy to get them down much going in that direction, you probably don't even want to sweat it at 300.  Talibon to Getafe it's usually pretty easy to get one for 200 or even a bit less.

• Like 2

lamoe

Google Maps

image.png.92b244162726281489d184665476d0b4.png

Voyager39

Don't go to Cebu City, just catch a ferry from Mactan to Getafe. 

Should the ferry ride from Mactan to Talibon be reserved in advance, or is it something one can just show up for, expecting to find an available seat?
Some on this forum seem to favor playing their travel plans by ear, but when I visited Cebu last August, I found that arrangements (i.e. for hotels, flights) to be heavily booked up in advance.

Should the ferry ride from Mactan to Talibon **

I meant - - Mactan to Getafe - - .

Voyager39

I meant the ferry from from Mactan to Getafe.

Mikal
27 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

Should the ferry ride from Mactan to Talibon be reserved in advance, or is it something one can just show up for, expecting to find an available seat?
Some on this forum seem to favor playing their travel plans by ear, but when I visited Cebu last August, I found that arrangements (i.e. for hotels, flights) to be heavily booked up in advance.

I meant - - Mactan to Getafe - - .

I was going to say some things in regards to your 'reliability' question, but at the end of the day I thought that what Shadow said was probably the simplest, best advice.

I don't think you can pre-book or reserve for any of the ferries mentioned, but I could be wrong.  Actually, right after Christmas some family did end up buying tickets for the overnight 'slow boat' from Cebu City to Talibon a day in advance - but that was because the ferry was sold out when we got to the pier the night they planned on going home.  ;-)

That's one of the things I was going to mention - be aware of the weather (for however much THAT might work - I was stuck in Talibon for 2 extra days just before Christmas last year), holidays and schedules that simply change.  I'd be surprised if anyone could challenge me for so intensely anal about things like scheduling trips, but you have to adjust, it's simply the way many things run / don't run here.  I know about the ferries running between Getafe and Mactan from not being able to get on a ferry to Cebu City, not because Mactan is convenient.  I even know that I can get a bankga from the Pasil Fish Market to Talibon (or to Inabanga for Lamoe's info) - not because I'm clever, but because we once absolutely had to get across, everything was sold out, and so some relative told us to go to the fish market.

So me?  I'd do as Shadow suggested and spend an evening in Cebu before my flight.  I'd actually take that 9am passenger ferry from Talibon, relax on a cot on the upper deck (2nd class I believe - 1st class is below deck) and enjoy the breeze and the small islands rolling by.  Get to Pier 3 in Cebu City about 12:30, spend the evening in the city and catch the flight the next day.

• Like 1

liquido
7 hours ago, shadow said:

Your expectations seem to be unrealistic. There is no place to lay down on the fast crafts, but often is on the slow boats. Same thing with luggage, you are much more likely to pay extra charges on the fast craft. Reliability is contingent on too many issues to predict, none are 100% reliable. Leave a day ahead of time and spend a night in Cebu on the way out, would be the most reliable way of catching your flight.

image.png

7 hours ago, shadow said:

image.png

WOW..Custom carriage including mags...

• Like 1

liquido

Or.... if you only come here once in a great while you can always splurge and impress the little lady like most members do here and that is to to try this means of transportation..Fast,reliable,no baggage issue and like the ad says "a manner you deserve"

http://www.airjuan.com/airjuan-fleet-bell-407.php

Voyager39

Ok, so there's a slow ferry directly from Cebu (near Mactan) to Talibon, while the fast boats seem to go elsewhere: Getafe or Tubigon.  The only company I could find that provides the Cebu-Talibon trip is VG shipping, and I couldn't find any info online on their schedules.  

From what I've understood so far, I guess I may leave one or more days' buffer between both the incoming and departing flights so as to not unduly depend on the scheduling of the ferries to either make an outgoing flight, or to get to a hotel on time.

Most of my questions have been answered.  However, if anyone has info on the scheduling of the slow ferry from Cebu to Talibon, that would be great.  Also, guidance regarding the best way to arrange a trip would help.   That is, call once I arrive, email in advance, etc.

Thanks to the board for all the info thus far.

Dafey
3 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

guidance regarding the best way to arrange a trip would help

all the ferries are a walk up service. On the larger companies, 2Go, SuperCat, etc. you can buy a ticket at a satellite office a couple of days in advance if you know when you're traveling.

Keep in mind there is always a no show factor even for prepurchased tickets as Filipino time 'is real' and peeps won't show up in time but the ferries keep a pretty tight schedule. As long as you are there an hour before, there will be seats.

• Like 1