Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Cleaner Air Locations in Visayas

Voyager39
1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I am happy to live in Palompon Leyte and travel to Cebu City when I need city ammenities.

I can do Cebu City as a day trip via Ormoc in need but I have a direct daily boat depart 9am arrive 3pm in Cebu City. Depart 9pm Cebu City arrive 3am Palompon. The bus from Manila via Tacloban to Cebu City also passes through palompon. It crosses on the daily RORO ferry from Palompon to Bogo Cebu before heading to Cebu City

Check this video for standard daily traffic. 

Thanks for your response.  A couple of questions.  How do you find the air quality in Palompon?

Is there high vulnerability to storms/ typhoons in that area?

As an aside, your name brings back memories.  We corresponded a few times back around 2004 on some Yahoo groups that included Perry Gamsby and Paul (Woody) P. (can his name be spoken here?)  who, according to the net, has passed away.

fred42

Where I live.

Voyager39
7 minutes ago, fred42 said:

Where I live.

I can't tell if you intended to include a quote with this post.  Can you clarify?  Are you referring to Talibon?

Province-life

You could try Panay, it's 95% mountains. Somewhere close to IloIlo if you want to be near a city.

bounder

I have resided here on the west coast of Negros Island (just west of Cebu Island) for the past seven years.  Although the air is pretty clean at my location, there is always dust and then again, no matter where you live, there is always smoke from wood cooking fires everywhere.  The only truly clean air has been in the mountains east of me.  I have a friend who has a house up there and the vistas are fantastic.  

However, if you want some semblance of civilization along with a clean environment, I would guess you might want to check out Sipalay on the SW corner of Negros Island.  It is basically a resort community, but I found the air to be quite clean (if you live away from the highway).   The beaches are spotless and the inhabitants are accommodating. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sipalay

liquido
8 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Thank you for this info.  Would Talibon work better for my stated purpose?

Been to Talibon 3 times when I was living in Tagbilaran..Of course alot less commotion and pollution..They also have a mall that is quite small with nothing near the amenities as Tagbilaran(2 hour drive).Its only about 1 hour drive to Tubigan which you can easily hop a ferry to Cebu.You can also get a ferry to Leyte from Talibon.It sure beats Tagbilaran for tranquility,hardly any tourist and pollution..

Voyager39
19 minutes ago, liquido said:

Been to Talibon 3 times when I was living in Tagbilaran..Of course alot less commotion and pollution..They also have a mall that is quite small with nothing near the amenities as Tagbilaran(2 hour drive).Its only about 1 hour drive to Tubigan which you can easily hop a ferry to Cebu.You can also get a ferry to Leyte from Talibon.It sure beats Tagbilaran for tranquility,hardly any tourist and pollution..

Thank you for this info.  To clarify, you appear to be saying that Leyte beats Tagbilaran for tranquility.  Could you specify which city or region on Leyte you're referring to?

liquido

Never been to leyte,I was just saying you could take a ferry from Talibon to Leyte..The only thing I know is Leyte seems to be on the Typhoon highway..Im sure some of the members here from there could chime in..

Voyager39
1 hour ago, bounder said:

However, if you want some semblance of civilization along with a clean environment, I would guess you might want to check out Sipalay on the SW corner of Negros Island.  It is basically a resort community, but I found the air to be quite clean (if you live away from the highway).   The beaches are spotless and the inhabitants are accommodating. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sipalay

Thank you.  I will be checking out Sipalay.

Jim Sibbick
11 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Thanks for your response.  A couple of questions.  How do you find the air quality in Palompon?

Is there high vulnerability to storms/ typhoons in that area?

As an aside, your name brings back memories.  We corresponded a few times back around 2004 on some Yahoo groups that included Perry Gamsby and Paul (Woody) P. (can his name be spoken here?)  who, according to the net, has passed away.

You're welcome. 

The point of showing you the video is that there is not much traffic to make pollution.. That was the main street of Palompon at the start of the video and those Pot Pot's (pedicabs) really do make up the bulk of the traffic. There is a sort of peak hour about  5pm to 6pm where it is hard to cross the main road but streets away from the main street do not carry much traffic. I rent 500 metres from the pier. The traffic  in front of our apartment is about one car every 5 minutes.  And a few pot pots every minute. It costs P5 to ride a pot pot. Although I weigh about 3 times as much as a standard Filipino so I pay extra. 

The local industry is farming and tourism. So no factories belching smoke. So the air quality is just fine.  For tourism,

- people come to Palompon for the Tabuk marine sanctuary. It was that green island in the video near the town. 

- People travel to Palompon to get to Kalanggaman Island which you can see in the distance from the town. I regularly see white European women in town who have just visited the island. A few weeks ago, some one told me they saw a whole truckload of white foreigners. And he did mean a truckload as they were riding in the back of a truck. 

The whole of the Philippines is highly vulnerable to typhoons and storms. I don't think Palompon is special in that regard. Although with a different girlfriend to the one I have now, we were wiped out by Typhoon Yolanda.  My then girlfriend/fiance became my ex fiance when she had a baby to a Filipino while i was in Australia working extra long to get set up again. But a few years down the track and I am set up comfortably again with some one else.  My experience with all typhoons before yolanda and since yolanda has been party time. If I have been stopped from travelling because of a typhoon, it is party time until I can travel again. 

Paul Petrea was the former owner of these forums. There is a dedication thread to his memory. So there should be no need to worry about mentioning his name. Paul was my former business partner. When he left the Philippines for Australia in 2006, Perry Gamsby and myself were there waiting for him. I have had a lot to do with Perry Gamsby. I have known Perry since he was living in Bogo and have spent time at his homes in Bogo, Talisay and Sydney. 

• Like 1