Sign in to follow this  
RogerDuMond

Bacolod

SkyMan

Back when our bike group was together we did a ride around Leyte and there were a few comments at the first stop of how clean it was.  The next day I noticed one of the riders in front of me toss off a water bottle.  I didn't confront them but later suggested we add some rules regarding group image including no littering,  etc. and they were ok with that but the group broke up fairly soon after.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

RogerDuMond

The ride over was interesting to say the least. My niece was going over so my son and I rode with her. We took the fast craft from Toledo to San Carlos. About one quarter of the way across Negros she lost her transmission and the truck wouldn't move at all. She called her husband who is a PNP Task Force commander in Bacolod. Within 10 minutes four officers with automatic weapons showed up and stood guard until her husband and driver showed up about 30 minutes after we broke down. Apparently the area currently has a lot of NPA activity. The next day, two armed officers drove us to Isabela to pick up the goat and then back to the PNP camp in Bacolod for lunch. After a tour of the camp, the two officers drove us to the port in San Carlos for the trip back to Toledo. The whole thing was eye opening to say the least.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

shadow
12 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

The ride over was interesting to say the least. My niece was going over so my son and I rode with her. We took the fast craft from Toledo to San Carlos. About one quarter of the way across Negros she lost her transmission and the truck wouldn't move at all. She called her husband who is a PNP Task Force commander in Bacolod. Within 10 minutes four officers with automatic weapons showed up and stood guard until her husband and driver showed up about 30 minutes after we broke down. Apparently the area currently has a lot of NPA activity. The next day, two armed officers drove us to Isabela to pick up the goat and then back to the PNP camp in Bacolod for lunch. After a tour of the camp, the two officers drove us to the port in San Carlos for the trip back to Toledo. The whole thing was eye opening to say the least.

The last place I think I would want to be, is with a couple of PNP officers in the hills of Northern Negros! The NPA hangs out in groups of 10-20 up there, and love to find a couple of PNP officers out alone. Foreigners and civilians caught up in a crossfire are just collateral damage. 

We often travel these backroads, but if the PNP come around, we give them a wide berth.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
53 minutes ago, shadow said:

The last place I think I would want to be, is with a couple of PNP officers in the hills of Northern Negros!

The ones we rode with to get the goat were in civilian clothes and we were in a private pickup truck.

RR3

Bacolod is surprisingly big. Got nice vibrations. And Iloilo even more 'cause no street dogs; mayor's orders to kill them all :animal0019:

• Like 1

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, RR3 said:

Bacolod is surprisingly big. Got nice vibrations. And Iloilo even more 'cause no street dogs; mayor's orders to kill them all :animal0019:

I'm staying out of that town then...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

profits101

I like Bacolod quite a bit. Usually land there as part of a trip to visit gf's family in the Manapla area to the north, and then further inland to a place called San Pablo, which is serious province area. Contributing to that clean image is the prevalence of all the sugar cane. The sugar cane seems to provide a decent level of basic employment, and over time contributed to much of the history of the entire area, such as the ancestral homes in Silay City. Lot of great old steam engines pop up in museums or parks in the area from the period when plantations would use them to bring the harvest in - some are still in use. Bacolod has some good museums, an SM City, etc. The City park is classic Beaux Arts, with art deco statuary of a man and woman accompanied by carabao. I've looked at housing prices there before and it is cheap (compared to Cebu) - from single family detached to condo. Also some good schools in the area, such as La Salle. They seem to have some strong economic base with call centre as well. Not quite sure how I would work myself into living there, but I haven't crossed it off. I agree, it's really refreshing going there, and I don't see Cebu City getting its act together soon in terms of civic improvements. Flight is about 50 minutes with morning and late afternoon PAL service. In the past I've just gotten a driver and car to go see things in the area - some WWII sites/Japanese pillboxes, Patag, Silay, etc. 

20180524_174422.jpg

20161229_125114.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RedRanger
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, RogerDuMond said:

I went to Bacolod the other day to pick up a goat and I was amazed with the city. On the roads we traveled I saw very few shanties along the roads, most buildings were well kept and well built. The most amazing thing to me though was the lack of trash. There was almost no trash thrown anywhere along the roads we traveled. The place seemed super clean compared to any area that I have seen on Cebu.

Not to slam Cebu, but it has always seemed dirty to me compared to other cities in the Philippines, at least the Cebu Proper area

• Like 3

HTM
On 1/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, RogerDuMond said:

to pick up a goat

No photos of the VIP goat?  hehe

davehud
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, RogerDuMond said:

That must be one special goat!

SkyMan

Love the ride over from San Carlos to Bacolod. Beautiful.  Funny though. As you are nearing Bacolod on a very straight hiway there's (was anyway) a big sign warning the road ahead was dangerous with many accidents.  Very shortly afterwards there's a Tanduay distillery.  Hahahaha 

• Haha 1