Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

Reducing Mosquito Bite Itching

Kreole

try this antihistamine, Cetirizine 10 mg.  cheap at The Generic Pharmacy.  It is not an immediate effect, but it lasts a long time.  I take 1/2 tab at night before bed because I get bit while I sleep and don't have to wake up to scratch them.  I don't like any topical cream on my skin or repellent, so that works for me.

easy44
10 hours ago, Kreole said:

try this antihistamine, Cetirizine 10 mg.  cheap at The Generic Pharmacy.  It is not an immediate effect, but it lasts a long time.  I take 1/2 tab at night before bed because I get bit while I sleep and don't have to wake up to scratch them.  I don't like any topical cream on my skin or repellent, so that works for me.

The problem with that is cetirizine will stop the itching but not the bite. Will not help prevent dengue.

• Like 1

Kreole
2 hours ago, easy44 said:

The problem with that is cetirizine will stop the itching but not the bite. Will not help prevent dengue.

Yes, that is true, but this post is how to stop the itching, not dengue or malaria or the many other diseases mosquitos transmit.  I am afraid we are all at risk of some of these diseases as long as we are here.  It is part of the calculation we must use regarding the positive and negative aspects of living here.

To be perfectly safe one must practically bathe in mosquito repellant, wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, socks and shoes.  Shorts and sandals are out as are light weight short sleeve shirts, Tshirts and no shirts at all.

Edited by Kreole

hyaku

Got contact dermatitis a few time working outside. Skin complaints here I have never even seen before. That and tonggaw (tiny orange ticks). I tried a full wetsuit to clear jungle and they "still" got inside.

Ceterizine is a must in our med box. 

• Like 1

TequilaSunset

Good reads in here... lucky me mosquitoes don't like to fest on me, occasionally I get a bite. (I shower I swear!!) 

Sealover

I use Lidokain it works well to take the itchy

• Like 1

JohnSurrey

Calmoseptine Ointment = Zinc Oxide + Calamine

Use it on the children and ourselves whenever we get a bite.

Give the children Allerkid (Ceterezine) if they have a big bite to stop them scratching it and making it worse.

Cheap as well - 36 peso a sachet at mercury or rose etc.

http://www.calmoseptineointment.com/

Edited by JohnSurrey

rfm010
21 hours ago, Sealover said:

I use Lidokain it works well to take the itchy

Lidocaine paste can be found in some medical supply stores--look in the dental section.  2 and 4% solutions can be found in the pharmacy section of stores in the states.  I have a couple of bottles of band-aid brand.  Useful for skeeter bites and mango rashes, and for whatever might get you while snorkeling (havent had the opportunity to try it for urchin spines or shark bites).

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
20 hours ago, Kreole said:

Yes, that is true, but this post is how to stop the itching, not dengue

of course you are correct in a literal way but i think what caught easy44's eye and mine as well was you saying that you take medicine before you go to bed because you get bit while you sleep.  in your case i think mentioning dengue makes sense as it seems you are getting bit quite often.  you should probably try to improve your home's ability to keep the mosquitoes from getting inside. 

• Like 2

Sealover

Each time I go to bed I always start itching, only after a special exercise the itching disappear again for a while

• Haha 2

jtmwatchbiz
2 minutes ago, Sealover said:

Each time I go to bed I always start itching, only after a special exercise the itching disappear again for a while

have only rarely heard of that happening here in cebu city.   could that be a dumaguete related malady?  :biggrin_01:

Sealover

I feel it worse when I visit Cebu sometimes, it can hit so hard I even forget time and place

Edited by Sealover
  • Haha 1

Soupeod
22 hours ago, Kreole said:

Yes, that is true, but this post is how to stop the itching, not dengue or malaria or the many other diseases mosquitos transmit.  I am afraid we are all at risk of some of these diseases as long as we are here.  It is part of the calculation we must use regarding the positive and negative aspects of living here.

To be perfectly safe one must practically bathe in mosquito repellant, wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, socks and shoes.  Shorts and sandals are out as are light weight short sleeve shirts, Tshirts and no shirts at all.

It is safer here where I live.... than Cebu.. so dont make “here” everywhere.

Edited by soupeod

Soupeod

Cebu = dengue, drugs, big city, malls and condos. Goodluck.

to answer the Op, drink more Vodka.. i dont feel any thing 😁

• Haha 1

bkb1

• Thanks 3