Sign in to follow this  
James Bond

Ferry to Baybay?

Jawny

Travel between Ormoc and Baybay is pretty simple and cheap. Buses and vans are plentiful. I’d avoid vans myself, but that is because of their aggressive and overly fast driving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

James Bond
4 hours ago, Jawny said:

Travel between Ormoc and Baybay is pretty simple and cheap.

Any idea about Ormoc to Biliran? We'll be staying in MayLaka, on the west coast on the Biliran Circumferential Rd.

savarity

The busses are usually ok for these (relatively) short distances, such as ormoc to baybay or ormoc to Biliran.

I agree about vans going too fast. I took one from Tacloban to Ormoc once, not so pleasant.

Hiring a private van is ok if you want, but up to you if convenience to price makes it worth it. I'd just take the bus, probably save at least 2500p, or so.

• Thanks 1

James Bond

The Roble fast ferry did run.

I hired Alphabet Ormoc rent a car to get from Baybay to MayLaka on Biliran. They wanted 3500 for a city car, which sounded too small, so I opted for 4000 for a Suzuki Ertiga. They were so-so: inaccessible seatbelts and the driver didn't come inside my hotel to get my bag. 4K pesos seems expensive, and maybe I should have asked around the van terminal in Baybay to see if we could hire something cheaper. There were lots of vans there that said a route on their side, but none said Biliran or Naval, near where we were headed. They offered 3.5K to get me to Tacloban after the weekend, from where I'll head to Manila and home, but I'll try one of the better reviewed/recommended on the forums Tacloban-based car services.

• Like 1

badian

yes you should have asked around the van terminal and not relied on there being any signs. Only the more advanced terminals like in Cebu have half-decent signage.

there are heaps of vans going up to Naval from the Ormoc terminal, quite odd really as as a town, Naval is tiny. Many towns in the interior of Leyte that you likely never heard of, are bigger than Naval. But Naval, small as it is,  is a provincial capital. Maybe that is why I never had to wait longer for a van up there than about 30 minutes. 

Jawny

I believe there is a new terminal alongside the recently opened Robinson’s mall.  That may explain the lack of vans to some locations in the terminal nearest to the ferries.

James Bond
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

I believe there is a new terminal alongside the recently opened Robinson’s mall.  That may explain the lack of vans to some locations in the terminal nearest to the ferries.

I only looked around the Baybay terminal; I guess you're referring to Ormoc.

badian

oh right. Lol of course you'd have to change in Ormoc from Baybay. 

direct vans to Naval from a proper terminus as far as Leyte is concerned, are surely only from Ormoc and Tacloban. You'd have to change going from anywhere else.

Tacloban has the more options. You can get vans from there to other destinations in Biliran - not just Naval. 

Soupeod
10 hours ago, Jawny said:

Baybay vhire, bus etc still at the old terminal near the pier.

Navan, Tacloban vhires are now at Robinsons.