Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Cleaner Air Locations in Visayas

Voyager39

Having gagged on the air in Cebu city on my first recon trip, I am planning a return trip to test out some cleaner-air locales.  The places I've identified as candidates so far are Puerto Princesa and Tagbilaran.  The logic is for one location to be about the cleanest possible, and for the second location to a little more realistic as a retirement locale (i.e. having some urban amenities etc.).   I plan to bring face masks, and some air purifiers this time, which I didn't know to bring the first time.

I'm posting to see if I've missed anything and if there are any better possible locations for what I have in mind.

SkyMan

Officially Palawan is part of the Visayas but you may lose some points with the locals if mention that. They were considered as part of Luzon and speak Tagalog so they identify with Luzon.  

You are going to have pollution in any of the larger cities so my advice is to get out of the city for cleaner air.  Also,  if you're along the hiway you're going to enjoy diesel fumes.

I live north of Cebu on a hill with a nice view and fairly clean air.  It's always cooler here and we don't have A/C. My wife complains it's cold sometimes, like today. 

• Like 4

TequilaSunset

Oddly I don't find the air to be that bad in the city. Street level, on the street, yeah (diesel fumes can be awful) but out and about in other areas, nothing too bad compared to what I am used to in the valley of Cali.

• Like 1

to_dave007

Try the west coast of Cebu Island..  less cars.. and an on shore wind a lot of the year.

• Like 4

RogerDuMond

Check out Bacolod.

• Like 2

Goetz1965

Cebu-City Inayawan - near SouthRoad and Coastal Area
Our 16" Standfan needed cleaning every month - the case and the blades were already black

Cebu-City Apas-Lahug - half way up to Marco Polo
Same 16" Standfan only needs to be cleaned every 4 month now 

That shows how different air quality is within the city.
If you think about living in Cebu-City avoid downtoan and move to the barangays up the hills

• Like 1

RR3
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Try the west coast of Cebu Island..  less cars.. and an on shore wind a lot of the year.

Depends on season. Now Amihan blowing off-shore. March-April turn to Habagath on-shore wind.

Less cars...hmmh. Most vans, cars parked here run the engine 'cause drivers sleep inside waiting for clients come back. And I mean for hours.

Solution: a hefty ticket for idling. Wont work, I know.

lamoe
3 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

Cebu-City Inayawan - near SouthRoad and Coastal Area
Our 16" Standfan needed cleaning every month - the case and the blades were already black

Cebu-City Apas-Lahug - half way up to Marco Polo
Same 16" Standfan only needs to be cleaned every 4 month now 

That shows how different air quality is within the city.
If you think about living in Cebu-City avoid downtoan and move to the barangays up the hills

High up / don't face street

Kitchen window screen - faces vent shaft - taken out and cleaned monthly - crap on outside - accumulates when air flow is reversed (going out balcony screen door) - same with front door screen

Balcony screen needed cleaning once in 1 1/2 years

20181018_125526[1].jpg

Salty Dog

The OP asked about places to visit other than Cebu City which he's already visited...

No need to discuss air quality in Cebu City in this travel thread...

• Like 1

smokey

I have never had a air problem and i anm a one lunger here in the city while home its all in the trees humans make bad air.trees good air

• Like 1

liquido
7 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Tagbilaran

When was the last time you where there? You will gag now with the belching trucks and more tricycle soot than you can imagine...One of the reasons why I left that place..

• Like 3

smokey

Talisay in mountains

Capture+_2019-01-20-18-54-59.png

Capture+_2019-01-20-18-49-56.png

• Like 2

easy44

Just about any location outside of the larger cities will have clean air. Choose based on other factors with air quality being secondary since it will be good in most rural areas.

• Like 3

Jim Sibbick

I am happy to live in Palompon Leyte and travel to Cebu City when I need city ammenities.

I can do Cebu City as a day trip via Ormoc in need but I have a direct daily boat depart 9am arrive 3pm in Cebu City. Depart 9pm Cebu City arrive 3am Palompon. The bus from Manila via Tacloban to Cebu City also passes through palompon. It crosses on the daily RORO ferry from Palompon to Bogo Cebu before heading to Cebu City

Check this video for standard daily traffic. 

• Like 1

Voyager39
4 hours ago, liquido said:

When was the last time you where there? You will gag now with the belching trucks and more tricycle soot than you can imagine...One of the reasons why I left that place..

Thank you for this info.  Would Talibon work better for my stated purpose?