Sign in to follow this  
RangerUp

Ateneo Junior HS principal more concerned about viral videos spread than sanctioning student bully

RangerUp

Ateneo Junior HS principal more concerned about viral video’s spread than sanctioning student

Instead of condemning the bullying incident, ADMU JHS principal Jose Antonio Salvador on Thursday (December 20) aired his concern over the sharing of the bully’s viral video because he is a minor.

“We express our concern also about the risks associated with sharing the video, online and in social media groups. Not only has the privacy rights of these minors, been breached (sic) but it has also provoked some reactions that do little to help the school in dealing appropriately with the incident,” he said.

“To the concerned individuals who have brought this matter directly to our attention, we thank you for your vigilance. May we appeal however to the rest to help in putting a stop to the indiscriminate spreading of the video,” Salvador added.

The two-minute video showed the bully taunting then punching and kicking his victim inside the ADMU JHS’ restroom. From the bully’s stance, it appeared that he had knowledge of martial arts.

Various social media posts have identified the bully as a member of ADMU JHS’ taekwondo varsity team.

Even though the video clearly showed the victim was helpless against the bully, Salvador merely described the incident as one that showed “fighting.”

“On December 19, 2018, a video that appears to feature Ateneo de Manila Junior High School students in a fight in the campus, has been making the rounds of social media. The video, taken at face value, depicts an evident act of violence that constitutes a serious violation of disciplinary misconduct,” he said. - https://politics.com.ph/ni-baby-pa-ang-bully-ateneo-junior-hs-principal-more-concerned-about-viral-videos-spread-than-sanctioning-student/

Video - https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=umIEL_1545352513

Headshot

This is out of date. The student in question was "dismissed" from Ateneo de Manila and has lost all affiliation with the Philippine Taekwondo Association. What "dismissed" means is that his parents were free to enroll him in another school within the Philippines, but he is not allowed to ever enroll in any Ateneo school. If he had been expelled, then he could no longer enroll in any school in the Philippines, which would have meant his parents would have to either have him home tutored or educated overseas. The ramifications of his affiliation loss in taekwondo include the loss of his belt and being permanently banned from further competition.

BTW, there were actually three videos (taken by his friends) showing him beating up three different students. Parents at ALL of the Ateneo schools followed this episode very closely, and the administration had no choice to do anything other than what they did. There would have been hell to pay if they had just slapped his wrist. Most parents actually would have preferred expulsion over dismissal.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

RangerUp

MANILA, Philippines — Even after the decision on the bullying case was handed down, Ateneo de Manila University president Jose Ramon Villarin believes that the “darkness” caused by the incident is far from over. “The events of the past few days have been quite challenging,” he said. “This dark episode, this darkness is far from over. Like you, I have been battered with all sorts of emotions inside: anger, grief, fear, despair, confusion.”

Over the past week, the Ateneo administration has been at the receiving end of the public outcry over the bullying incident involving its junior high school students.

Villarin said he has been afraid to go to the internet in recent days, noting how it can be a “dark and twisted place.” 

But citing the Gospel, Villarin said any place can be a place of light insofar as we allow God to make it. “We are the people to whom Jesus gave himself ‘to deliver us from all lawlessness and to cleanse for himself a people as his own, eager to do what is good,’” he said. “This vesting of God’s favor on us can be difficult to discern in times of darkness. But it is also during such times when this alighting of God’s love and God’s favor on us is most luminous.”  - https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/23/18/ateneo-dismisses-student-in-bullying-case

Didn't know the pres is also a priest.

Headshot
13 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Didn't know the pres is also a priest.

Ateneo is run by the Jesuits, the same Catholic order that runs Loyola University in the US and several other educational institutions around the world. Jesuits are priests.

Edited by Headshot

RangerUp
8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Ateneo is run by the Jesuits, the same Catholic order that runs Loyola University in the US and several other educational institutions around the world. Jesuits are priests.

Still seems strange the prez is also priest.

Loyala's isn't.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

there were actually three videos (taken by his friends) showing him beating up three different students. Parents at ALL of the Ateneo schools followed this episode very closely, and the administration had no choice to do anything other than what they did. There would have been hell to pay if they had just slapped his wrist. Most parents actually would have preferred expulsion over dismissal.

Why did it take 3? Or even 2? One should have been enough to get him off the team.  2nd should have been adios.

• Like 2

Headshot
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Why did it take 3? Or even 2? One should have been enough to get him off the team.  2nd should have been adios.

It didn't, but there were three that had been posted online. It just made for ore evidence that it wasn't just a one-time mistake. The school, however, dismissed him based just on the one video. Ateneo parents have several FB groups, and this stuff circulated on those groups first. That was where the pressure to get rid of the kid came from. Ateneo supposedly has a zero-tolerance policy on bullying. However, we all know that rules are sometimes bent for kids when the family has a lot of influence, so it was good that there was plenty of back-up evidence.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

SkyMan

Well, I wonder if anything would have have been done had the videos not been posted. I would surmise from the principal's comments that it would have been ignored since he seems only concerned with the posting of the video.  I can understand his wanting to protect the school's image but his reaction does more harm than good.  I thought Ateneo was at least somewhat exclusive which usually means strict. I can see a lot of parents now wondering if their children are safe at a school that would allow this. 

• Like 1

RangerUp
6 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I thought Ateneo was at least somewhat exclusive which usually means strict.

That was the real 'news' for me, not the midget bully.

• Like 1

KID

I will take Broden's kid for $100 usd :)

• Like 1

SkyMan

It would have been much smarter to release a statement to the effect that "We are aware of the events and our disciplinary board is looking into it.  I can assure you this behavior is not in keeping  with the ideals of this school. " It could be a complete lie but it would buy them time, quell the outrage, and maintain the school's image.  Of course, they would have to follow up on the discipline. 

But no. He says,  it's unfortunate that video is being shared. Please stop. 

• Like 3

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, KID said:

I will take Broden's kid for $100 usd :)

I agree but I'm sure he has been taught it's for defense save for similarly matched bouts and not be a thug.

Headshot

There was a lot of speculation about this on the FB parent groups. It is impossible to know what the Ateneo leadership would (or wouldn't) have done if the videos hadn't been published. My guess is that they (like everybody else) had no clue that this was going on. If the beat downs had been reported to DOSS (which is the disciplinary department for each Ateneo school) without the videos, then DOSS and Counseling would have handled the incidents .

Like I said, Ateneo has a zero tolerance policy on bullying, but it isn't always followed (just as it isn't always followed for other offenses). Sometimes a student may get off with a disciplinary warning (which is pretty serious in its own right) for a first offense. Ateneo is primarily there to teach, so they prefer to try to change the offender first, if they can. That said, though, I know of students who were tossed at Ateneo de Cebu for bullying.

Staying at Ateneo is competitive, and there are many things that can get a student booted. Bullying is just one of them. Poor academic or behavioral performance can get a student booted, but usually at least one chance to correct the behavior is given before the student gets the boot. This case was different because the videos showed how serious the situation and that the kid had a habit of doing this. He was using the videos to brag about his behavior (and presumably raise his standing in the eyes of others, but it obviously didn't work out the way he had envisioned.

Ateneo (and every other school in the Philippines) tries to protect its image, so I can understand why the principal said he was afraid to go on the internet anymore. He said some things in his response for which I'm sure he is sorry (because MANY parents took him to task for his emphasis on the publicity rather than on the incidents). People with no affiliation to Ateneo may see this and be shocked, but I can tell you that nobody was as shocked as the parents of other Ateneo students. I believe that every Ateneo president (for each of their schools) issued later statements about the incident to parents that didn't emphasize the publicity, but rather the policy on bullying. In the end, I think that Ateneo got the message from the parents loud and clear that this kind of behavior was never to be tolerated.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Headshot

The fact is that there is bullying wherever kids are. I doubt there is anybody who didn't known bullies as a youth. I know I did. I have very little tolerance for bullies, and I still stand up to them wherever they are. School administrators should hold off on their responses when something like this happens because their initial reaction may not be the best reaction. It would have been much better if nothing had been said by an Ateneo administrator until discipline had been meted out. It also would have been better if the school's response had focused on the incident rather than the bad publicity school was receiving. And administrators will hopefully remember that parents will not tolerate them trying to control publicity rather than trying to control the situation in the school.

RangerUp
17 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

But no. He says,  it's unfortunate that video is being shared. Please stop.  

He also said

“Like you, I have been battered with all sorts of emotions inside: anger, grief, fear, despair, confusion. Yes, there is still fear, but the fear is not greater than our faith. Yes, there is still pain, but the pain is still not greater than our hope. And if hate and apathy seem to be enduring, these can never be greater than love. I may be surrounded by darkness, but I am not afraid. I am with you. There is a lot of dark out there for us to lose heart in our humanity. Are we so hopeless, so terribly forsaken, abandoned? We are the people to whom Jesus gave himself ‘to deliver us from all lawlessness and to cleanse for himself a people as his own, eager to do what is good. This vesting of God’s favor on us can be difficult to discern in times of darkness. But it is also during such times when this alighting of God’s love and God’s favor on us is most luminous.” 

which is not how I expect an administrator to react, nevermind the boss of all administrators, doesn't seem very professional. Although he's also a priest, so I guess it fits.

The question for foreigners is if you're a parent, would you want your child to be educated by priests in that environment? And if not, are you willing to pay basically double to keep your kid away from that indoctrination, in one of the international schools?